iphone Nav Question - Fiat 124 Spider Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
iphone Nav Question

I rarely use the nav that came in my 2017 Lusso. I just use my iphone maps feature. When using the iphone in the Lusso I don't get any voice commands. I assume this is because my phone is connected to the car and something cancels out the voice. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or if I can do something to get voice on the phone? Thanks in advance.

Bill B.

124 Lusso, 1965 Corvette, 1968 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
I rarely use the nav that came in my 2017 Lusso. I just use my iphone maps feature. When using the iphone in the Lusso I don't get any voice commands. I assume this is because my phone is connected to the car and something cancels out the voice. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or if I can do something to get voice on the phone? Thanks in advance.

Bill B.
The iPhone won't trigger from the voice button, only the button on the iPhone or - "Hey Siri". UNLESS you make a few changes. Check out this thread:

https://www.124spider.org/forum/26-e...unning-14.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 PM

Perhaps you are talking about the turn by turn voice prompts from the iphone through the Spider's speakers?

If that is the case, there are two ways to get voice, but both depend on Bluetooth being paired first of all.

1st method: If you are using the audio source of your Spider's radio, Pandora, USB or Sirius while in Apple Maps and after a destination has been entered, on the iPhone scroll up from the bottom menu and click voice, then ensure HFP prompts are enabled. Apple Maps will interrupt those sources as if a phone call was coming through, so the clarity will not be as great as HiFi Bluetooth below, and there may be a bit of lag.

2nd method: If you are playing music from your iPhone, and thus have selected its paired Bluetooth as your Spider's audio source, there should not be anything else to do. This is how I use Apple maps most of the time.

If you rather not have any audio playing, just choose your Spider audio source to be your iPhone's paired Bluetooth anyway, play one song if it does not immediately activate, then cancel the song.

See also:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204242

Last edited by melandat; 01-31-2019 at 11:42 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melandat View Post
Perhaps you are talking about the turn by turn voice prompts from the iphone through the Spider's speakers?

If that is the case, there are two ways to get voice, but both depend on Bluetooth being paired first of all.

1st method: If you are using the audio source of your Spider's radio, Pandora, USB or Sirius while in Apple Maps and after a destination has been entered, on the iPhone scroll up from the bottom menu and click voice, then ensure HFP prompts are enabled. Apple Maps will interrupt those sources as if a phone call was coming through, so the clarity will not be as great as HiFi Bluetooth below, and there may be a bit of lag.

2nd method: If you are playing music from your iPhone, and thus have selected its paired Bluetooth as your Spider's audio source, there should not be anything else to do. This is how I use Apple maps most of the time.

If you rather not have any audio playing, just choose your Spider audio source to be your iPhone's paired Bluetooth anyway, play one song if it does not immediately activate, then cancel the song.

See also:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204242
Thank you Linefeed and Melandat, I'll give it a try. I love the great support on this forum.

124 Lusso, 1965 Corvette, 1968 Chevelle SS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
By the way, if you're using Apple Maps for navigation, there's an additional "Audio" menu that you can bring up from the bottom of the screen that allows you to select here you want the voice prompts sent. I usually switch it so they stream to my hearing aids, but it defaults to the dock connector when you plug it into the car.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:12 AM

@linefeed you bring up a good point.

I never use the built-in USB ports. The rules shift as to what happens with the Fiat Audio input and
device when you plug in the iPhone or an Android in the built-in ports.

Once, I connected an Android to the built-in port and it went into MTP mode then
the Fiat Audio mode switched to USB and voicemails started playing.

Since then, I plugged in a dual-port, fast charge 12v USB adapter under the passenger side dash for
powering phones. It allows for more predictability without additional fiddling for how I use my phone.
In addition, I want to select Fiat Audio inputs only through the menu, not when I just need juice for my
or a passenger's phone.

Last edited by melandat; 02-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page