Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

How To Install EUROCOMPULSION V2 Intake

19K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  124Michael 
#1 · (Edited)
How To Install EUROCOMPULSION V2 Intake​

Overview:
I had an opportunity to try out the EUROCOMPULSION V2 intake, so I decided to write a brief tutorial for the install.

The factory ribbed intake tube on our cars is a bit restrictive and does not insulate against engine bay heat very well. EUROCOMPULSION has a V2 intake that solves both of those problems, reducing intake temps by ~6 degrees F on average, and increasing power by a peak of ~9HP. The filter on this intake has a huge amount of filtration surface area, which allows it to produce more power than the V1 intake in almost all conditions. In addition, the turbo sounds make it a heck of a lot of fun, and these cars are all about fun.

Tools Required:
- Pliers
- 10mm socket & ratchet
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver or 9/32" & 3/8" hex socket bit
- A hand file
- Optional: Ft-lb torque wrench

Part Required:
EUROCOMPULSION FIAT 124 Spider V2 Intake

Procedure:
1. To begin, remove the engine cover.

2. There are 7 points we will be disconnecting in this tutorial, marked below.

3. Begin by loosening the hose clamps at the two ends of the intake tube using either the Phillips screwdriver or 9/13"/7mm hex socket bit.

4. Using the pliers to open the hose clamp, remove the 90 degree elbow going into the top of the intake tube.

5. Using the 10mm socket, remove the bolt securing the PCV tube.

6. Using the pliers to open the hose clamp, remove the rubber hose from the PCV tube.

7. Disconnect the coolant hose running across the top of the intake by wedging a flathead screwdriver underneath the toothed fastener.

8. Once you have everything disconnected, pull the intake tube off of the turbo and air filter box, and pull the PCV tube out of the intake (this may take some twisting of the intake.

9. Move over to the passenger side of the air box and, using a flathead screwdriver, pry the retaining clips away from the hose. These need to be clear on both sides of the clips, as shown in the second image.

10. Once the retainers are opened, simply slide the hoses off. Snap the air box clamps open, remove the bolt holding the air box to the front header, lift the top off the airbox, and remove the air filter.

11. The airbox bottom is now ready to be removed from the car. Lift upward gradually from the driver side, and the air box should pop out of the grommet and will be free to remove from the engine bay.

12. Slide the filter mount over the filter.

13. Fit the coupler into the larger end of the intake hose, and clamp it down. Do the same for the air filter on the other end of the coupler.

14. Fit the provided T-hose onto the intake pointing downward.

15. When installing, I noticed that there was a part of the battery tray that could cause some issues. File this corner down so it's not such a jagged edge. Alternately, you can also remove the battery surround altogether.

16. Next to that corner, there's a straight edge. I forgot to take a picture of this, but you should receive a strip of silicone hose with a slit. Slide that over the edge. Note the corner I filed smooth and round.

17. For the below image, do the following:
- fit the PCV inlet hose onto the intake
- fit the vacuum hose into the intake
- fit the intake onto the turbo straight, and clamp it down
- reinstall the vacuum hose that tees out of the PCV hose

...to be continued in the next post.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
18. Connect the two lines you disconnected from the airbox to the hose ends, and push the retainers down.

19. Position the filter so it would be right below the ram air duct outlet.

20. Reinstall the two bolts you removed and toque to about 12 ft-lb. You don't really need to put the air intake bolt back, but doing so will ensure you don't lose it if you ever want to go back to stock.

21. Reinstall the engine cover, double-check that all of the hose clamps are secure, and go out for a drive!

Attachments

#3 ·
In case anyone is wondering what the V2 sounds like, it's awesome. The video doesn't do it justice; the turbo spool and diverter valve sounds you hear reflecting off of nearby objects with the top down are pure fun.

#4 ·
Trying to decide if the missus would tolerate this. Also, I promised myself no more upgrades for a while. I've only got new ignition coils, sparkplugs, oil catch can, Auto Ricambi exhaust and now this on the to-do list.

Screw it - the kids can pay their own way through college....:D

#14 ·
Trying to decide if the missus would tolerate this. Also, I promised myself no more upgrades for a while. I've only got new ignition coils, sparkplugs, oil catch can, Auto Ricambi exhaust and now this on the to-do list.

Screw it - the kids can pay their own way through college....:D

The sounds are not for everyone and I went with the V1 since I am not a big fan of them; I'd rather hear the exhaust personally but no matter which one you choose I am sue the quality is top notch. I installed the V1, AFE filter and DV+ today (with help from Jane Z.) and even though she dropped a couple of things in the engine bay making it all take a while longer it was worth it (and luckily I can do the EC Tune myself next week).

