Port and polish - Page 2 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 23Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Alright looks like we will have a core program soon for the rest of you!
Greg, Seth, sharkcohen and 1 others like this.

Bryan
NGEN Customs & Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEN View Post
Alright looks like we will have a core program soon for the rest of you!
Seth and jetlag like this.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@NGEN I know you guys do ceramic coating on the manifold , would heat wrapping the manifold in addition to this be harmful?

and can't wait for the core program!

'17 124 Spider Abarth 6MT|GFB DV+|EC catch can|Madness Maxflow intake|SILA turbo blanket|SILA lightweight pulley|Madness Maxfire ignition coils|GWR System One exhaust w/ 2.5in crosspipe|Wilwood 12.19 cross drilled front BBK|GWR/Wilwood rear brake kit|GWR full underbody bracing|GWR rear tower brace| Cusco front tower brace|Progress f/r sway bars|Supermiata ACE sem-auto dampening coilovers|HRE C70 17x8.5
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@klikai Yeah...it is really expensive and may not be worth the gain. I don't think anyone's been talking about limitations on the 1.4s head either, plus I haven't seen anyone with a reworked head on this motor. Someone with deep pockets may just need to find out for us lol.
I know the intake manifold is plastic, but I wonder if that could be ported as well. Getting into the engine(cams, heads, pistons, etc) may not make sense from a cost standpoint.

'17 124 Spider Abarth 6MT|GFB DV+|EC catch can|Madness Maxflow intake|SILA turbo blanket|SILA lightweight pulley|Madness Maxfire ignition coils|GWR System One exhaust w/ 2.5in crosspipe|Wilwood 12.19 cross drilled front BBK|GWR/Wilwood rear brake kit|GWR full underbody bracing|GWR rear tower brace| Cusco front tower brace|Progress f/r sway bars|Supermiata ACE sem-auto dampening coilovers|HRE C70 17x8.5
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
@NGEN I know you guys do ceramic coating on the manifold , would heat wrapping the manifold in addition to this be harmful?

and can't wait for the core program!
I think it would be overkill. The ceramic coating is enough in my opinion.
Seth likes this.

Bryan
NGEN Customs & Performance
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
@klikai Yeah...it is really expensive and may not be worth the gain. I don't think anyone's been talking about limitations on the 1.4s head either, plus I haven't seen anyone with a reworked head on this motor. Someone with deep pockets may just need to find out for us lol.
I know the intake manifold is plastic, but I wonder if that could be ported as well. Getting into the engine(cams, heads, pistons, etc) may not make sense from a cost standpoint.
The exhaust manifold I can justify

Not the heads

It is better for most people to spend time and figure out

a way to fit a larger turbo than 1752 under our car instead of getting a ported head..

a 1752 is already rubbing the hood liner, so it'll need some mounting adjustments

The head is capable enough with a bigger turbo

that sad moment when a abarth 500 can fit a larger turbo than 124

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r

Last edited by klikai; 02-19-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Quote:
The exhaust manifold I can justify

Not the heads

It is better for most people to spend time and figure out

a way to fit a larger turbo than 1752 under our car instead of getting a ported head..

a 1752 is already rubbing the hood liner, so it'll need some mounting adjustments

The head is capable enough with a bigger turbo

that sad moment when a abarth 500 can fit a larger turbo than 124
Improving volumetric efficiency in the head will reduce restriction and increase horsepower (by way of improved air density).
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverosx View Post
Improving volumetric efficiency in the head will reduce restriction and increase horsepower (by way of improved air density).
Ye... that is on an NA engine tho

on a small size turbo engine there will be positive effect but worth $3,000 plus

I guarantee the price and hp percentage increase will not match up

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Lately I've been seeing NGENs ported and polished exhaust manifold and now I'm wanting to install that along with the EC turbo when I make the upgrade, it should be something that helps with spool. The description from NGEN states it's ported to match the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the turbo manifold gasket. I guess one of my questions with this is wouldn't flow be better if it was port matched to the head?
And an another note, I also found a company offering a port/polished, oversized valve head for the 1.4 multiair. Are upgrades to the head worth it when using forced induction?(is it going to be a noticeable power gain). I hear some people tell me it's definitely worth it and others say it makes such a small difference on turbocharged cars.

Sources:

https://ngencustomsandperformance.co...cations&page=3

http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dca...Head_p_14.html
Quote:

on a small size turbo engine there will be positive effect but worth $3,000 plus

I've been reading up on what MTD has been doing with their engines, they have various cam options, ported heads, forged pistons...basically they've really been messing with all aspects of the engine. Like you said, the price may not be worth it but above 300hp is where they've found a restriction in the head and the head does better in conjunction with a cam. These guys do offer mild cams that work well with stock heads but the 300hp and up motors they have with the ported heads also run the more aggressive cams, forged pistons, stiffer valve springs and etc.

https://www.facebook.com/MultiairTun...AS6i&__tn__=-R

https://multiair-tuning.com/mechanic...product_id=139

I know you were hoping a bigger turbo could be bolted on the 124..not sure if you're interested but these guys seem to have their own turbo upgrade good for 300hp
But I'd imagine running one of the uncommon turbo upgrades would yield better results on a dyno with a custom tune.

https://multiair-tuning.com/mechanic...rid-turbo.html

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Lately I've been seeing NGENs ported and polished exhaust manifold and now I'm wanting to install that along with the EC turbo when I make the upgrade, it should be something that helps with spool. The description from NGEN states it's ported to match the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the turbo manifold gasket. I guess one of my questions with this is wouldn't flow be better if it was port matched to the head?
And an another note, I also found a company offering a port/polished, oversized valve head for the 1.4 multiair. Are upgrades to the head worth it when using forced induction?(is it going to be a noticeable power gain). I hear some people tell me it's definitely worth it and others say it makes such a small difference on turbocharged cars.

Sources:

https://ngencustomsandperformance.co...cations&page=3

http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dca...Head_p_14.html
Quote:

I've been reading up on what MTD has been doing with their engines, they have various cam options, ported heads, forged pistons...basically they've really been messing with all aspects of the engine. Like you said, the price may not be worth it but above 300hp is where they've found a restriction in the head and the head does better in conjunction with a cam. These guys do offer mild cams that work well with stock heads but the 300hp and up motors they have with the ported heads also run the more aggressive cams, forged pistons, stiffer valve springs and etc.

https://www.facebook.com/MultiairTun...AS6i&__tn__=-R

https://multiair-tuning.com/mechanic...product_id=139

I know you were hoping a bigger turbo could be bolted on the 124..not sure if you're interested but these guys seem to have their own turbo upgrade good for 300hp
But I'd imagine running one of the uncommon turbo upgrades would yield better results on a dyno with a custom tune.

https://multiair-tuning.com/mechanic...rid-turbo.html
I have contacted them many times, the biggest package they could offer for me was good for about 250-270WHP for reliable non overheating. But far from a reliable 300WHP car that does laps without overheating. And stock internals will not hold up very well. Also when you go in to 300WHP RANGE the transmission needs extra cooling, rear differential needs extra cooling, so as the oil. Which none of them is available yet.

I am still on a budget.

And then you have to look in to over all temperature. With a tune and intercooler right now my water temp runs up to 185, which is not a big deal. but it would be entrriely different when your numbers and torque gets up there, especially they want to spin the engine around 8k. Also it wouldn’t fit our car, you have to somehow get a different mounting position for the turbo, to make it fit larger than a 1752 first

I’m trying to get a high 13 trap speed with bolt ons, that’s it. I am saving up for the LFX swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page