Lighting upgrade: headlights, running lights and fogs - Page 2 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 13Likes

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks HaZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes - the Hikari bulbs are a two pack.

Abarth - Manual - Brembo - Recaro
DV+ -- Autoricambi Muffler Delete -- EC P1+ -- H&R Springs -- CarPlay
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
Putting LEDs in the fogs requires you to look at the size of the bulb compared to stock/standard bulb (unless you want to do surgery on the fog light housing). Thereís a center shield which limits the length. A few people went with bulbs which fit precisely. I went the surgery route.

Is it simple to take the housing apart? Basic bake and separate? I want to remove the center shield.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgary View Post
Is it simple to take the housing apart? Basic bake and separate? I want to remove the center shield.
Unfortunately, no. (well, I couldn't see a way to separate the housing). I used slender pliers (and a few other tool attempts) and created a '180 degrees' screwdriver to get at the center shield screw through the bulb mounting hole. The center shield is a very soft metal and bends relatively easily.

EDIT: An image of the crude tools I used to get the center piece out.

Resultant LED in the fog light housing.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.

Last edited by SJWhiteley; 12-26-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added images
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. (well, I couldn't see a way to separate the housing). I used slender pliers (and a few other tool attempts) and created a '180 degrees' screwdriver to get at the center shield screw through the bulb mounting hole. The center shield is a very soft metal and bends relatively easily.

EDIT: An image of the crude tools I used to get the center piece out.

Resultant LED in the fog light housing.

Can you remove the housing through the fender or must the bumper come off?

Iíll give a shot. I wonder if I can drill the back side the screw out then fill with epoxy.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgary View Post
Can you remove the housing through the fender or must the bumper come off?

Iíll give a shot. I wonder if I can drill the back side the screw out then fill with epoxy.
You can remove the light from inside the fender; just remove the fender liner (might be able to do it just pushing the liner out of the way, but taking an extra 5-10 minutes will make it easier).

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
You can remove the light from inside the fender; just remove the fender liner (might be able to do it just pushing the liner out of the way, but taking an extra 5-10 minutes will make it easier).

Thanks! Iíll give it a shot and try your method first.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I was able to wiggle the shield back and forth until it broke at the screw. I just left the screw in. Looks much better!

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZ View Post
Adjusted white balance using my dashboard as reference. Now this is way closer to what you would see in person.

I am not sure but based on the odometer reading of these pictures, one was taken at 59831 miles with the standard halogens and 59775 with the led upgrades? did he change out the bulbs back to the halogens for a before and after picture. because if not the latter of the pictures (highest mileage) should have been the upgraded bulbs which appear to be dimmer...

2017 124 Abarth, on the crater infested roads of New Orleans
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM
HaZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
I am not sure but based on the odometer reading of these pictures, one was taken at 59831 miles with the standard halogens and 59775 with the led upgrades? did he change out the bulbs back to the halogens for a before and after picture. because if not the latter of the pictures (highest mileage) should have been the upgraded bulbs which appear to be dimmer...
Yes I changed back to the halogens for the first picture. The second picture is with the LED bulb. The second picture was taken before the first picture. I have since switched back to the LEDs because the halogens were unbearably dim.

'17 Classica | Tork Stage 1 tune, EC V4 intake, intercooler, AutoRicambi exhaust w/custom tips, Forge BOV, Progress lowering springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K5R wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in