The Grand Tour, end of an era - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The Grand Tour, end of an era

SPOILER if you haven't watched on 4-12-19.
It is the end of an era. No more tent, no more audience. No more Eboladrome or Abby. No more supercars. With tears all around, esp. from the Big Ape, they announced the format of the show has ended its run, after 17 years (BBC and Amazon combined). But fear not, because they will continue on only in special episode Grand Tour form (Mongolia, South America, the Arctic), with Amazon.

Stay calm, and carry on.

Steve.
XtremeRevolution likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 PM

I hated the stupid Mongolia episode. Most of the Specials suck as they are preposterous and forced.

I’ll miss the Isnt Staight and Abby was starting to appear in other segments... too bad.

Last edited by Snow124; 04-13-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM

The whole Tog Gear faded out few years ago... driving expensive cars that 99% people cannot buy .. it became annoying. I remember waiting for each episode release and was was super excited. Now days people are struggling with ridiculous housing costs and student loans
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 PM

I love these guys. I am a huge fan. The Grand Tour is good but it isn't Top Gear. It hasn't found it's way. I'm disappointed in the direction it's going but at least it isn't going away entirely.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
Hmmmm I don’t recall ever watching one episode. Not sure I’ve missed anything?

Aloha mike

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:47 PM

What’s wrong with you @Mike34 ?!

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:44 AM

If nothing else everyone should try to watch the first 5 minutes of The Grand Tour Season 1, Episode 1.
It opens in rainy London with Jeremy leaving the BBC building on goes on from there. The visuals, the music, the cinematography,..So well done!!!.

The rest was alright, but as others mentioned, it was never as good as top gear and seemed to struggle trying to figure out what it wanted to be.
Glad they aren't going away completely.

Now go watch the first five minutes of season 1 episode 1.

17 Abarth, manual, luxury group, Rosso Red. Progress Springs, EC V4 intake and Intercooler, DV+ diverter valve, TR Motorsports FF10 wheels, Pirelli Pzero+ 215/45/17, GWR full Abarth Exhaust, Wilwood BBK, Redline Goods shifter and E-brake boot
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
What’s wrong with you @Mike34 ?!

Idk @MiniDreamCar But people have been asking me that for years. So evidently there is something wrong.

Aloha mike

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
A few years ago, over the winter months while they were still at the BBC, I discovered them and systematically watched the entire 14 seasons over about 5 months. Season 1 was only Jeremy and the 12 year old looking Richard. No audience, if I recall. Pretty serious. Then James showed up, pretty serious himself, but then as they grew together, the "guys goofing in the garage" attitudes naturally formed between them (probably the same between you and a couple of your buddies in the right setting) and it was pretty fun to watch. They hated the caravan (campers, RV's, etc), and one of the funniest episodes I'd seen was the one (of several) dedicated to their hatred of them. I believe they were tow-behinds. (AHH, look at what they... what are they... look at what they are doing!) Then the episode with the RV track race turned demo derby, loved it. Showmanship, they developed it in themselves and gave it to us, and it worked. For me, it wasn't the car they were testing, it was their reaction to the car they were testing that made it enjoyable. They could have been doing this with lawn tractors or kids pedal toys and I would have watched. Learning about the car was secondary to watching them respond to it, and each other.

Overall, it was a lot of light-hearted fun, some likely scripted for the plot line, but the resulting interaction was genuine, spontaneous, and unexpected. And fun/funny. And The Stig- it wasn't his driving, it was the interaction between him and the threesome that was fun.

It was sort of like pro wrestling in its heyday. The outcome was predetermined, but the 5 or 10 minutes it took to get there was all on the shoulders of the performers to get the audience to react and respond.

I am a fan more of the "variety show" version of TG/GT than the epic adventure episodes. I will miss it.

Steve.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike34 View Post
Hmmmm I don’t recall ever watching one episode. Not sure I’ve missed anything?

Aloha mike
Season 1, Episode 10 "Italian Lessons" is where I first saw the 124 Abarth. A week later I'd ordered one. Even with "The American" driving it and complaining about it while bringing it in with their slowest time to date, I fell in love with the car right then and there.

(Although they DID use a white one, so, Mike, maybe not...)

I have seen every episode of Top Gear and am a little sad because the last few episodes of Grand Tour were pretty bang-on. It'll probably be another year before we see them come back with a fourth season, but I"ll be watching.

Last edited by linefeed; 04-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page