need tips and advice for rear sway bar upgrade - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
need tips and advice for rear sway bar upgrade

I've got the Goodwin Roadster Sport front and rear bars in hand. I'm hiring out the front bar, the rear I'll do myself.

I've never done this, but others say it is relatively easy, esp. compared to the front. But I need your experience and words of wisdom to install the rear bar.

What else will I need to remove to get in there for the R&R sway bar procedure? Wheels, exhaust? Something else? My car is all stock. A quick youtube check didn't net any videos. Anything you can offer will be helpful, thank you!

Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 AM

I did my rear bar in 20 minutes. Wheels on, exhaust in place. It's a piece of cake. Unbolt the links from the old bar and leave them on the car. unbolt the mounting brackets and she's out. When unbolting the links use an allen key in the stud to prevent it from turning when removing the nut. Be sure to use some lube when placing the bushings on the new bar. Silicone paste works well. This will ensure squeak free operation.

The front bar, as we all know is a different story. Be aware that the arms on the Goodwin front bar are longer than most (they have three adjustment holes). This may require the subframe to be lowered slightly to fit it to the car. And while others were lucky not removing the steering rack, doing so makes life a lot easier. Cheers.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hef, thank you very much!

Steve.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM

The hardest part of the rear sway bar installation is just getting it centered up properly. It's really a piece of cake.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Centered up, can you elaborate on that? I'd think it is pretty much self correcting by the bolt holes and the brackets.

Steve.

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 PM

I installed a Karcepts rear sway bar which is a 3 piece bar so it was really important to get the bar centered. A traditional sway bar may be different if the bushings don't move on the sway bar. If that's the case then it makes it even easier to do. Just mount and go. Have you gotten under your car yet and taken a look at how it's currently mounted? I think you'll see how easy it is.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes, my sway bars are one piece bars (with separate bushings/brackets). I'll be heading under the car maybe by this weekend. I want to get it done shortly before I have the front professionally installed. I found an indy mechanic through the local SCCA group, he came recommended by them. Not only is he a wrencher, he's raced, too, and served as team mechanic.

Steve.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM

Garage
@stevet . The only thing I can add is be careful of the OEM end links. During extremely spirited driving (Palomar Mountain drive) the left rear end link on my car popped (separated). I have progress technologies swaybars from GWR installed. I have since replaced them with adjustable end links. No issues since (Fiat on the Snake). I’m not saying this will happen to your car, but to listen for clunking and thunking coming from the rear that shouldn’t be there.

Dan
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depotdan View Post
@stevet . The only thing I can add is be careful of the OEM end links. During extremely spirited driving (Palomar Mountain drive) the left rear end link on my car popped (separated). I have progress technologies swaybars from GWR installed. I have since replaced them with adjustable end links. No issues since (Fiat on the Snake). I’m not saying this will happen to your car, but to listen for clunking and thunking coming from the rear that shouldn’t be there.

Dan
Dan, I think your issue was the fact that your car is lowered and the stock end links are fixed for standard ride height. Thus it was putting a lot of stress on the end link. Karcept sway bars come with adjustable end links and they have a very precise formula for adjusting them based on ride height so that tells me it's better to have adjustable end links if your car is lowered.
depotdan likes this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:31 AM

I hope my mildy lowered car will be ok.

Will install both Eibach sway bars and springs.

Weird note, maybe typo.

It says in the Eibach site that it will lower 0.8 Front yet 1.0 rear.

For the Miata ND it is 0.8 on both and the other sites also claim 0.8 on both for the spider...?

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page