Chainringtattoo's Build Thread - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 386Likes

post #1 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Chainringtattoo's Build Thread

I figured since things are slow around here I'll start a build thread. I've actually been modding the car since August so I'll catch this thread up in short order.

I've done several things already. There are more things to do in the coming weeks. I've made some mistakes which I've mostly been able to overcome. Maybe this thread will help someone avoid some of the mistakes I made along the way. In spite of the things that have gone wrong I'm happy with the car and the direction I'm going.

We'll start with April 12, 2018. That's the day I flew into Houston, TX to pick up the car from Northside Imports and drove it 1400 miles back to Grand Junction, CO. I had my first bit of bad luck on the drive through West Texas as I hit a sand storm that lasted about two hours at least. Visibility was so bad at one point I had to stop and wait it out. Fortunately, the paint didn't suffer too badly.

Here it is at the dealer.

And here it is two days later all cleaned up from the sand storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QDcGeqGSS2uEZIEo%byBcw_thumb_488.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	66188   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAO3HQJbS+6alnbl%STqJw_thumb_c96.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	66190  

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
July 20, 2018 - 3,933 Miles

Thanks to my good friend @depotdan , I got a sweet deal on a GFB GV+, my very first mod. I highly recommend this as a cheap and easy first mod. It's not a power mod but does make the car run smoother. This is about 20 minutes to install. Put a towel or something underneath just in case you get clumsy and drop a screw. This can be installed without removing the coolant tank but I take off the two bolts holding the coolant tank and shift it to the side just so I can get better purchase on the hex screws holding the diverter valve on.

I've since moved on to a different blow off valve so if someone wants the same sweet deal I got on this GFB send me a PM so we can let this live on in someone else's car.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ltznp9XhTMyBO7NUDi4sGQ_thumb_5023.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	66194  

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread

Last edited by Chainringtattoo; 12-26-2018 at 01:02 AM.
post #3 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
June 16, 2018 - Grand Junction Motor Speedway

So my bad, I got out of chronological order right off the bat and missed my first track day in the Spider. After all, this is what the build is all about. If you don't know where Grand Junction is, well it's a long way from everywhere. We don't have a real road course here so we make do on a .9 mile kart track. It's a lot of fun and it's a fairly safe place to drive. It's not as good as a real road course but much better than an autocross course in my opinion. And you get multiple laps in a session instead of one 40-60 second run. You're going to work your tires and brakes on this course.

My best time this day was a 70.71. To give some perspective, on this day a course record by car was set at 59.502. That's an insanely fast time. The guy who set it is a great driver and set it in a 300 HP Mazda Miata NA with full aero package. My car was bone stock this day. Not even the GFB was on it.

You can see how many tight turns the GJMS has.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3Z4W3vaOTnWixQS7jJcucw_thumb_3e7.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	66198   Click image for larger version

Name:	afL5ncEYQWCSr%NNP6QbZQ_thumb_c93.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	66200  

post #4 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Fun looking track!

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #5 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
June 22, 2018 - Infotainment tweaks

This was actually my "first"mod to the car and the one that still has the biggest bang for the buck. A big shout out to @ameridan for his fantastic blog. Dan has spent a ton of time adding content on our 124s and I refer to his blog constantly. If you haven't done the infotainment tweaks yet I highly recommend it.
Mike34 and jetlag like this.

post #6 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
So my bad, I got out of chronological order right off the bat and missed my first track day in the Spider. After all, this is what the build is all about. If you don't know where Grand Junction is, well it's a long way from everywhere. We don't have a real road course here so we make do on a .9 mile kart track. It's a lot of fun and it's a fairly safe place to drive. It's not as good as a real road course but much better than an autocross course in my opinion. And you get multiple laps in a session instead of one 40-60 second run. You're going to work your tires and brakes on this course.

My best time this day was a 70.71. To give some perspective, on this day a course record by car was set at 59.502. That's an insanely fast time. The guy who set it is a great driver and set it in a 300 HP Mazda Miata NA with full aero package. My car was bone stock this day. Not even the GFB was on it.

You can see how many tight turns the GJMS has.

