PreDelivery Prep - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 28Likes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question PreDelivery Prep

I suspect my Fiat was not prepared properly before I received it. Tires are inflated to 50psi. What else was not done is my worry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Vendor

There really isn't too much the dealer can screw up. The two items they seem to skip are setting up the TPMS and the chassis plugs. Other than those two things check your fluids and you should be good to go. I'll try and get the dealer manual and look for other things they could be skipping, but I think that's it.

Greg

eurocompulsion.net
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Garage
i actually managed to get someone to show me the prep list from FCA for the 124. It does not have any reference to installing the plugs, there is a small note to install all "shipped loose items". But nothings tells you what to do with them, weird because they tell you to install the center caps. It does tell the tech to adjust the tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewalls. As it is not likely to go back into the shop before the sale, i guess it falls to the detail shop to adjust the tire pressures down to a normal level. It does specifically talk about initializing the tire pressure system and initializing the power window system.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM

If the dealer is told to set tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewalls of the tires then that's likely why my car and others have hit the road at 52 pounds. That's what's on the sidewalls of the Classica's Yokohamas. (The Mazda label on the door frame says normal tire pressure is 29 pounds.) But my pressure alarm was not initialized. The windows were.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 PM

Tires are over-inflated for shipping at the factory. Dealers often don't adjust them down before delivery ... not acceptable but happens all the time. They also often don't install the underbody plugs to cover the shipping tie-down holes. I've found those in the glove box or trunk of cars I've purchased. They've even left strut shims in place. If you can find the pre-delivery checklist on the web, double-check each item yourself.
racergary and MotoPete like this.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Garage
They forgot to take the white wrapping off the backs of my car's rollbars and the front of the fusebox. It did make me wonder what else they may have forgotten, but I've been treated so well by my dealership otherwise (through two FIAT purchases) that I didn't complain.

Drive Safely!
Michelle
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Garage
On my way home with my new Abarth, the suspension was so harsh that it was making me have second thoughts about my purchase. Of course, the tires were set at 49 psi. At 29 psi, it is now a much much nicer car! What the dealer did not forget, apparently, was to coat my sidewalls with an oily mess. Why do dealers do that??
jonesthestress and MotoPete like this.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Garage
Just checked mine and sure enough 39psi! Same here I was starting to notice a harsh ride over certain surfaces. Such a simple thing for the dealers to do, feel a bit disappointed. I also found a piece of 'packing' tape over the fuse box under the bonnet (hood) when doing the first inspection at home.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoVeloce View Post
On my way home with my new Abarth, the suspension was so harsh that it was making me have second thoughts about my purchase. Of course, the tires were set at 49 psi. At 29 psi, it is now a much much nicer car!
I'm ordering a 124 Abarth but haven't driven one yet. Would you give more detailed impression of the ride quality (harshness, vibrations, rattles, road noise, etc.) now that the tires are set properly? Also, if you've driven a non-Abarth 124, how did the two models compare in ride quality?

I'm hoping the Abarth won't be excessively harsh riding, or overly loud at the exhaust. Looking for "just right" on both points.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Perhaps the forum community could put together a pre-delivery checklist of our own based off those that have already received their 124s. I used similar checklists from the forums for my last two vehicles and found them helpful. I think it also gives a prospective buyer some insight into the dealer's attention to detail.
racergary and LongBeachJim like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page