How the vocal command system works - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By LongBeachJim
  • 1 Post By ameridan

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How the vocal command system works

I am close to clueless about how the system works. The manual hint some sentences, but the extent of how to execute certain actions, and what to say to get there, is still nebulous.

I did try to set a course (take us out, Mr Sulu) to a location, using vocal commands; and nothing really happened. Tried to send a message via phone; no luck. some commands will surprise you (next station did work spot on), while the rest is just a mystery at this point.

Did anyone tried all the available commands, to get down to what is actually mapped with audio controls, and what is not? Also don't try to speak while the top is down and you are cruising on a highway, because the microphone does not even get your commands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 PM

I wish it was more like our other car. Simply say "Navigate to <insert address/city/st here>" and the navigation feature will set up the route. Every time I try it with the Fiat it never works... I always get prompted for other stuff.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:08 AM

Garage
Funny, I've never even tried voice command. Maybe it's because I have PTSD from Siri on my iPhone. She rarely understands me. Maybe I have too much saliva in my mouth from chewing gum or something. I guess I'll eventually get around to giving it a try, but I'm doubtful.

2017 124 Abarth. Previous: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport, 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring convertible, 1996 BMW 328IC convertible , 1995 Camaro V-6 coupe. Current garage mate for trips to Costco: 2009 Genesis sedan V-8.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have no clue about what the system actually process Took me a while to learn the voice system of another brand, which is a luxury brand; and even that one was blind to Google or Siri connectivity; being a 2010 car.

Did anyone made a mod for the onboard software to make it run with Android or iOS systems? They are far from perfect but at least get stuff somehow
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 AM

Being Scottish, voice command systems are useless to me.

2017 Fiat 124 Abarth 6MT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 AM
56S

There are built in tutorials. Seems to me I found access to them by pressing the voice button and being at a total loss for words. I Using my phone I recorded the options and took photos of the screens.

2017 Rosso Abarth Brembos & Recaros, Spiderdome, Weathertechs, 3" Seatbelt extenders and Ameridan's Tweaks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Garage
i used to use it to dial call in my old car but hit a wall in this car, it never understands what i want. wish it did as i hate to look down to dial would rather just speak my commands

“The greatest challenge in life is to be our own person and accept that being different is a blessing and not a curse. A person who knows who they are lives a simple life by eliminating from their orbit anything that does not align with his or her overriding purpose and values. A person must be selective with their time and energy because both elements of life are limited.”
Kilroy J. Oldster, Dead Toad Scrolls
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Here's Mazda's list of commands to print and get you started. It all starts with the TALK button...

Quote:
ACTIVATE VOICE RECOGNITION:

Short-press the TALK button on your steering wheel to activate voice recognition.
[System: Beep.] Say a command.

CANCEL OR END VOICE RECOGNITION:

Press and hold TALK.
Or, short-press TALK.
[System: Beep.] Say "CANCEL" to end voice recognition. May be used at any time during voice recognition.

ACCESS HELP FOR USING VOICE RECOGNITION:

[System: Beep.] Say "HELP" for options in your current area of operation.
56S likes this.

Last edited by ameridan; 06-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 PM

One thing I've found that works well is tuning in those (USA) short range AM radio traffic advisory frequencies (most often around here: 1610). Press the voice button, wait for beep, "Go to 1-6-1-0 A-M" and it happens. Press voice button after to exit voice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page