Is the upgraded audio pkg from factory worth it? - Page 2 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 35Likes

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:45 PM

I have to agree with jackovheartz. After I straight piped my car I drive with the top down as often as possible. Every time the car pops, or gurgles, or I hit a shift perfectly I just smile. No song sounds as good as this little engine does. Sometimes in the early morning I'll listen to the radio for background noise but ultimately if the car didn't even have a radio I'd be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Haha @jetlag , I have only tested it to these levels for interests sake!
jetlag likes this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike34 View Post
Honestly for me...I drive with the top down so much...that I could never appreciate the "great/good/bad" sounds. (I have the Bose package) I have the outside winds and noises constantly assaulting me. So it doesn't matter to me. I can hear the music, and even when people call me..so I'm good lol.

aloha mike
I respect your stance on it, but we're obviously on opposite sides. I am talking about being able to enjoy tunes w/the top down. If top down = no bass anymore, barely hear my music, distortion, etc then I will be miserable w/the car..

Also, all the comments about listen to the exhaust, no music really don't help.

2018 Charger Hellcat
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
I have to agree with Mike on this one. I found a car with a Bose package so I that wouldn't feel the need to do anything more to it and I don't. I've never heard the stock system so can't compare. The wind noise and my **** exhaust are so loud a good stereo isn't that important after all. I think based on your statement that it is NEED for you that will you will not be satisfied with either system. Therefore I'd plan on aftermarket upgrades later.
Do you still get headrest speakers in the non-Bose cars & all Classicas?

2018 Charger Hellcat
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harts View Post
It really will depend on your personal expectations, however I find that the stock Bose system is easily listened to.
In the past I have run predominantly JL Audio splits, JL W7 Subs and DLS amps.

My advice would be to test the Bose system with a clean source (I can confirm FM radio sounds horrible, don't bother), I use Spotify for my music streaming and Google play for music purchases. Either of these sources sounds more than acceptable when turned up to between 45-52 on my Bose with the input volume (from my phone) all the way up. Turning the input volume up aids with a little compression which I find helps bring out the bass more for a punchier sound if you want to listen loud. Don't forget to eq to taste when testing if you like a certain sound style, warm, highs, bassy etc.

The one caveat here is that I will upgrade the sub, amp and speakers at some stage if I keep the car long term, but for now it is all good!

Good luck!
I only use my iPod or a thumb drive with all my music on it. Never satellite or FM.

2018 Charger Hellcat
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
My 2017 Classica had the "Technology Package" option. Most dealers order them this way rather than the base no frills head unit. The back up camera is a nice add as well as the push button start and 7" touch screen. This does not include the Bose upgrade. You can initiate the NAV features by just buying the SIM card for it on Amazon for about $70.
Does said "technology package" include headrest speakers & a sub?

2018 Charger Hellcat
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
Do you still get headrest speakers in the non-Bose cars & all Classicas?
I don't know but I can tell you the headrest speakers even the Bose package are next to worthless and are more for doing a handsfree phone call in the car than for listening to music.

You mentioned our comments about listening to the exhaust aren't helpful. We've already told you that you won't be happy with either the Bose or stock stereo system. If a car with a less than audiophile quality sound system will make you miserable, then you're going to be miserable in this car if that's what you are looking for.
CXXIV likes this.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
I don't know but I can tell you the headrest speakers even the Bose package are next to worthless and are more for doing a handsfree phone call in the car than for listening to music.

You mentioned our comments about listening to the exhaust aren't helpful. We've already told you that you won't be happy with either the Bose or stock stereo system. If a car with a less than audiophile quality sound system will make you miserable, then you're going to be miserable in this car if that's what you are looking for.
I said I am not looking to enter any contests, but I still need some bass & be able to listen loud w/o distortion w/the top down.

No music really pumps through the headrest speakers? Sounds like the complete opposite of the headrest speakers in all my NA Miatas.

2018 Charger Hellcat
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
Does said "technology package" include headrest speakers & a sub?
The technology package includes headrest speakers only for the driver. Only the Bose package gets the sub and passenger seat headrest speakers. Full details here.
CXXIV, jetlag and NeverEnough like this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM

As others have mentioned. In my experience the headrest speakers seemed to be used more for hands free calling than music playing. That is with the stereo set to default or near default settings. The music seems to come more from the front and door speakers.
CXXIV likes this.

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page