Cracked Fog Light Lens . . . - Fiat 124 Spider Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cracked Fog Light Lens . . .

Just noticed the lens on the passenger-side fog light is cracked. I guess a well placed rock did the deed, as there is no damage anywhere else on the vehicle. At any rate, instead of OEM replacement for just the passenger-side, I was contemplating a LED fog light package and replace both. Has anyone looked into this option? Or know of an upgrade option for the fog lights which is plug and play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Garage
Way-back-when I looked at this (about a year ago), and could not find any replacements that would fit. The mounting is pretty unique, and would require some design work to get a generic to fit - the lights are staggered/tapered for unique left/right positions. Things may have changed, now. A replacement is about $250 from a dealer, but you will likely get it a bit cheaper (OEM) online.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM

That’s unfournate. I plan on convering mine as well as the hood and bumper and headlights with a clear wrap. (Paint protection).

I’ve also read that the windshield is numberable so will be convering that up too with a tinted wrap.

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
... I plan on convering ...headlights with a clear wrap....
What protection can you put on the lights? It's a very complex curve, made out of plastic (which seems to distort and stretch rather than crack). Since a replacement is $2k for the LED, I'd like to find something to protect them; at least a sacrificial layer.

Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I’ll have to pull it and see if there is any match out there. If not, it is not the worst thing to OEM replace—was just hoping to improve on the OEM when having to spend the cash in the first place. I’ll post if I find anything worth mentioning.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
What protection can you put on the lights? It's a very complex curve, made out of plastic (which seems to distort and stretch rather than crack). Since a replacement is $2k for the LED, I'd like to find something to protect them; at least a sacrificial layer.
Just googled it and found XPEL (a well-known brand) has a film for headlights/fog lights. So, whatever the equivalent for our model is.

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.

Last edited by MiniDreamCar; 10-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:21 AM

Were you able to find a replacement? Coincidentally my passenger side fog lamp lens also cracked!

Do you have a part number for the the lens?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
That’s unfournate. I plan on convering mine as well as the hood and bumper and headlights with a clear wrap. (Paint protection).

I’ve also read that the windshield is numberable so will be convering that up too with a tinted wrap.
A word of caution regarding covering glass light with any film. I had film (3M) installed on the fog lights on my Mitsubishi Montero to prevent rock damage, and the end result is that both lights cracked from excess heat. The film itself will also darken over time from the heat as well, but that's the least of your concerns. Two little film rounds are cheap to replace, but if they crack your lights... well... As for film on the windshield, so long as your vehicle doesn't have the rain sensing wipers and auto-dimming, you're okay. If you have those functions and like them, the film will kill the functionality.

I had film applied over my headlights on the Spider when I had the front end filmed, and they fit really nicely. They just cut the film from templates for the vehicle, and it works around the curves the same way as it does on the body of the car itself. They heat if for installation and it conforms to the shape. Time will tell if they darken or become cloudy, but they're a very small bit of film to replace is that happens.

A person used to be able to purchase wire mesh clip on stone chip screens for vehicles, and since the fogs are round, that might be an option as opposed to using film. I had a set of rectangular ones for a front bumper mounted light rack of four lamps on an older SUV I owned, and they worked well over the years.

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

Last edited by CDPond; 01-23-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgary View Post
Were you able to find a replacement? Coincidentally my passenger side fog lamp lens also cracked!

Do you have a part number for the the lens?

Most unfortunate.

The whole lamp needs replacing. I donít have a part number for the past I got, but this may be the correct one:

https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/a...fog-lamps-scat

FCA dealership should be able to look it up, even if they say they canít.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
Most unfortunate.

The whole lamp needs replacing. I donít have a part number for the past I got, but this may be the correct one:

https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/a...fog-lamps-scat

FCA dealership should be able to look it up, even if they say they canít.

Thanks! This is helpful. Looks like orientation is when you face the car as left is passenger.

Oh man, that part is expensive!! Even with a discount, the cheapest Iíve found is $185!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page