Ever Wondered How The 124 Spider Abarth Gets itís Flat-Black Stripe? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By LongBeachJim
  • 2 Post By Codyroo
  • 1 Post By bcdeluxe

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ever Wondered How The 124 Spider Abarth Gets itís Flat-Black Stripe?

Aside from those gunmetal painted 17-inch aluminum wheels, the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth can also be recognized by the optional matte black stripe that spans the length of the car.

Originally added to rally cars in an effort to reduce sun glare in the drivers’ eyes, the feature pays homage to the 124 Abarth Rally, which won the ERC (European Rally Championship) in 1975 and placed in the top three positions of the World Rally Championship in 1974.

For an additional $1,995, buyers can get the Heritage Racing Stripe hand painted onto the Spider’s hood and trunk at its production facility in Hiroshima. Each one is first meticulously washed and dried before receiving an inspection via touch. Passing that, the hood and trunk lid is sanded by hand and then tape lines are applied. Each batch of paint is mixed in small quantities before it is hand sprayed onto the taped body panels.

Once cured the tape lines are removed, both pieces are polished by hand, reinstalled and then they receive a final inspection before getting shipped to its new home.

“When painting a masterpiece of this caliber, it deserves a performance to match. The result is a true work of art.”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 AM

There is a Red Abarth in Orlando with the factory stripe, with an auto tranny for those that might be interested.

Drive fast, but safe.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
Even with a video, the factory stripe remains an urban legend.
Unknownsir and Stelvio like this.

2017 124 Abarth. Previous: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport, 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring convertible, 1996 BMW 328IC convertible , 1995 Camaro V-6 coupe. Current garage mate for trips to Costco: 2009 Genesis sedan V-8.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Amen to that, at least in California. I searched far and wide and FINALLY found a Red Abarth with a Heritage Racing Stripe in Connecticut. Clearly, I have more dollars than cents, because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.
canesice and Dfnsmn34 like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Wasn't this posted a while ago and everyone said there's no way they do any of this by hand at all?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyroo View Post
Clearly, I have more dollars than cents, because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.
Been there...done that..except over the ocean...with 4 different vehicles...

aloha

Aloha! !! !!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyroo View Post
... because I bought it and had it trucked out to California.
I had my Abarth trucked from Texas to Michigan.
Codyroo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page