This looks like a really fun track !!!
For a stock car to be that close from the track record speaks volumes of its
Capabilities and your driving , well done !!! Hopefully I can join you one day next year . You’re not too far 🤔 haha .
Oh and from my experience you’ll go faster with the top up , just slightly less fun
post #7 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin32 View Post
This looks like a really fun track !!!
For a stock car to be that close from the track record speaks volumes of its
Capabilities and your driving , well done !!! Hopefully I can join you one day next year . You’re not too far 🤔 haha .
Oh and from my experience you’ll go faster with the top up , just slightly less fun
Well you didn't see how poorly I drove the car that day. I was very clearly driving it at 12/10ths and sliding all over the place. I've since cut that time down a lot and I'll be getting to that in future posts. And yeah, I had the top up.

This track is an equalizing track because it takes horsepower out of the equation. That 300 HP Miata that took the record did so from a 700 HP Mustang. You need power, but proper tires and suspension go further than power. And all those turns make it about the driver. I still have much to learn and much to improve upon. And c'mon out. It's only a 12 hour drive.
Spoolin32 likes this.

post #8 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
Well you didn't see how poorly I drove the car that day. I was very clearly driving it at 12/10ths and sliding all over the place. I've since cut that time down a lot and I'll be getting to that in future posts. And yeah, I had the top up.

This track is an equalizing track because it takes horsepower out of the equation. That 300 HP Miata that took the record did so from a 700 HP Mustang. You need power, but proper tires and suspension go further than power. And all those turns make it about the driver. I still have much to learn and much to improve upon. And c'mon out. It's only a 12 hour drive.

Haha send the video over I’ll be happy to review and provide my dose of constructive feedback . On a smaller tighter track The 124 eats up everything . My first day out on phase 1 the only car that beat me was a decked out viper on streets of willow because of the longer straights . Crazy that corner speeds were matched on semi slick tires . As you get more confident and dial suspension and alignment in the speed you can push these cars through corners is just amazing . I still haven’t learned the cars full limit in certain sections and it’s mind blowing that it can go faster
Mike34 likes this.
post #9 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
July 27, 2018 - 4,095 miles

Took the car to the Western Colorado Dragway. My best run was a 15.349 @ 87.38 MPH. All part of the testing process. I think that time is a bit generous because a storm was blowing in and I got a bit of a tail wind. The correction factor is also generous because of the altitude and desert heat.

@Spoolin32 stay tuned. Track videos coming.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 5.35.42 PM.png
Views:	1028
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	66222   Click image for larger version

Name:	ggmYbzqoQD2vtdhV8qCNSQ_thumb_5027.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	66224  
Butterpants likes this.

post #10 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
August 25, 2018 - 4,843 miles

Installed Tork Stage 1 tune.

August 31, 2018 - 4,960 miles

Dynoed the stock and Tork tune at Flyin' Miata. Dyno numbers are uncorrected and were done on a Dynocom 5000 series 2 wheel dyno. Dyno numbers are wheel horse power.

4th Gear Pull
Stock - 150whp/179.2 ft lbs torque
Tork Stage 1 - 179.7 whp/207.4 ft lbs torque

A 5th gear pull with Stage 1 yielded 177.5whp/228.6 ft lbs torque. The yellow line is the Tork tune. The green line is Flyin' Miata dyno test of an EC ED+Lite.

For giggles I asked for a comparison of the Tork Tune against Flyin' Miata's 2019 Miata ND2. Remember these are uncorrected numbers.

The Tork tune is better everywhere but where the stock tune feels more linear, except for that weird dip at 4700 RPMs, the Tork tune definitely has a peak at 4,500 RPMs before it starts tailing off. I was expecting about a 20% WHP gain and that's what I got. The torque bump is massive and definitely made the car more fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9NO2U5QeQwuBq5C7rpuPpg_thumb_31d.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	66254   Click image for larger version

Name:	6JOEXX5qRYOukc4fewJzpA_thumb_c8f.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	66256   Click image for larger version

Name:	68hqEQgbTTCrsB7aJ3QN7A_thumb_c91.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	66258   Click image for larger version

Name:	O0G1hVNoQoeycUVpSX3UMw_thumb_304.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	66260  
68wooley likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page