XR's 124 Spider Audio Thread - Page 3 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 148Likes

post #21 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Anxiously waiting your recommendation for the most effective way to reduce the resonance from the trunk pan. Thx!!

Paul
XtremeRevolution likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualkatz View Post
Just wanted to point out the "rectangle" again. You can see the backs of the cubbies (felt) and center console (hard plastic with a bumper on top so I think the roof actually rests on this when down) and then there's the molded "rectangle" behind these. You can feel it if you put your hand right to the back of the cubbies. If there is a void under the "rectangle", this would be some serious space (at least for this car). Just looking to see if a total "stealth" installation is possible.
I'm pretty sure that underneath that rectangle is the inlet and vent tube for the fuel tank, so I wouldn't mess with that area.
XtremeRevolution likes this.
post #23 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Anxiously waiting your recommendation for the most effective way to reduce the resonance from the trunk pan. Thx!!

Paul
Professional grade CLD tiles from SoundDeadenerShowdown.com. You need 25% coverage area so 2 CLD tiles will do it. The video will show you how much noise it actually makes, where and how to apply, and the before and after difference.

Do not waste your time with peel n stick deadeners as they will not be as effective for the amount you have to use and will add unnecessary weight. The video will explain all.
Roadscum and Dualkatz like this.
post #24 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
Professional grade CLD tiles from SoundDeadenerShowdown.com. You need 25% coverage area so 2 CLD tiles will do it. The video will show you how much noise it actually makes, where and how to apply, and the before and after difference.

Do not waste your time with peel n stick deadeners as they will not be as effective for the amount you have to use and will add unnecessary weight. The video will explain all.
Any recommendation for those in the UK? We canít get those CLD tiles easily but dynamat ect is common enough.

Fiat 124 Spider Lusso - White
GFB DV+
EC V1 Air Intake
EC Phase 1 Tune
MATCH M 5DSP - Focal RSE-165 Speakers (active)
Carplay Enabled
post #25 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Oh and side note, if anyone wants to cut down on some road noise, the bottom "pan" area of the trunk resonates LIKE CRAZY. I'll take a video soon so you can see and hear what I'm talking about. I'm actually really baffled that FIAT didn't do any sound deadening there. That's a huge miss.
Saw a video of a guy putting dynamat all over the place in the truck space and he noted that too. He was just tapping on things with a screwdriver, but that bottom pan 'rang out' pretty good (bad thing).
post #26 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:55 AM

CLD panel have been ordered!

Paul
post #27 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmagee View Post
Any recommendation for those in the UK? We canít get those CLD tiles easily but dynamat ect is common enough.
Quote:
Saw a video of a guy putting dynamat all over the place in the truck space and he noted that too. He was just tapping on things with a screwdriver, but that bottom pan 'rang out' pretty good (bad thing).
For how popular it is, it's really not all that great and people overwhelmingly take a very unscientific approach to using it.

A vibration deadener needs only 25% coverage area, if it's purpose-built and effective like CLD tiles are. A vibration deadener should not be used as a sound blocking medium. Dynamat is heralded as a "one size fits all" solution but is not particularly good at anything it claims to do compared to purpose-built products like CLD Tiles. Dynamat just does not have a thick enough flexible medium or aluminum layer to make a big difference without covering every square inch, but if that's all you have, then I guess use it.
post #28 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
For how popular it is, it's really not all that great and people overwhelmingly take a very unscientific approach to using it.
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of that type of product.

Just went and checked for myself and that lower trunk pan is adding to the racket for sure! Rings like a bell.

In the vein of "a more quiet interior is a better place to start" for stereo listening/performance, do you think some CLD tile use on the front of the rear wheel wells would help? I read somewhere that Fiat added a lot more deadener to the car as compared to Mazda and it seems like the front of the car is really quiet, but the back, not so much. Seems like there's a lot of noise coming from behind the seat area (wheel well and trunk area) more than from the convertible roof. Appears that they were getting desperate with the addition of the "fiber thingys" added to the front inner wheel well on the OUTSIDE of the car.
post #29 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:

A vibration deadener needs only 25% coverage area, if it's purpose-built and effective like CLD tiles are. A vibration deadener should not be used as a sound blocking medium. Dynamat is heralded as a "one size fits all" solution but is not particularly good at anything it claims to do compared to purpose-built products like CLD Tiles. Dynamat just does not have a thick enough flexible medium or aluminum layer to make a big difference without covering every square inch, but if that's all you have, then I guess use it.
Ok thanks for your help, don't really want to waste money on a subpar product. Would something like this be better?

Fiat 124 Spider Lusso - White
GFB DV+
EC V1 Air Intake
EC Phase 1 Tune
MATCH M 5DSP - Focal RSE-165 Speakers (active)
Carplay Enabled
post #30 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of that type of product.

Just went and checked for myself and that lower trunk pan is adding to the racket for sure! Rings like a bell.

In the vein of "a more quiet interior is a better place to start" for stereo listening/performance, do you think some CLD tile use on the front of the rear wheel wells would help? I read somewhere that Fiat added a lot more deadener to the car as compared to Mazda and it seems like the front of the car is really quiet, but the back, not so much. Seems like there's a lot of noise coming from behind the seat area (wheel well and trunk area) more than from the convertible roof. Appears that they were getting desperate with the addition of the "fiber thingys" added to the front inner wheel well on the OUTSIDE of the car.
Part of the reason for the rear noise is the top, but another part is the panel resonance. You can apply CLD tiles to any of those. As a general rule, large flat surfaces will resonate, while curved surfaces will have their own inherent strength and will not resonate. Just perform a quick screwdriver test; hit it with the back of a screwdriver. If it rings, bongs, or otherwise resonates, apply 25% coverage with CLD tiles.

This is a 124 Spider; there is nothing we can do to eliminate the noise floor that is introduced by the soft top and other parts of the system like the top drains. It is not worth going through the trouble of adding significant weight in a 100% coverage area like some cars do to actually eliminate road noise. That ship has sailed and we're not swimming after it. It is however worthwhile and cost effective to install CLD tiles methodically in specific locations, and with very little weight penalty at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmagee View Post
Ok thanks for your help, don't really want to waste money on a subpar product. Would something like this be better?
Something like what? I think you intended to post a link to a product but it didn't show up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page