Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Carplay up and running!

107K views 563 replies 53 participants last post by  TheSalamander 
#1 · (Edited)
So carplay is working well in my 124. Used mazda firmware and got the parts from a mazda dealer. Just waiting for a new Serial TTL adapter as mine is bust before putting it back together.

http://i65.tinypic.com/n16vxc.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm intrigued for the sole ability to use Waze without my phone sliding off my leg every shift...

#8 ·
For those based in North America then I believe at present you have to wait as there is not a North America firmware available yet. However for those in other geographies you can, at your own risk, use the appropriate MX-5/Mazda firmware. Do NOT try to use a firmware from a different geography...

The parts listed above for the hub and cables etc should work irrespective of geography. Please do read the installation guide carefully as there is a preferred order and set of steps you should follow. If you use the Mazda firmware you will lose your navigation (however you now have Carplay so it shouldn't be a major issue). While I don't have formal confirmation I do not believe you can use a Mazda Nav Card as the VINs won't match but I am not aware of anyone having actually tried this yet.

Unless you are a trail blazer or happy with the risk I would recommend people wait for Fiat to launch a firmware, and if you are asking when will this be then the answer is we don't know yet, but go and contact Fiat via their website, Facebook, Twitter etc and keep asking them.....

Congrats to OP, he is the second one I am aware of that has updated their 124.

TheSalamander

Reactions: Mike34
#9 ·
I’ve just noticed a couple of updates on the Miata forum and mazda3revolution forum that indicate the US firmware will be available from Sept 1st and that there are 8000 updated hubs/cables in the North America for the dealers.

If you are looking to do the update yourself then carefully read the instructions by ASH8 that are linked in the earlier post on this thread. Also be sure you have the correct version of the cables and hubs as some earlier and/or China specific ones have been available which do not work on non-China cars.

Remember that the Mazda firmware will be required until Fiat release their one. The impact of this is the loss of the use of the Fiat navigation SD card.

Reactions: Fernando Cabrera
#11 ·
Just finised restoring the ability to tweak with the serial connection, all works great. You can use the touch interface while driving.

Let me know if anyone wants me to try anything out. If you are going to do this make sure you get the foam tape, its important!

#13 ·
Got the parts from Mazda Wolverhampton. Did not tell them what the parts were for, just listed the numbers. Cost me £196 for the parts. I know people have paid a little less but I got them pretty quickly.

#14 ·
For those not checking the Miata forum then the following is the latest info for North America Miata firmware (Thanks to ASH8 for posting there, this is a duplicate of his post https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=675057&page=9 )

FIRMWARE NA N 70.00.021A is not available yet in the wild...

North America, USA, Canada, Mexico, known as 'NA N' on your Touch-screen.
1. FIRMWARE version for 'NA N' for CP/AA of two .up files.
cmu150_NA_70.00.021A_failsafe.up file MUST be Installed FIRST.
cmu150_NA_70.00.021A_reinstall.up file MUST be Installed SECOND.

2. C922-V6-605 New USB Data Cable set of two, MUST be Installed THIRD.
3. TK78-66-9U0C New AUX Unit, MUST be Installed FOURTH.

Link for Manuals..AND Instructions for FIRMWARE Install.
https://mega.nz/#F!3A0DkA4R!pREP1DJkn0HBqVUolHUbXA

#17 ·
Everything under the maintenance section is still there and works perfectly. If anyone would like specific screenshots or pics let me know and I will sort them :)

Reactions: ameridan
#18 ·
As a UK owner this is very interesting - Ideally I would like to know if google maps can be used as sat-nav with this? - I use this on my phone on a sucker mount currently, as I find it works really well with live traffic but would prefer this on the built in screen.

Never mind - Have just realised that Carplay is the Apple system and I need Android Auto!
Android auto is working fine too ?

#20 · (Edited)
I just saw how Fiat is implementing CarPlay on the 500 and I have to say that it's disappointing to see it running in a window inside their infotainment screen. Hopefully they have a "full-screen" mode that I missed.

If we're lucky Mazda will do a better job and those of us in North America will get a chance. (I know...)

#21 ·
I've ordered my Car Play parts from Mazda and will be going the Mazda firmware route as well.

As part of chasing the progress of my car with FCA NA I enquired about any updates on Car Play from Fiat for the 124. At present there are none. Not sure if this is because Mazda is taking priority for all the component kits or if Fiat is just not interested.

TheSalamander

#22 ·
I've also spent this morning installing the Mazda firmware and upgrade hub. Instructions are fairly easy to follow, just allow 3-5 hours depending how quick you are at these types of things. CarPlay is now working and Waze navigation is great.

TheSalamander

Attachments

#25 ·
Also just completed the serial id7 hack. A little more nail biting just because you can't really see what the commands you are typing are doing. But worked fine and now I can replace the Mazda bootup/shutdown animations back to Abarth/Fiat.

TheSalamander

#29 · (Edited)
In the pics, I noticed you had it all buttoned back up, and wondered if you were going to do the serial hack. I'm proud of you! I don't know if I would have taken that on. We'll get you back on Abarth bootup, but i wouldn't advise my shutdown animation, because the CarPlay and AA use up most of your memory now. I'm guessing your Mazda bootup is only the animated logo now, and not the animation leading to the 5 home screen buttons, correct? Does your 70 have a Mazda animated shutdown? I'm guessing not, unless it's the same small logo animation.

#34 ·
#38 ·
That’s awesomely thanks for doing that.

I’m using the EU 21 not 100 firmware however so is it safe to use?

#37 ·
It works - I used the Abarth version and it looks good. Included photos of the process and a couple of bonus ones of Waze on CarPlay in a 124 ;-)

TheSalamander

Attachments

Reactions: Mike34 and ameridan
#45 ·
So its been about a week and I am really enjoying Waze/CarPlay. The ability to use Waze now that iOS 12 is available makes a big difference. I also like that I can have the map on the main infotainment screen and the next set of turns showing up on the phone so it gives me time to prepare and ensure I am in the right lane.

The extra benefit of getting notified when 'x%' over speed limits, when there are hazards on the road or when others have seen police is an extra bonus on top. This is my setup using MX5Things phone holder. You can also see the GENK80A frameless mirror, red piping in the door and the alcantara lower passenger dash, handbrake and gear shroud that I fitted.

I have no idea why the first two photos are rotated.

TheSalamander

Attachments

Reactions: SJWhiteley
#48 ·
No issues with XM Radio or anything other than the inbuilt navigation no longer functioning. Note: At present there is no straightforward way to revert back to a Fiat firmware as none are publicly available that I am aware of. It is possible a Fiat dealer would be willing to do this in the same way they update the firmware to the latest Fiat version on cars etc - but I am not aware of anyone that has actually tried this. If/when a Fiat firmware is publicly available then it should be easy to revert back should anyone desire.

For the Serial id7 Hack - you only need to do this if you are already on firmware 59.00.502 or higher (read this: https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wo...ability-to-tweak-in-future-firmware-versions/)
Otherwise you can preserve the ability to tweak without having to take apart the dash to get to the CMU.

To get instructions on how to do the serial hack go here:
https://mazdatweaks.com/serial/

I had to take this route as my car was already on a more recent firmware. I bought on Amazon the recommended items listed and used Kitty on my laptop (rather than Putty etc). Taking apart the dash is easy and links to PDFs with all the disassembly instructions are on the ASH8 post on the Miata forum. Doing the actual serial hack once the back of the CMU is available doesn't take much time, but may be a little 'scary' as you can't actually see what you are typing on the computer screen - I just cut and pasted the commands and it worked fine for me.

hth

TheSalamander

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.