How To Install Turbo Thermal Blanket
Turbo thermal blankets are used to wrap the exhaust side of the turbo and replace the OEM heat shield. While the heat shield does a decent job of reflecting radiant heat, a turbo thermal blanket is much more effective. Turbo thermal blankets have the benefit of reducing under-hood temperatures (which reduces heat soak and intake air temps), as well as extending the life of surrounding components. By keeping all of the heat inside the turbo, a turbo thermal blanket also keeps energy inside the turbo, which aids in making power by spooling the turbo faster and making it more efficient. This tutorial provides instructions for installing the Madness Autoworks Fiat 124 Spider Thermal Blanket
- Do not attempt to install the Thermal Blanket while the turbo is still hot as you may burn yourself.
- The Thermal Blanket may emit some smoke during the first few trips after installation, equivalent to a recently extinguished candle. This is normal and will subside after a several heat cycles.
- 10mm wrench
- Ratchet with 10mm & 12mm sockets
- Ft/lb torque wrench
- Optional: in/lb torque wrench
Madness Autoworks Fiat 124 Spider Thermal Blanket
1. Remove the engine cover. There are three rubberized mounting points, shown below. Simply pull up on the cover, and it will snap out.
2. Remove the 10mm nut holding the O2 sensor bracket on.
3. Remove the following 12mm nuts and bolts.
4. Remove the three 10mm bolts shown below. Use a 10mm wrench for the lower bolt. Once removed, you can lift the heat shield and set it aside.
5. Remove the 10mm bolt shown below.
6. Fit the Thermal Blanket over the turbo.
7. Tuck the Thermal Blanket over the side of the heat shield bracket.
Continued in next post...