Key fob locked in car while running - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By plainwrap

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Key fob locked in car while running

So either beware or offer a work around that 2 dealers could not. I started my car, had the fob in the car, got out of the car, it is set for auto lock, figured with the fob in it and the car running I was good. Guess again... could not open the car. Even though the fob was in proximity to the car it was IN the car and therefore the door handle would not unlock the car. Had to have someone bring me my extra fob from home, I was lucky to be local at the time. So beware, if you are set for auto lock when you leave the car you can't get out of the car while running and close the door with the fob in the car or you are locked out! WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 AM

Garage
Wow, that shouldn't happen. Sounds like something Fiat needs to fix with a software update.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 AM
56S

Another reason I disable as many of these "safety and security" features. I screw up enough on my own. Don't need help from anyone or anything in that department.

2017 Rosso Abarth Brembos & Recaros, Spiderdome, Weathertechs, 3" Seatbelt extenders and Ameridan's Tweaks.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post
Wow, that shouldn't happen. Sounds like something Fiat needs to fix with a software update.
Not necessary, if you're in the car stopped at a red light, then anyone could come and open the door. I didn't activate this option, cause the way we're seated, my cell phone, keys and ect. do fall from the pocket.

124 RED SPIDER MANUAL STICK ABARTH. DV + with V1, Euro-drive-lite- Dynamic + map.
My SCATOLETTA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Another reason I disable as many of these "safety and security" features. I screw up enough on my own. Don't need help from anyone or anything in that department.
Well this is one you actually have to activate - from the factory it is not turned on. I left mine off as I feel more secure not trusting a car to lock itself. But I'm surprised it would do it with the key in the car since if you otherwise go out of your way to leave the key in the car the car beeps annoyingly.

kpoling

Spider Lusso - Bronzo Magnetico - Titanium
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Aloha

Couldn't you get the emergency key cut and hide it somewhere on the car frame?

Aloha! !! !!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Lesson learned

First, the walk away auto lock is disabled now. Second, I will never be without a spare just in case. I cannot believe it is designed this way.... but I am still enjoying the car.
kpoling likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Garage
I have the feature enabled, and when I walk away the car beeps 5 times and stays running, with the key on me I can't lock the door. When I go to get gas i leave the door propped a little so that I can open the gas tank door. So it sounds like if I want to keep the car running and lock the door, all i have to do is remove the key from the case and manually lock it. I wonder if the transponder is in the key.

2017 Bianco Perla Tri-Coat White w/Brembos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page