Carplay up and running! - Page 41 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 375Likes

post #401 of 523 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 AM

I seem to recall reading that the compass orientation depends on whether the nav card is inserted while running the tweak. Whatever you did previously, reinsert the USB to reinstall the speedometer tweak, but alter the SD card insertion while the tweak is installing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 523 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM

Thanks @ameridan ! I was actually perusing your blog and found one of the comments that said the AA direction is flipped if the sat nav SD card is inserted. So that was an easy fix for me. I don't care one bit about sat nav now that I have AA and Carplay, so I removed the SD card and it works great now!
ameridan likes this.
post #403 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 AM

Garage
So, new (2017) 124 owner as of tomorrow and I'm anxious to make this my first update to the car!

With 41 pages of commentary, I want to make sure I'm using the latest and greatest info! Can someone please fact-check me here?

I want to user Ameridan's guide here:
https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wor...70-fiat-tweak/

And hardware-wise (besides tools) I just need:
Replacement USB cables: Mazda Part C922-V6-605A
Replacement USB HUB: Mazda Part TK78-66-9U0C

Looks like the Amazon kit has both (https://amzn.to/2Gb9tAJ) but I wasn't 100% clear if it also includes the foam and cable ties too; sounded from the blog post like it does, but the description doesn't show them.

I assume if I do all of the flash updates before I install the new hardware everything will still work okay, right, I just won't get the Carplay capability until the new hardware is in? (Thinking of doing the flash updates while waiting on the hardware to arrive and for me to find time to do the install...)

Also, my 124 is an auto, but it sounds like the concerns with removing the shifter might be Miata-specific?

When 70.00.120 comes out, I should just be able to flash that over the existing install, right? So no need to wait for it?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

---
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso

Last edited by DennyA; 04-10-2019 at 02:33 AM.
post #404 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Garage
Responding to myself... Did all the firmware updates last night, now rocking 70.100 with a touchscreen that works in motion.

Amazon kit does include the cable ties and foam so I'm all set.

Now i just have to get my garage cleaned out so I can get the car inside to do USB installation! Tried to find a local shop to expedite it (since my garage is going to take some serious work), but nobody wants to mess with it, so I'll just take the time to do it myself and finally get my garage back in action too.
ameridan and Mike34 like this.

---
post #405 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Garage
@DennyA

idk the weather situation for you...but I did the USB hub install in my driveway and its didn't take long at all. If the weather did change I could have put up my top. (although thinking now...perhaps the windows were down and the battery was disconnected?) look for a 3-4 hour window and you will be fine. I've opened up the console area several times so I was familiar with the "legos" and was able to finish quickly. Less than 2 hours taking my time.

Do the wiring harness fitment and sizing prior to the install. (follow the instruction guide for proper length) That will make the whole installation quicker.

Congrats and welcome to CarPlay

aloha mike
ameridan and DennyA like this.

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #406 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnClar View Post
Problem...hardware installed...CarPlay won’t come up. Both Android Auto and CarPlay show grayed out in applications

Ok figured it out. I had an Apple smart battery case on the phone. The case has a lightning passthru port. The phone will not connect to CarPlay through that port. Kinda surprising with it being an Apple accessory but oh well. So lesson learned. You must have the USB cable directly in the phone’s lightning port. All up and running fine now.
I'm having the same symptom, but for a different reason. I had Android Auto working fine per the kit from Mazda and latest files and instructions from this thread. Then for no good reason un-checked the box next to Android Auto in the settings' Display tab. Now there's no checkbox to re-check and the AA and Car Play lines are not enabled there nor the Applications area.

I've tried the lock-take-the-key-away-and-wait bit from the firmware instructions to try to reboot the CMU--is there a better way? I've also told my phone to forget the car in the AA settings, and deleted the AA app data on the phone as well, and AA is set to add new cars when connecting.

I'm hesitant to re-flash 70 because of the warnings about updating to it before installing the USB hardware. Is this screen how it looks after installing 70 but not the USB box yet? I don't remember if AA and CP display disabled like that at that point. Is it how it looks after installing the USB box but not setting it up with a phone yet? I imagine most people go straight to setting up a phone without looking around the menus. Has anyone else had this problem and recovered from it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190417_091815_1555521393288.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	69458  
post #407 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXXIV View Post
I'm having the same symptom, but for a different reason. I had Android Auto working fine per the kit from Mazda and latest files and instructions from this thread. Then for no good reason un-checked the box next to Android Auto in the settings' Display tab. Now there's no checkbox to re-check and the AA and Car Play lines are not enabled there nor the Applications area.

