How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 35Likes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket

How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket

Overview:
Turbo thermal blankets are used to wrap the exhaust side of the turbo and replace the OEM heat shield. While the heat shield does a decent job of reflecting radiant heat, a turbo thermal blanket is much more effective. Turbo thermal blankets have the benefit of reducing under-hood temperatures (which reduces heat soak and intake air temps), as well as extending the life of surrounding components. By keeping all of the heat inside the turbo, a turbo thermal blanket also keeps energy inside the turbo, which aids in making power by spooling the turbo faster and making it more efficient. This tutorial provides instructions for installing the Madness Autoworks Fiat 124 Spider Thermal Blanket.

Notes:
- Do not attempt to install the Thermal Blanket while the turbo is still hot as you may burn yourself.
- The Thermal Blanket may emit some smoke during the first few trips after installation, equivalent to a recently extinguished candle. This is normal and will subside after a several heat cycles.

Tools Required:
- 10mm wrench
- Ratchet with 10mm & 12mm sockets
- Ft/lb torque wrench
- Optional: in/lb torque wrench

Part Required:
Madness Autoworks Fiat 124 Spider Thermal Blanket

Procedure:
1. Remove the engine cover. There are three rubberized mounting points, shown below. Simply pull up on the cover, and it will snap out.

2. Remove the 10mm nut holding the O2 sensor bracket on.

3. Remove the following 12mm nuts and bolts.

4. Remove the three 10mm bolts shown below. Use a 10mm wrench for the lower bolt. Once removed, you can lift the heat shield and set it aside.

5. Remove the 10mm bolt shown below.

6. Fit the Thermal Blanket over the turbo.

7. Tuck the Thermal Blanket over the side of the heat shield bracket.

Continued in next post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (10).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	15242   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (9).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	15250   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (8).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	15258   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (7).jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	15266   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (6).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	15274  

Name:	thermalblanket (5).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	15282   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (4).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	15290   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (3).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	15298   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (2).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	15306   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (1).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	15314  

SteveWy, sharkcohen, 5961 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 04-04-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
8. Using the bolts that came with your Thermal Blanket, loosely tighten the two upper bolts. Use one of the bolts you took off in step 4 where indicated below toward the bottom right.

9. Using the third bolt provided with the Thermal Blanket or one of the bolts from step 4, loosely tighten the bolt at the side, then tighten all four bolts to approximately 25-30 in/lb (hand snug).

10. Reinstall the turbo bracket, and tighten the bracket bolts shown to 18 ft/lb.

11. Reinstall the O2 sensor bracket, and tighten the 10mm nut to approximately 25-30 in/lb (hand snug).

12. Peel off the protective cover on the SILA Concepts plate.

13. Reinstall the engine cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thermalblanket (12).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	15322   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (13).jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	15330   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalblanket (11).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	15338  

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 04-04-2017 at 11:55 PM.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 PM

Top Effort !!

Does this forum have a How To stickies ?? It should
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph124 View Post
Top Effort !!

Does this forum have a How To stickies ?? It should
Even better, it has a how-to section! That's where this thread is. It's titled DIY/Tutorial.
5961 and NYProf like this.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 AM

Nice job on the tutorial, thanks.

1st message, photo 5, below the single bolt you ID to remove, there is some sort of sensor(?) with wires coming out of it. The next photo, #6, as you are setting the blanket, we see the sensor going through a hole in the blanket. Did that sensor need to be removed, then fit the blanket, and then reinstall the sensor? Or does the blanket somehow wrap around that sensor without having to remove it?

Secondly, you really had that little smoke? In the other biggie turbo blanket thread (sorry for not linking that thread, please edit to insert it if possible) reports of smoke from this exact blanket are wide ranging, from minor smoke to grave concern from smoke nearly billowing out of the engine bay. Has the mfr. or supplier given any more in-depth information as to what is leading to the smoking? I am not starting a debate, I sincerely want to know what it is that is burning off, and why more with some of their blankets and less smoke with other samples. I will be installing one from the beginning of my ownership but I want to be a fully informed consumer of honest information.