#6 ·
Thanks to Xtreme for writing this installation guide. I think he did a great job. Personally, I remove that plastic surround that goes around the battery, but filing is a decent option as well.

I have always felt that our V2 for the 124 gets a bit overlooked because it's slotted in between the V1 and V4, and suffers from middle child syndrome. However it's really really good and everyone who has one loves it. It gives more power than the V1, and makes more exciting sounds than the V4. It's also the easiest to service when it's time to clean the filter. If you are thinking about a V1, take a look at the V2. The pricing is pretty close and you get a lot more intake for your spending dollar.

Greg

#7 ·
I was just reading about Steve's 165 mile trip in his Spider to get some pizza, and had a thought. Steve's journey is a great example of why the V2 is a great option. Most owners of the 124 drive them for fun. It's the fun to drive factor in this car that makes a 2 or 3 hour trip for lunch a viable way to enjoy an afternoon. On these sort of outings, nobody really cares if the car is making 180hp, or 183, but you do care about the feel and sound of the car. The V2 when on the throttle makes pretty exciting noises, which are fun, yet it's quiet when cruising. The V2 isn't much more expensive than the V1, but it's better in really every measurable way and has more performance.

The V2 isn't the last word in performance for this car, that's just not its intention, but I think for some people it's the right choice, especially vs the stock intake or V1.

Greg

#9 ·
If you think you have no self control now, wait till you install this thing and hear all the fun turbo sounds it lets out. Your gas mileage will drop the day you install it.

#10 · (Edited)
V2 Installed. The filter on this thing is hilariously huge :D Unfortunately it's too late so test drive will need to wait until morning.

Install was pretty straight forward thanks to XR's guide above and Eurocompulsion's own PDF instructions. Thanks guys.

For the sharp edge on the battery housing, I cut a half inch off the provided silicone hose and stuck it on to the offending edge after filling it down a bit.

Attachments

#11 ·
You're installation looks good. The filter is quite large, it's the exact same filter we use on the Alfa 4C. It's also a very good filter. I'll be the first to admit, it's flow capacity far exceeds anything anyone is likely to get from this engine, however the extra area means it doesn't need cleaning as often as a smaller filter. I like it quite a bit.

Greg

#13 ·
Not going to lie, this intake makes my 6MT Abarth so much more addictive to drive, especially on the back roads around here where the sounds bounce off of all the foliage. It's going to be a looooooooooong winter without this car. If you have a sense of humor and a grin on your face when you're behind the wheel of your 124 Spider, you owe it to yourself to get this intake.

#21 ·
Fuel efficiency increase? How significantly with V2 ??? By the way what kind of spark plugs would perform the best???
Thanks - Bob

I like the stock plugs with a gap of .024 for anything below Phase 3 power.

We don't claim a fuel efficiency increase with any of our products, they won't decrease it, but we don't put out any data suggesting it will increase.

Greg

#24 ·
I am sure I read somewhere on the forum that some people were having problems getting the vac lines off the stock intake (not the 2 on the air filter ) Today in the UK its just above freezing . I found that if you borrow your other halves hair dryer ( yes I did ask) then heat GENTLY . Warmed up,The vac lines soften up and pop off a lot easier . If your one of the lucky owners were the sun shines all year round you can probably disregard this . Not jealous we get loads of liquid sunshine.
Do not forget to give the filter a light spray of filter oil to catch the really small stuff that gets sucked in .

Pete D

#25 ·
From my install of the V2 last week, the filter element was preoiled. Now when you service the element, thousands of miles down the road, you would need to reoil it for it to operate properly.

Reactions: sharkcohen
#28 ·
You don't need a video to install it if you follow the instructions step by step its not too bad. If you just bought yours and have the K&N air filter check my build thread for some issues I ran into with it, nothing major but just so you are aware.

Heres the official instructions, they are on point for the most part other than the T hose connects to a slightly different place than the official instructions but it is the only place it can connect so you can't miss it as well as the brace that goes around the filter does not fit the K&N one correctly so you either have to shorten it a hair or just put it on anyways and pull it down loosely around the end. Also don't forget to remove the little dowel on top of the turbo inlet with a pair of pliers so the intake can fit snugly up against the turbo.

If you have any questions feel free to post or PM me, I just installed mine a week ago.

#32 ·
I love my V2.

#34 ·
That's huge. Try a fitch fuel catalyst if you want more. I love mine.

Reactions: TeddzSpider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.