I've tried the lock-take-the-key-away-and-wait bit from the firmware instructions to try to reboot the CMU--is there a better way? I've also told my phone to forget the car in the AA settings, and deleted the AA app data on the phone as well, and AA is set to add new cars when connecting.

I'm hesitant to re-flash 70 because of the warnings about updating to it before installing the USB hardware. Is this screen how it looks after installing 70 but not the USB box yet? I don't remember if AA and CP display disabled like that at that point. Is it how it looks after installing the USB box but not setting it up with a phone yet? I imagine most people go straight to setting up a phone without looking around the menus. Has anyone else had this problem and recovered from it?
So, just to be clear, you have both firmware V70 and the hardware installed? If you don't have the new hardware installed, that's what I'd expect to see, but I don't think that's what you mean right?

I'm not familiar with Android Auto, but it does look as though the CMU is not recognizing your phone as an Android Auto capable device. A couple of things to try:

1. Make sure you are using the USB port with the smartphone icon next to it.
2. Do a hard reset of the CMU - hold all three of NAV, MUTE and BACK for a couple of seconds.
3. Do a hard reset of your phone.

I would try all of the above before doing a reflash of V70, but if you do do the reflash, it shouldn't do any harm.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #408 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the reply--good suggestions which I've done to no avail. Yes, V70 and the new hardware, and it was working fine until I unchecked the box. This evening I tried another Android phone, freshly reset and with AA installed, and it worked fine. So I think the car is fine unless it keeps some damaged profile data associated with that first phone--I have no information about how the pairing works. I'll try the problematic phone on some other AA car if I get the chance.
post #409 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 AM

Garage
Add me to the list of people who thought installs like this should be left to the pros who pulled it off flawlessly! About two hours total. Just pay very careful attention when reassembling!

@Mike34 , thanks for the prod to do it outside on a sunny day. Somehow we had a clear Saturday in Seattle, so today I did the install!

@ameridan , thanks again for the blog, was fantastic to have everything in one place. I can add some additional information regarding the automatic transmission knob removal: The warning about the rod *is* valid. When I was pulling the shift boot over the shifter, the white rod popped up and out and onto the floor. So the instructions helped me make sure I put it back in the correct orientation. I'm not sure if it would have the same issue as the MX-5 with the display not shutting off, but there's definite danger of the rod popping out.

Also, there is a third cable that needs to be removed in step 8 of the main instructions, which connects from the center console to a connector on the right side of the transmission shifter. Plus, there are cables taped to the actual console, so in the end it's easiest to leave those in place and just rest it over on the driver's side floor. Sorry, I should have taken photos of the differences on the auto, but I didn't think about doing that until later. You can see the connector that cable goes into on the right side of the shift in my "OMG what did I do to my new car" photo below.

@68wooley , the instructions and the update utility were amazing. As I mentioned elsewhere, point me to your beer fund!

ameridan, AnClar and Butterpants like this.

---

Last edited by DennyA; 04-21-2019 at 03:07 AM.
post #410 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
Add me to the list of people who thought installs like this should be left to the pros who pulled it off flawlessly! About two hours total. Just pay very careful attention when reassembling!

@Mike34 , thanks for the prod to do it outside on a sunny day. Somehow we had a clear Saturday in Seattle, so today I did the install!

@ameridan , thanks again for the blog, was fantastic to have everything in one place. I can add some additional information regarding the automatic transmission knob removal: The warning about the rod *is* valid. When I was pulling the shift boot over the shifter, the white rod popped up and out and onto the floor. So the instructions helped me make sure I put it back in the correct orientation. I'm not sure if it would have the same issue as the MX-5 with the display not shutting off, but there's definite danger of the rod popping out.

Also, there is a third cable that needs to be removed in step 8 of the main instructions, which connects from the center console to a connector on the right side of the transmission shifter. Plus, there are cables taped to the actual console, so in the end it's easiest to leave those in place and just rest it over on the driver's side floor. Sorry, I should have taken photos of the differences on the auto, but I didn't think about doing that until later. You can see the connector that cable goes into on the right side of the shift in my "OMG what did I do to my new car" photo below.

@68wooley , the instructions and the update utility were amazing. As I mentioned elsewhere, point me to your beer fund!

What a mess, maybe I might put if for the fall, when she's half asleep.

But you never know.

124 RED SPIDER MANUAL STICK ABARTH. FORGE VALVE V4.1 Euro-drive-lite- RACE + map, NGEN Coils and PTP turbo thermal blanket, catch can and REMUS Axleback exhaust with Carbon Fiber tips.
My SCATOLETTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page