HELP! Stripped Exhaust Studs - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy HELP! Stripped Exhaust Studs

On Saturday we installed my new GWR exhaust. Everything removed easily up till we had to remove the crossover pipe. We had soaked the stud nuts for over 1.5 hours. First one can off with a lot of squeaking. The second froze and we had to use a little heat. It came off but also all the threads on the stud. Installed system ,made no sense to put old back on. Pipe is now on with only one nut on the exhaust stud plus the bolt and bracket on the other side of the crossover pipe. System sounds great but I do have a small exhaust leak. No for the crusher. Stopped at my local Fiat dealer to see if studs can be purchased. They tell me the studs are
" Non Servicable". You have to buy a complete catalytic converter with the studs. Did not even ask the price. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on a fix for my problem. Help needed.
Thanks
Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
Man that sucks. It seems the cat studs are hit and miss for people. The nuts come off easy for some people. Others have had studs break. Quite a few people that have installed the crosspipe have symptoms of an exhaust leak. My shop had trouble getting the nuts loose and stopped before they caused an issue. I have the crosspipe but don't know if I'll ever get it installed.

Sorry, I'm not sure how you can fix your issue without replacing the cat.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Yup, no doubt, that sucks. :-(
Don't give up though. Someone else here on the forum had a broken stud same problem and hopefully they will chime in. If I recall they had to pull off the downpipe/converter and then they removed the broken stud and replace it with a new bolt. Not sure if they drilled out the old stud or used an easy-out.

Most manufacturers/dealerships say "non-servicaeble" when one of two things occur.
1. They lack the initiative/ingenuity to fix the problem
or
2. The labor costs at $100 an hour make it cheaper to replace the complete unit.

Good luck and report back how you solve the problem.

17 Abarth, manual, luxury group, Rosso Red. Progress Springs, V1 intake, DV+ diverter valve, TR Motorsports FF10 wheels, Pirelli Pzero+ 215/45/17, GWR full Abarth Exhaust, Wilwood BBK
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwfz6 View Post
Yup, no doubt, that sucks. :-(
Don't give up though. Someone else here on the forum had a broken stud same problem and hopefully they will chime in. If I recall they had to pull off the downpipe/converter and then they removed the broken stud and replace it with a new bolt. Not sure if they drilled out the old stud or used an easy-out.

Most manufacturers/dealerships say "non-servicaeble" when one of two things occur.
1. They lack the initiative/ingenuity to fix the problem
or
2. The labor costs at $100 an hour make it cheaper to replace the complete unit.

Good luck and report back how you solve the problem.
Brandon attempted repair after breaking a stud, but he now has symptoms of an exhaust leak (various CEL codes).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:21 PM

My installer broke one of the studs but managed to remove it and install an identical stud. No further issues.we
sharkcohen and jpwfz6 like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That's a s start. Did he have to remove the cat. or was he able to do the removal from underneath.
Thanks for the info.
Jimbo
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:19 PM
56S

Are these studs stainless?

2017 Rosso Abarth Brembos & Recaros, Spiderdome, Weathertechs, 3" Seatbelt extenders and Ameridan's Tweaks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Are these studs stainless?
Interesting thought. I know from experience with stainless hardware that it is difficult to take apart especially if the stud is stainless, and the nut is zinc plated, unless they were treated with some sort of lubricant such as vaseline or grease on assembly. Maybe that is why so many of us are having these problems.

As an aside, having to replace a complete catalytic converter because of a stripped stud is utterly ridiculous. The studs should be readily available from a number of sources, such as McMaster Carr. I believe others on the forum were able to replace the studs on their cats.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
But, can the stud be replaced with the cat in the car?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 AM
56S

Galling often occurs during installation by using too high of a tool speed. There aren't many thread lubes that hold up well to the heat of an exhaust system to prevent it from happening during removal. I've used a moly based anti sieze on exhaust manifold studs in the past but luckily never had to go back years later and remove the nut.

2017 Rosso Abarth Brembos & Recaros, Spiderdome, Weathertechs, 3" Seatbelt extenders and Ameridan's Tweaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page