Thanks for you effort here, much appreciated.

Steve.
NYProf likes this.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Well, I guess this helps a bit, from the product description page at Madness (partial copy only),

-Titanium Fabric Outer Shell
-Calcium Magnesium Silicate Wool Inner Core
-High Temperature Silica Fabric
-Stainless Steel Capstan Rivets
-1 year manufacturer warranty against defects

Heat tolerance specs:

Interior Surface:
Maximum Temperature Rating: 2325F/ 1270℃
Continuous Use Limit: 1835F/ 1000℃

Exterior Surface:
Direct Contact Limit: 1810F/ 989℃
Radiant Heat Limit: 2475F/ 1378℃

So it seems the majority of the product components are quite heat resistant, taking temps higher than will melt some metals (engineeringtoolbox.com for melting point of metals), so some component, or maybe a byproduct of the manufacturing process itself, is off-gassing something that the retained heat from the turbo is hot enough to burn away.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this tutorial. But if you could let us know about that wired component from the early part of the installation, that would be helpful. Is it just a slot through the blanket that fits around that sensor? Thanks.

Steve.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
Nice job on the tutorial, thanks.

1st message, photo 5, below the single bolt you ID to remove, there is some sort of sensor(?) with wires coming out of it. The next photo, #6, as you are setting the blanket, we see the sensor going through a hole in the blanket. Did that sensor need to be removed, then fit the blanket, and then reinstall the sensor? Or does the blanket somehow wrap around that sensor without having to remove it?

Secondly, you really had that little smoke? In the other biggie turbo blanket thread (sorry for not linking that thread, please edit to insert it if possible) reports of smoke from this exact blanket are wide ranging, from minor smoke to grave concern from smoke nearly billowing out of the engine bay. Has the mfr. or supplier given any more in-depth information as to what is leading to the smoking? I am not starting a debate, I sincerely want to know what it is that is burning off, and why more with some of their blankets and less smoke with other samples. I will be installing one from the beginning of my ownership but I want to be a fully informed consumer of honest information.

Thanks for you effort here, much appreciated.

Steve.
That's an oxygen sensor. You don't need to remove it, as there is a slot in the thermal blanket for it. If it had to be removed, I would have included that as part of the steps for the thermal blanket, as that requires an O2 sensor socket to remove.

Yes, I didn't have much smoke. Sure, you could smell it, but even with the engine bay open, you couldn't see more than a small stream of smoke coming out like what you'd get blowing out a candle or two. It wasn't billowing smoke or anything that anyone else would notice with the hood closed.

I'm wondering if someone maybe forgot to remove the little plastic protective cover on the SILA badge. I almost didn't realize it was there myself, since it doesn't cover the rivets of the badge, but I can't imagine it will hold up to much heat without burning.

I haven't heard anything from the manufacturer regarding the smoke. My best guess is that it's residual chemicals from the manufacturing process that are burning off.
hefbadr, sharkcohen, 5961 and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
You can see the O2 sensor slot pretty well in the picture they have on the website of the thermal blanket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FIAT124thermalBLANKETsilaTITANIUM-750x563.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	15346  
hefbadr, jleo, SteveWy and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
I'm wondering if someone maybe forgot to remove the little plastic protective cover on the SILA badge. I almost didn't realize it was there myself, since it doesn't cover the rivets of the badge, but I can't imagine it will hold up to much heat without burning.
My thought, exactly. It may be a small piece of film, but I imagine it could generate some noticeable smoke.

John

2017 Fiat 124 Spider, Aluminum Lusso AT, CravenSpeed Stubby antenna, LED interior& trunk lights, V4 intake, GFB DV+, EC EDL (Race+), Burger Tuning catch can, WeatherTech floor and cargo mats, CoverKing cover (from GWR), Advanti DST Storm S1 17 (40 mm offset), Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Ruger LCP

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, Medium Blue Metallic
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Good, thanks guys for calming my nerves. I guess I should not worry about installing this one, esp. with no viable alternatives available at this time.

Steve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page