A124 & F124 front Bumper Swap ?? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
A124 & F124 front Bumper Swap ??

One thing that I am not enamoured with the Abarth 124 is its appearance, but in particular its front. IMHO the Fiat 124 is a far better looker. It has a certain lithe elegance whereas I find the A124 a bit too wannabe try hard “sport. I stress that is only my option, however a car’s appearance has a huge influence if I buy a car or not.

My ideal 124 Spider would be a Fiat 124 body with the Abarth mechanicals (Oh – in dark blue with a red hood / interior, thank you very much– but that will never happen)

However, the F124 is not available at all here in Australia. So the obvious thing is to replace the A124 bumper/grille with that from a F124. Looking at photos this seems possible …….. Yes ???

One thing that seems could be an issue is that it appears to be a little raised “bump” that supports the Fiat badge whereas the Abarth badge seems to be flat on the bumper. Am I imaging things ??

If I can get this bumper swap a happening it would bring me closer to buying a A124
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Would paint on the Abarth front end do the trick?

RBH58
Current rides: 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition & 2017 MX5 RF 2.0 GT Black Roof
Former rides: MY14 Subaru BRZ, MY11 Renaultsport Megane Cup, MY13 Alfa MiTo QV, MY08 Mazda MX5, MY08 Volvo C30 T5 R-Design, MY05 Alfa 147GTA, MY01 Audi TT 225 quattro, MY98 Honda Prelude SH ATTS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH58 View Post
Would paint on the Abarth front end do the trick?
Hummmmm I am not so sure

Found some pics that illustrates my concern - not looking good

Fiat

Abarth
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Seems I am out of luck

looking at some more pics in detail and it would seem that badge bump is on the Fiat bumper and that would not accommodate the Abarth badge

may need to consider painting

Anyone out there who could assist with a Photoshop of the Blue Abarth 124 ?? Much appreciated
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Garage
i don't have a F124 hand to compare. but is not the A124 emblem much larger than the F124 emblem. i thought someone else had posted once that this is the case so that the A124 emblem covers the body lines around where the F124 sits? keep in mind that bumper cover is one part but there are probably several other parts like grill and marker lights and others that also needs changed.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I had a try at the painting option ,....... could not get the shade quite right but it does look quite OK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-page1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	11554  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsir View Post
i don't have a F124 hand to compare. but is not the A124 emblem much larger than the F124 emblem. i thought someone else had posted once that this is the case so that the A124 emblem covers the body lines around where the F124 sits? keep in mind that bumper cover is one part but there are probably several other parts like grill and marker lights and others that also needs changed.
I don't believe the Abarth emblem is large enough to cover the entire curvature. To make the A124 look like an F123 in the front, I think you would have to replace the whole front fascia, grill and bumper. But it's just money.
Not Sure likes this.

John

2017 Fiat 124 Spider, Aluminum Lusso AT, CravenSpeed Stubby antenna, LED interior& trunk lights, V4 intake, GFB DV+, EC EDL (Race+), Burger Tuning catch can, WeatherTech floor and cargo mats, CoverKing cover (from GWR), Advanti DST Storm S1 17 (40 mm offset), Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Ruger LCP

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, Medium Blue Metallic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
I think it would be possible. You would probably have to order a Lusso bumper because the Classica does not have bezzels for the fog lights. From what I've seen on the forum it looks like the ABARTH badge is so big so that it fits over the dip for the FIAT badge. That way the Badge conceals the lines instead of needing to re-tool a mold for that little detail. I assume pull of the FIAT badge and fix the ABARTH over it.

If I ever see a Lusso in the wild I'll try to take a close look at it and compare to the ABARTH.

-2naCan

follow me on twitter: @2nacandan
or: @TheBassMaestro
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naCanDan View Post
I think it would be possible. You would probably have to order a Lusso bumper because the Classica does not have bezzels for the fog lights. From what I've seen on the forum it looks like the ABARTH badge is so big so that it fits over the dip for the FIAT badge. That way the Badge conceals the lines instead of needing to re-tool a mold for that little detail. I assume pull of the FIAT badge and fix the ABARTH over it.

If I ever see a Lusso in the wild I'll try to take a close look at it and compare to the ABARTH.
I just measured my Lusso and the curve in the bumper above the Fiat emblem begins 2 1/2 inches below the opening of the hood. From the lip of the grill, it is 2 inches to the beginning of the indentation just below the emblem. The entire length of the area the the Abarth emblem would have to cover is 6 inches.

John

2017 Fiat 124 Spider, Aluminum Lusso AT, CravenSpeed Stubby antenna, LED interior& trunk lights, V4 intake, GFB DV+, EC EDL (Race+), Burger Tuning catch can, WeatherTech floor and cargo mats, CoverKing cover (from GWR), Advanti DST Storm S1 17 (40 mm offset), Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Ruger LCP

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, Medium Blue Metallic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph124 View Post
I had a try at the painting option ,....... could not get the shade quite right but it does look quite OK
I agree with Joe. Having the non-grille components painted in the body color would look great and be much cheaper and easier than switching out the fascia. Somewhere else in the forums is a photoshopped image of the same for a red Abarth 124.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page