Is the upgraded audio pkg from factory worth it? - Page 3 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 35Likes

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
I respect your stance on it, but we're obviously on opposite sides. I am talking about being able to enjoy tunes w/the top down. If top down = no bass anymore, barely hear my music, distortion, etc then I will be miserable w/the car..

Also, all the comments about listen to the exhaust, no music really don't help.
I have the Bose in my Abarth, and I am pretty impressed with it considering the type of car that it is.

Over the summer,, I did a lot of driving on interstate highways here in the Northeast. Top down, radio cranked up, left lane, 80 to 90 mph. The Bose sounded great to me.

For example, with the volume way up, the hard hitting punchy bass and drums in the song "Sail" by AWOLNATION sounds clean and distortion free, while it also feels like someone is hitting the car with a big hammer.

To be honest, I am not much of an audiophile. I am 56 years old, and my hearing isn't as good as it was 30 years ago. But it sounds good to me.
jetlag likes this.

2017 Abarth 124 Spider
Manual Transmission, Bianco Perla, Nero/Rosso Seats, Lux Package.
Mods:
GFB DV+, Euro Abarth Engine Cover, Euro Red Mirror Caps and Lower Front Facia Trim, (Lip) Rosso Air Vents, Redline Goods Shift Boot, Handbrake Boot and Armrest, Coco Mats Red and Black "Chequers" Floor Mats, Braille B2015 AGM Battery, Eurocompulsion V4 Intake, Motor-O-Polis/Guardian Design D Shape Steering Wheel.
More To Come...

Also:
2014 Fiat 500L
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
I’d also say the Bose system sounds great.

But, if you are comparing stock to the upgraded/Bose system, then I think the only way to determine for you is to listen to both. You will always find someone who says both are great and both are crap. Its subjective.
CXXIV and jetlag like this.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 PM

As far as the headrest speakers are concerned, as much as I wanted them to have an impact, they really aren't much good for anything other than the phone. I don't like the traditional front biased sound stage, preferring to be in the middle of the stage as opposed to in front of it (a la rock conecert). I was hoping the headrest speakers would be ok, but they really only serve to help with the phone.

That said the Bose system still sounds acceptable without the headrest speakers sounding awesome!

You mentioned bass a few times as a desired listening feature , I think the footwell sub performs well for what it is. I find that if you want to listen to a heavy base hit, set the bass eq at +4 for the Bose system.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM
JPL

It was to me, as I wanted the NAV and they came packaged together. As to costs...they were free. I got my Abarth with lighting, Nav, Brembo, recaro and convenience package all for about 1K over an Abarths base price...so I canít complain. I got what I wanted in the correct color pretty much fully loaded (did not want a black stripe on a black car). I had to drive 2+ hours to get it, but that only cost me 65$ for a one way rental with enterprise. I also think it too less time including the drive there and back as I had worked out the final price before leaving to get the car. All in all very happy. JP
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:42 AM

Garage
The upgraded Bose system and the Recaro seats were the only options that I was concerned about getting when I was looking for my Abarth. I'm not an audiophile but I enjoy my music and didn't want to worry about that being a problem with the top down and to be honest, it hasn't been. I've been happy with it without any complaints. The output from the headrest speakers isn't huge but I don't think it should be. They're next to your ears, if the output was really big there would be no point of having front speakers because the sound would be dominated from them. They're definitely used for music as well, if you adjust the fader back they are more noticeable but I think the speaker balance front to back is pretty good. Again, I'm not aware of many convertibles that you are more exposed than this car and the Miata. It's not the place for a truly high end system. That being said, with the top down and windows up at 80mph on the highway, it has no problem drowning out the wind noise and a passenger that's trying to talk to me when I'd rather just enjoy the drive....lol

Make it easy on yourself. Go test drive an Abarth or Lusso that has the Bose, put the top down and test it. YOU know what you're looking for, we don't.

Last edited by pepsyman1; 01-06-2019 at 02:44 AM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 PM

I watched a takedown before, I can't recall if it was the Miata or Spider, but it seems that they went to great lengths to keep the weight down in the vehicle, and that means no sound deadening on panels that you would usually expect on most cars. Like when they pulled the carpet in the trunk it didn't have a bunch of those tar sheets that you'd usually see slapped all over the place.

The Spider is also likely to have more wind noise than the RF Miata version that you might also want to take a look at.

I haven't compared them, but some of the reviewers online were saying they found the upgraded audio system to not be all that great, but I'd just add that if you're going to be investing in upgrades to consider that if you're also throwing a subwoofer in there that you may end up fighting buzzing.

So for an audiophile that loves bass, you may even forget convertibles in general and go for a heavier coupe that has craptons of sound deadening slapped all over the place like the Mustang Ecoboost Premium that gets an upgrade interior that even includes active noise cancelling tech (from Sony I think).
Mike34 likes this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Smith View Post
I watched a takedown before, I can't recall if it was the Miata or Spider, but it seems that they went to great lengths to keep the weight down in the vehicle, and that means no sound deadening on panels that you would usually expect on most cars. Like when they pulled the carpet in the trunk it didn't have a bunch of those tar sheets that you'd usually see slapped all over the place.

The Spider is also likely to have more wind noise than the RF Miata version that you might also want to take a look at.

I haven't compared them, but some of the reviewers online were saying they found the upgraded audio system to not be all that great, but I'd just add that if you're going to be investing in upgrades to consider that if you're also throwing a subwoofer in there that you may end up fighting buzzing.

So for an audiophile that loves bass, you may even forget convertibles in general and go for a heavier coupe that has craptons of sound deadening slapped all over the place like the Mustang Ecoboost Premium that gets an upgrade interior that even includes active noise cancelling tech (from Sony I think).

I must agree with you Jessica. these are great little cars, they are true sports cars. some people have unrealistic expectations for what they are going to get. they want v-8 power, with Porsche handling, sound studio audio quality, with the cargo capacity of a f-350. these and the miatas are probably the least expensive true sports cars on the market, be happy, have fun, but be realistic....

2017 124 Abarth, on the crater infested roads of New Orleans
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM

For those that have the Bose, an easy way to experience the difference in EQ between top up and down is to (while the top is down) reach into the cavity in the header where the top's latches into and push inside with your finger. There is a micro-switch inside that changes the audio settings and you can hear the headrest speakers doing their thing. These do more than just make phone calls clearer...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jetlag Send a message via MSN to jetlag Send a message via Yahoo to jetlag
This is good to know, thanks

2018 Abarth, MT, Euro Compulsion Inter-Cooler, Euro Compulsion V4 intake, Catch Can, GFB DV+, Euro Compulsion Phase I, II, PTP Turbo Blanket, Cusco Front brace bar, Record Monza Exhaust, soundproofing tiles
2015 Dodge Ram Laramie Eco Diesel
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bircken View Post
These do more than just make phone calls clearer...
When I said that the headrest speakers were only good for phone calls, it wasn't because they didn't transmit sound.

The speakers in the headrest sound horrible!
Chainringtattoo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page