4 speaker vs 9 speaker Bose? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 24Likes

post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
4 speaker vs 9 speaker Bose?

Sorry if there was a thread already made for this, but I was wondering if anyone actually tried both speaker systems out? Obviously the 9 Bose will sound better but I just wanted to know if there was a noticeable difference? Reason I'm asking is because i'm currently weighing my options between the safety&comfort package and the lux package. If there really isn't a difference I might just have to do without the daytime lamps/leather seats and go with the S&C package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Haven't played with it much yet, but the "Bose® Premium Sound System with 9 Amplified Speakers and Subwoofer" that we've supposedly got seems a bit ordinary to be honest.
Unknownsir likes this.

RBH58
Current rides: 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition & 2017 MX5 RF 2.0 GT Black Roof
Former rides: MY14 Subaru BRZ, MY11 Renaultsport Megane Cup, MY13 Alfa MiTo QV, MY08 Mazda MX5, MY08 Volvo C30 T5 R-Design, MY05 Alfa 147GTA, MY01 Audi TT 225 quattro, MY98 Honda Prelude SH ATTS
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:12 PM

I concur. The Bose system sounds good, but isn't as powerful as I'd hoped. The Audiopilot (automatic volume compensation for road noise) feature doesn't seem to do much. I still have to crank it up at speed, then turn it down when I go slower. Overall it's a good system, but not great.

I can't really compare it to the base system, though.
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:42 AM

Garage
On a dark desert highway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
I concur. The Bose system sounds good, but isn't as powerful as I'd hoped.....
I can't really compare it to the base system, though.

I have the standard Lusso speakers. Playing with the fader, if I put most of the output at "rear" it can still be heard, but best is about 80% "front". With a bit of tweaking of the treble and base, I can play Hotel California on the MP3 loud enough for my liking but above 60mph it's getting a bit faint.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 AM

So maybe the Bose system would be best characterized as "less weak"?
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 AM

I was thinking same thing. I did not notice much difference when driving back to back - but just turned both radios on without trying to make any adjustments.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM

They say the base stereo system is 4 speakers but it is really 6 by the way. Full range speakers in the doors. Tweeters on the A-pillars. And to my surprise, driver's headrest speakers. I thought those only came with the higher end stereo.

In any case, my base stereo unit in my Ford Fiesta has significantly better sound and features. I was kind of surprised how much they cheaped out on the Fiat. It's a carry over from the Miata though. I think simply upgrading the door speakers could help with the overall sound quite a lot.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipshot View Post
So maybe the Bose system would be best characterized as "less weak"?

"less weak" than what? Ours has the Lusso Premium 9 speaker, and it's the 'weakest' radio I've had in any car, and I've had some pretty cheap radios. AM and FM reception is very poor, static-y, muffled on and off when driving through areas that are rock solid with our Fiat 500 and Honda Odyssey. The sound for Satellite is fine, as far as Satellite goes, and the USB and aux are fine, but the sound to the rear speakers is practically non-existent unless turning the fader to favor the rear speakers by a large amount. Certainly wouldn't describe this as a Premium radio. Also, it's kind of fussy to drill down thru the menus to select all the tuning changes, or change sources or stations. I'd rather have a few more dedicated buttons or knobs. The Steering wheel toggle controls are not very ergonomic -- I quite often hit the wrong button or hit the center toggle position by mistake when trying to select the up or down toggle. Same complaint for the cruise control toggles. I really like the Fiat 500 steering wheel controls, and especially because it's enhanced with buttons on the back side of the steering wheel as well as the front side. Fiat/Mazda could have done a lot better with this design.
Unknownsir and lordofthewings like this.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM

I have the 9-speaker system in my Abarth, and I would agree that the sound is pretty middle-of-the-road...my Mercedes SUV has better sound... but it has Harmon-Kardon speakers, and the subwoofer is in the rear liftgate. I also noted what may be an anomaly, or may just be I wasn't paying close attention...the headrest speakers worked clearly when I got a Bluetooth phone call, but they were indistinguishable when using sat radio. Will listen more carefully and see if there is anything coming out of the headrest speakers other than phone.

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth Bianco Perla AT
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvon Elrod View Post
"less weak" than what? Ours has the Lusso Premium 9 speaker, and it's the 'weakest' radio I've had in any car, and I've had some pretty cheap radios. AM and FM reception is very poor, static-y, muffled on and off when driving through areas that are rock solid with our Fiat 500 and Honda Odyssey. The sound for Satellite is fine, as far as Satellite goes, and the USB and aux are fine, but the sound to the rear speakers is practically non-existent unless turning the fader to favor the rear speakers by a large amount. Certainly wouldn't describe this as a Premium radio. Also, it's kind of fussy to drill down thru the menus to select all the tuning changes, or change sources or stations. I'd rather have a few more dedicated buttons or knobs. The Steering wheel toggle controls are not very ergonomic -- I quite often hit the wrong button or hit the center toggle position by mistake when trying to select the up or down toggle. Same complaint for the cruise control toggles. I really like the Fiat 500 steering wheel controls, and especially because it's enhanced with buttons on the back side of the steering wheel as well as the front side. Fiat/Mazda could have done a lot better with this design.
Less weak than the base radio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page