Outside temperature sensor and gauge is very slow - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Outside temperature sensor and gauge is very slow

My Spider outside temp gauge (or the sensor) is very slow at changing the indicated temp. I keep the car in warm +20c (68 fahrenheit) garage while in the outside it is -10c (14 fahrenheit). When I leave home, it takes up to 5 minutes for the gauge to start moving and up to 15 minutes for the gauge to indicate correct outside temp. I have never experienced such slow temperature meter in any other car.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Also, I have a question if this temp meter is used only for cockpit info, or is the same sensor used to measure motor intake air temp? If the latter (inspite of my doiubts), then I need to take the car to the dealer asap as the ECU is not using right data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM

Garage
Yes, you are correct, it is extremely slow. But it isn’t the same as the intake air temperature; using an OBD data receiver you can see the ECU temperatures used and it’s not the same.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:41 AM

It is slow and always off by aprox. 5 degrees.

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 AM

Mine is similar, very slow to change from when leaving the garage and often seems to read a higher outside temperature than it really is.

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks. Then it is a 'feature' and nothing to worry about. Mine is accurate, though, but it just takes time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Garage
Don't forget that the guys in the US have the gauge reading degF and not degC, so their "error" of 5 degF is "only" 3 degC. NBut in my experience, the gauge seems to be accurate, but I've never noticed it being slow, that could be because it's not kept in heated storage.
CDPond likes this.

Driving FIATs since 1978
1985 Pininfarina SpiderEuropa & 1996 Fiat Coupe 20v turbo & 2000 Pearl White Plus
2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶F̶i̶a̶t̶ ̶1̶2̶4̶ ̶S̶p̶i̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶A̶n̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶U̶K̶ ̶#̶6̶2̶ 2017 Italia Blue Lusso Plus
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzura View Post
Don't forget that the guys in the US have the gauge reading degF and not degC, so their "error" of 5 degF is "only" 3 degC. NBut in my experience, the gauge seems to be accurate, but I've never noticed it being slow, that could be because it's not kept in heated storage.
I think that's the answer to the equation. Wherever in heck the sensor is located, it obviously takes a while to adjust to ambient outside temperature from wherever it just spent the last hours at, and to me, that makes sense.

In the winter, there are rare times when our temperatures in Canada are the same as the US.(well, maybe Alaska in the US). At -40, the temperature is the same in both F and C. lol

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzura View Post

Hm... Now that you said it... I need to keep an eye on that 3 celsius....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly where is the sensor located?
best regards
Pete

Pflugerville, Texas
Gem of the Blackland Prairie!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Garage
I believe it’s in the left hand front fender well, behind the light cluster. A very enclosed space.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page