Is the upgraded audio pkg from factory worth it? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 35Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Is the upgraded audio pkg from factory worth it?

I know for a fact that I need to be able to enjoy my tunes & have some bass & be able to blast them with the top down without distortion issues. In my Miatas, I upgraded the head unit, headrest speakers & door speakers + powered an aftermarket foot well sub with an aftermarket amp in the trunk. I'm not entering any stereo contests, but if I cannot enjoy my tunes then I will not enjoy the drive.

I've been skipping all Classicas b/c they do not have the upgraded stereo pkg the Lusso has & I have only been looking for a Lusso with the nav & sound pkg.

My question is, is that pkg worth holding out for or am I going to be spending my time & $ swapping all the stereo stuff out with aftermarket anyway? I would prefer not to have to do that (The whole reason I am holding out for the right car w/the nav & sound pkg). The older I get, the less I want to have to do mods like this. It's 2019, new cars should come with good stereos.

If you think I will be ripping even the upgraded factory stuff out, is it just your usual simple plug & play with everything aka can I buy your simple harness to install an aftermarket head unit & speakers & then just run the sub & amp right to the new HU per usual?

2018 Charger Hellcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM

There are a number of threads on the Miata forum and this forum on people either upgrading speakers or not being happy with the existing audio or even the BOSE. It’s subjective so i’m not sure anyone can answer your question. If there is a Mazda dealer near by then see if they have one with the Bose since it is the same as the 124.
CXXIV likes this.

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Honestly for me...I drive with the top down so much...that I could never appreciate the "great/good/bad" sounds. (I have the Bose package) I have the outside winds and noises constantly assaulting me. So it doesn't matter to me. I can hear the music, and even when people call me..so I'm good lol.

aloha mike
sharkcohen, CXXIV, jetlag and 1 others like this.

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Actually what Mike34 said, + get yourself a good exhaust and it will beat any good Audio, cause that will be music to your ears.
wolf18t, Mike34, jetlag and 1 others like this.

124 RED SPIDER MANUAL STICK ABARTH. FORGE VALVE V4.1 Euro-drive-lite- RACE + map, NGEN Coils and PTP turbo thermal blanket, catch can and REMUS Axleback exhaust with Carbon Fiber tips.
My SCATOLETTA
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 PM

My 2017 Classica had the "Technology Package" option. Most dealers order them this way rather than the base no frills head unit. The back up camera is a nice add as well as the push button start and 7" touch screen. This does not include the Bose upgrade. You can initiate the NAV features by just buying the SIM card for it on Amazon for about $70.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM

It really will depend on your personal expectations, however I find that the stock Bose system is easily listened to.
In the past I have run predominantly JL Audio splits, JL W7 Subs and DLS amps.

My advice would be to test the Bose system with a clean source (I can confirm FM radio sounds horrible, don't bother), I use Spotify for my music streaming and Google play for music purchases. Either of these sources sounds more than acceptable when turned up to between 45-52 on my Bose with the input volume (from my phone) all the way up. Turning the input volume up aids with a little compression which I find helps bring out the bass more for a punchier sound if you want to listen loud. Don't forget to eq to taste when testing if you like a certain sound style, warm, highs, bassy etc.

The one caveat here is that I will upgrade the sub, amp and speakers at some stage if I keep the car long term, but for now it is all good!

Good luck!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jetlag Send a message via MSN to jetlag Send a message via Yahoo to jetlag
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harts View Post
It really will depend on your personal expectations, however I find that the stock Bose system is easily listened to.
In the past I have run predominantly JL Audio splits, JL W7 Subs and DLS amps.

My advice would be to test the Bose system with a clean source (I can confirm FM radio sounds horrible, don't bother), I use Spotify for my music streaming and Google play for music purchases. Either of these sources sounds more than acceptable when turned up to between 45-52 on my Bose with the input volume (from my phone) all the way up. Turning the input volume up aids with a little compression which I find helps bring out the bass more for a punchier sound if you want to listen loud. Don't forget to eq to taste when testing if you like a certain sound style, warm, highs, bassy etc.

The one caveat here is that I will upgrade the sub, amp and speakers at some stage if I keep the car long term, but for now it is all good!

Good luck!

45-52, WOW!! I know I am hearing challenged and hesitant to turn it much more than 35-36 because of it. I am trying to protect what's left of my hearing lol. But now I realize why the Bose system sounds so bad. It is not loud enough!! My bride offered a wise statement around 18 months ago when my right ear went on vacation: she said your rock and roll days are over! I was fortunate to get some of it back, but scared to push it too much. I don't think I have used the FM radio on it, strictly Sirius radio so far. Glorious Beatles channel keeps me happy. But I will turn it up to your levels at least once just to put a big grin on my face, just don't mention it to my bride. Now that we just installed the Record Monza Exhaust, I am like Frankmar, just enjoy those sounds.
CDPond and Mike34 like this.

2018 Abarth, MT, Euro Compulsion Inter-Cooler, Euro Compulsion V4 intake, Catch Can, GFB DV+, Euro Compulsion Phase I, II, PTP Turbo Blanket, Cusco Front brace bar, Record Monza Exhaust, soundproofing tiles
2015 Dodge Ram Laramie Eco Diesel
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike34 View Post
Honestly for me...I drive with the top down so much...that I could never appreciate the "great/good/bad" sounds. (I have the Bose package) I have the outside winds and noises constantly assaulting me. So it doesn't matter to me. I can hear the music, and even when people call me..so I'm good lol.

aloha mike
I have to agree with Mike on this one. I found a car with a Bose package so I that wouldn't feel the need to do anything more to it and I don't. I've never heard the stock system so can't compare. The wind noise and my **** exhaust are so loud a good stereo isn't that important after all. I think based on your statement that it is NEED for you that will you will not be satisfied with either system. Therefore I'd plan on aftermarket upgrades later.
Mike34 and jetlag like this.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Ditto Mike and Chainring.

I've had the car for 3 months, never driven with the top up, never listened to the radio or music either. Being part of the surrounding clatter of traffic, wind in the cabin, road noise and exhaust note is what does it for me.

Modern cars seem to try and isolate you entirely from the surroundings so it's a joy to have a car that puts you back in touch with it. Makes you feel part of the machine and the environment.

Thank you to the people that sat around a table and dared to dream this one up.
sharkcohen, CDPond, Mike34 and 3 others like this.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT, Tri-Coat Pearl white, Red/Black leather
Stubby antenna
TRD kit
GFB DV+
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
ahhh yes the exhaust notes...silly me how could I forget.

As @Chainringtattoo said...if you asking...you won't be satisfied with the factory sounds...forgo the OPTION and upgrade it to WHAT YOU want. (save some money that way too)

aloha mike
CXXIV and jetlag like this.

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page