Hard Dog Roll Bar - Page 3 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin32 View Post
I might be that guy in so cal that’s working with APR on the front splitter . I just haven’t had the time to make to them with the abarth. We’re going to be testing the Miata wing brackets on the 124 to see if they work vs going with the universal mounts. Also going to build out the front splitter with them and a Voltex hammer head front splitter. Both shound be standable on as we will chassis mount . I am meeting with the designer and developer for the 200 & 300 Wing so I’ll go over with him the concerns mentioned and get an update 👍
Ye I replied to your posts a few times on INS

It is hard for our abarth owners for the front splitter because of the underbody shape.

regardless I do want one that looks like this instead of the hardcore style one

http://shop.threehundred.jp/?pid=115718030

but more functional

Also want some Side canards to go with it.

Last edited by klikai; 05-28-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin32 View Post
I might be that guy in so cal that’s working with APR on the front splitter . I just haven’t had the time to make to them with the abarth. We’re going to be testing the Miata wing brackets on the 124 to see if they work vs going with the universal mounts. Also going to build out the front splitter with them and a Voltex hammer head front splitter. Both shound be standable on as we will chassis mount . I am meeting with the designer and developer for the 200 & 300 Wing so I’ll go over with him the concerns mentioned and get an update 👍
Ye I replied to your posts a few times in INS

It is hard for our abarth owners for the front splitter because of the underbody shape.

but more functional

Ya for appearance that really is a nice kit . Wish it was local .

I’m also running KW clubsports with 570 front and 400 rear spring rates and understeer does not exist . I was actually oversteering until I dialed back stiffness and now the car feels perfect transitioning back and forth .

I Deffinitely wouldn’t touch a wing and track it without offsetting the front with a proper splitter.
Juan also has a custom splitter he’s testing out from his other project.

Super excited to see and hear more folks who are tracking or planning on tracking this car .
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

but more functional

I like that splitter too but at the same time that splitter is the reason I want to make my own. I started realizing that all the aftermarket stuff thats going to drop is going to be Abarth oriented as as far as anything that attaches to the front, it wont work for me.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_servomedia View Post
Quote:

but more functional

I like that splitter too but at the same time that splitter is the reason I want to make my own. I started realizing that all the aftermarket stuff thats going to drop is going to be Abarth oriented as as far as anything that attaches to the front, it wont work for me.

got you covered here . I also have a classica I can have them do a front mold on they can easily replicate .
Juan_servomedia likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Vendor

Quote:

I am debating where to put the vents tho,
Vent location often has a lot to do with appearance and physical space available due to cross members in the hood construction. However, if we are strictly concerned withthe the effectiveness at venting hot air, the best spot is at the point on top of the hood where there is the lowest pressure. It's the pressure differential that causes hot air to be evacuated out of hood vents, so the lowest pressure spot is what you want.

I haven't measured it on the 124, but on every car I have measured it on, it's about 1/2 way between the front of the car and the windshield. Pressure is very high at the front of the car, and at the base of the windshield, so you want it about 1/2 way. All that said, if you are concerned about venting in the staging lanes at the dragstrip, then throw all that pressure stuff out the window and locate the vents above the hottest things in the engine bay, which in this case is above the turbo.

Greg

eurocompulsion.net
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Vent location often has a lot to do with appearance and physical space available due to cross members in the hood construction. However, if we are strictly concerned withthe the effectiveness at venting hot air, the best spot is at the point on top of the hood where there is the lowest pressure. It's the pressure differential that causes hot air to be evacuated out of hood vents, so the lowest pressure spot is what you want.

I haven't measured it on the 124, but on every car I have measured it on, it's about 1/2 way between the front of the car and the windshield. Pressure is very high at the front of the car, and at the base of the windshield, so you want it about 1/2 way. All that said, if you are concerned about venting in the staging lanes at the dragstrip, then throw all that pressure stuff out the window and locate the vents above the hottest things in the engine bay, which in this case is above the turbo.

Greg
So basically half way on the bonnet for the lowest pressure area for track use?? Got it thanks!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Greg

What are you using to measure pressure? I know there is a gentleman who makes USB barometers that he has used to measure pressure on a vehicle in different areas.

So essentially the vents are using the low air pressure to pretty much suck the air coming through the nose out of the top? I haven't gotten around to taking the cover off from underneath the hood so I don't know what she looks like structurally. But I am guessing two smaller vents, rather then long ones, positioned towards the front of those two rounded shapes on the hood would be most efficient. I think that puts them right over the large area over where the intake and battery are? That would create a ton of sucking force right above the radiator and intercooler wouldn't it?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_servomedia View Post
What are you using to measure pressure? I know there is a gentleman who makes USB barometers that he has used to measure pressure on a vehicle in different areas.

So essentially the vents are using the low air pressure to pretty much suck the air coming through the nose out of the top? I haven't gotten around to taking the cover off from underneath the hood so I don't know what she looks like structurally. But I am guessing two smaller vents, rather then long ones, positioned towards the front of those two rounded shapes on the hood would be most efficient. I think that puts them right over the large area over where the intake and battery are? That would create a ton of sucking force right above the radiator and intercooler wouldn't it?
We use an electronic digital manometer for this purpose. However you can use a simple home made water level type manometer. Just tape a hose end to the location where you want to measure pressure, and drive the car. The more the water moves, the higher the pressure.

In regards to vent location, the high pressure air under the hood will escape through the vents. The lower the pressure on top the hood the greater the differential, and the faster air will escape. Of course if the vents are located where the pressure is higher than it is under the hood, then air will go into the engine bay through the vents, and not out! That's why some vents draw air in, and some draw air out.

When I get my new 124 I'll take some measurements with the digital unit and let you guys know what I find. Here is a picture of a home made type. As you can see this is cheap and simple, so there is no reason not to take measurements.

Greg
Juan_servomedia likes this.

eurocompulsion.net
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
We use an electronic digital manometer for this purpose. However you can use a simple home made water level type manometer. Just tape a hose end to the location where you want to measure pressure, and drive the car. The more the water moves, the higher the pressure.

Greg

Might give this a whirl. Seems simple enough to try at home going up and down the driveway. Thank you for all the input on this subject, your expertise is always valued. I look forward to the delivery of your new 124 and what you knock out this summer. I figured I can focus on the aerodynamics of the vehicle until some new power mods hit the market I can't leave anything alone.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@klikai

Did a little research and spoke with a friend and I ordered a sheet of 10mm Alumalite to make the front splitter. Also wondering about using a thinner version of the same material to make a sort of under tray and rear diffuser.

Today I removed the front bumper and looked around at the area I had to work with. By removing the lower bumper support I have some more room and can make two brackets that would bolt to the two tubes that jut out of the chassis. I figured the only things that bolted to the lower support were the factory liner and the lower part of the bumper, which will now be supported by the splitter, so it should be missed.
I'll probably make some brackets out of 1/8" steel, as well as supports for the corners to a spot I found just behind the fender liner. As for the adjustable support rods, there is a section of chassis just behind the upper lower grill that can be bolted to. I'll probably remove the lower grill but re attach the wind diverters for the intercooler or make new ones that bolt to splitter itself.

Hoping to have the aluminum plate one bolted up tomorrow and then just using it as a template to drill out the Alumalite sheet when it arrives. A 4x8 sheet is $230 delivered here. The front of the car is roughly 64" so I should have some left over to use for whatever else I come up with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page