Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

How the vocal command system works

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wedgewa 
#1 ·
I am close to clueless about how the system works. The manual hint some sentences, but the extent of how to execute certain actions, and what to say to get there, is still nebulous.

I did try to set a course (take us out, Mr Sulu) to a location, using vocal commands; and nothing really happened. Tried to send a message via phone; no luck. some commands will surprise you (next station did work spot on), while the rest is just a mystery at this point.

Did anyone tried all the available commands, to get down to what is actually mapped with audio controls, and what is not? Also don't try to speak while the top is down and you are cruising on a highway, because the microphone does not even get your commands :(

#3 ·
Funny, I've never even tried voice command. Maybe it's because I have PTSD from Siri on my iPhone. She rarely understands me. Maybe I have too much saliva in my mouth from chewing gum or something. I guess I'll eventually get around to giving it a try, but I'm doubtful.

#4 ·
I have no clue about what the system actually process :) Took me a while to learn the voice system of another brand, which is a luxury brand; and even that one was blind to Google or Siri connectivity; being a 2010 car.

Did anyone made a mod for the onboard software to make it run with Android or iOS systems? They are far from perfect but at least get stuff somehow

#6 ·
There are built in tutorials. Seems to me I found access to them by pressing the voice button and being at a total loss for words. I Using my phone I recorded the options and took photos of the screens.

#7 ·
i used to use it to dial call in my old car but hit a wall in this car, it never understands what i want. wish it did as i hate to look down to dial would rather just speak my commands

#8 · (Edited)
Here's Mazda's list of commands to print and get you started. It all starts with the TALK button...

ACTIVATE VOICE RECOGNITION:

Short-press the TALK button on your steering wheel to activate voice recognition.
[System: Beep.] Say a command.

CANCEL OR END VOICE RECOGNITION:

Press and hold TALK.
Or, short-press TALK.
[System: Beep.] Say "CANCEL" to end voice recognition. May be used at any time during voice recognition.

ACCESS HELP FOR USING VOICE RECOGNITION:

[System: Beep.] Say "HELP" for options in your current area of operation.

#9 ·
One thing I've found that works well is tuning in those (USA) short range AM radio traffic advisory frequencies (most often around here: 1610). Press the voice button, wait for beep, "Go to 1-6-1-0 A-M" and it happens. Press voice button after to exit voice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.