XR's 124 Spider Audio Thread - Page 18 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 148Likes

post #171 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Hey XR is there any chance you'll eventually sell the sub enclosure separately? That looks pretty nifty.

\_(ツ)_/
GFB DV+ | TS BoV Adapter | EC V4 Intake | Auto Ricambi Exhaust | Voodoo Shift Knob | CravenSpeed Door Bushings | Alfa 4C Coil Packs | EC P1 Tune |
My Audio Setup: Infinity Reference REF 6532ix (Speakers), REF-375TX (Tweeters), Infinity Primus 6002A (Amp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by owoka View Post
Hey XR is there any chance you'll eventually sell the sub enclosure separately? That looks pretty nifty.
I won't be selling the enclosure. I have a friend who has been doing fiberglass work for probably 10 years now and he's made a lot of them for the Cruze market. I sent him the foam block to make a mold for our cars. Once it's done, he'll have it up for sale on his website so you'll be able to order it directly from him.
post #173 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
In other news, I received the last of my required install materials; the speaker foam rings. Basically, these go on top of the speakers themselves and seal the speaker flange against the door trim, so music isn't reflected inside the door, and instead goes straight into the cabin. This also improves the midbass output of the speaker. These foam rings compress all the way down to almost nothing if needed so they'll seal pretty well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk
sharkcohen likes this.
post #174 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
All this being said, the speaker foam rings were the last things I was waiting on to get started! Up to this point, it's all been planning and design. I'm finally ready to move to the install phase, starting with wiring.
sharkcohen, Dualkatz and DennyA like this.
post #175 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Oh boy oh boy oh boy...!!

Steve.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #176 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
One other thing I wanted to note, there is a LOT I've learned about tuning in the last week. A lot of information I've read in the last 4 months or so all of a sudden came together. It clicked. That "AHA!" moment. There's going to be a lot of posting about this. If you want to get a head start, research the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness contour. While I am not tuning based on that, I am taking the principles learned from that and applying it to this project.

Lastly, if anyone wants to get this whole system set up but does not want to install the subwoofer (or wants to install a different one elsewhere), I can adjust the tune for you to accomodate that free of charge.
Dualkatz likes this.
post #177 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
One other thing I wanted to note, there is a LOT I've learned about tuning in the last week. A lot of information I've read in the last 4 months or so all of a sudden came together. It clicked. That "AHA!" moment. There's going to be a lot of posting about this. If you want to get a head start, research the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness contour. While I am not tuning based on that, I am taking the principles learned from that and applying it to this project I can adjust the tune for you to accomodate that free of charge.
Yeah, this is great stuff. When I was younger I used to "amaze" my buddies when they turned whatever stereo up to "stupid crazy loud" and then I adjust it back to just "crazy fun loud" and then ask them if it now sounded "better". Also part of the reason I have a twin amp system in my shop. One amp runs the highs to mid lows and the other runs just the subwoofers so I can "adjust" the bass level to whatever source we're listening to depending on music vs movie or "really loud mood" compared to "midlevel volume mood".
XtremeRevolution likes this.

White Classica Fiat 124 Spider
post #178 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Ran into another compromise. I said I wouldn't use any interior space or storage. I had to compromise that eariler as there's just nowhere to mount the amp, so I had already concluded the amp is going in the trunk back in that recess under the latch. The next compromise came in finding a place to mount the miniDSP. Simply put, there isn't anywhere in the trunk behind the left or right corner panels where I can mount the miniDSP. I sat and played with it for a good hour before I gave up. As a result, it's going in the driver's side cubby hole behind the seat. Fortunately, it doesn't take up the *whole* space back there, and you still have some space on top of the miniDSP to store smaller items.

That being said, if you don't like it there and want to put it somewhere else, you're more than welcome to move it.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 04-25-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #179 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
I won't be selling the enclosure. I have a friend who has been doing fiberglass work for probably 10 years now and he's made a lot of them for the Cruze market. I sent him the foam block to make a mold for our cars. Once it's done, he'll have it up for sale on his website so you'll be able to order it directly from him.

Have been watching this with interest, and will be looking into the complete kit and any UK shipping / supply issues, but it just occurred to me that the footwell woofer space is going to be reversed in a UK car !

- Unless you have a mould for a UK foam block, looks like I will be looking for a local builder for the sub enclosure. Will you be publishing any specs for the enclosure that I could pass on?

Thanks

"I am and ever will be a white-socks, pocket-protector nerdy engineer."
Neil Armstrong
post #180 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentsmudger View Post
Have been watching this with interest, and will be looking into the complete kit and any UK shipping / supply issues, but it just occurred to me that the footwell woofer space is going to be reversed in a UK car !

- Unless you have a mould for a UK foam block, looks like I will be looking for a local builder for the sub enclosure. Will you be publishing any specs for the enclosure that I could pass on?

Thanks
No specs needed as all of that can be tuned in this case and the shallow mount sub doesn't require much.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page