Garage
(Thread Starter)
Pandora nonsense

Aloha All

background
2018 Lusso Spider non-bose auto 6 speaker
iPhone 8+ Latest iOS and all apps up-to-date
The two above connected via USB cable.

Recently the external drive that held my music collection died, and the backup drive die some months ago and I hadn't gotten around to purchasing a replacement, yet. I lost 25 years worth of music. (Lesson learned!) I decided that this would be a good thing; blah blah blah...

I've been a fan of Pandora for ages, recently upgrading my basic account to a "plus" account (thanks to T-mobile). If I'm not listen to a podcast, I'm normally listen to Pandora. In my old car it was easy. Set the audio system to USB and set my station on the phone and it was fine.

The Fiat/Mazda system offers a builtin "Pandora" mode, which I thought would be great... Here's the trouble. I switch the car's audio input to "Pandora" and then pick my channel, but the audio plays through the phone speaker! So I have to switch the car audio back to USB, to get the sound to the car speakers. These seems like a flaw...

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Is there a work around?

King of Hyrule, Father of Zelda.
(aka Matthew)

Follow me as I raise my daughter, with only the spider as our daily driver on Instagram: GrowingUpFast808.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
Matthew...can you select the output on the iphone? I know sometimes when someone calls me it won't switch to the car speakers and i have to tap the phone and select 124 spider as the output.

aloha mike

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Garage
Unplug the phone from the USB port, and see how Pandora works over Bluetooth. Let us know if that works.
Mike34 likes this.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Garage
thats true @sharkcohen I have found it less glitchy thru Bluetooth. Maybe thats why I rarely (Never) use the USB ports.

aloha mike

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:40 PM

I couldn't get past the fact that the Pandora App, and Bluetooth in general, doesn't display the album art so I always just play music through USB on the Spotify/Pandora apps on my phone. I don't remember ever having issued with the sound coming out of my phone when using the in-car app though.
Mike34 likes this.

- Jonathan

2017 Abarth - Russo with heritage stripe - Recaros - Brembos - Bose Package
Mods: Cat-back un-resonated GWR exhaust - EC v4 intake - EC Intercooler - EC Catch Can - GFB DV+ - Raceseng Circuit Cylinder shift knob - Stubby Antenna - Blackbird Fabworx roll bar - EC Phase 2 tune - 4C coil packs - Brisk spark plugs - Vaitrix boost gauge
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Garage
I’m using iPhones, and Bluetooth for Pandora, and I (usually) get album art on the FIAT screen. I’m using Bluetooth because I’m powering my phone with a 35W 12V adapter and USB-C to Lightning cable for fast charging. I was also having some funky behavior with the USB port and media playback, but I can’t remember the details. It might have been that gap less playback was failing, or maybe that was one of my other cars.
jopo and Mike34 like this.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK

Last edited by sharkcohen; 10-02-2018 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So it does work via Bluetooth, as expected. Except the sound level is significantly reduced.

Using USB for the audio source the car’s audio I set the volume to 25 - 35, with 35 being my loud.

Selecting Bluetooth audio, I find I need to have the volume set to 40(!) before getting anything listenable out of the car’s audio. I have it turned up to 50(!!) to start rocking out.

Thoughts?

PS: I’ve gone from thinking the 6 speaker audio was passable to maybe even passable to now thinking my next project is a speaker upgrade. (It would would have to wait until 2019).

(aka Matthew)

Follow me as I raise my daughter, with only the spider as our daily driver on Instagram: GrowingUpFast808.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Garage
Double check your phone volume when connected by Bluetooth, it may need to be set to max. I went two weeks with the same complaint when I got my Spider before I realized it was the phone volume.
8171 and TonyR like this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
I have problems with playing pandora and stitcher on this system. I does not function in various ways about 30% of the time. I hope there is a software update available at my next dealer service to fix the bugs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Pandora and I have settled into a working relationship. It works about 9 out of 10 times. Which is better than before.

My guess is the car's Pandora interface and the Pandora app (on the phone) have failed a handshake. The car remotely starts the phone app, but the app is never heard from again, so the car's Pandora interface is left hanging. Which is why switching the car input from "Pandora" to Bluetooth gets music. The two apps just aren't talking, but the phone is in fact playing music from Pandora.

Switching to the Bluetooth input and then back to the "Pandora" input restart the car's Pandora interface, and get things working - at least for me, most of the time. Trying waiting for the Contact updating to finish first.

I really feel its related to the syncing of contacts. I'm guessing the slow-as-duck data transfer, contacts at every start up, interferes with the handshake between the car Pandora interface and the Pandora app on the phone.

And yes I chose to the use the word "duck" and I think its funny.

(aka Matthew)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page