Microphone sucks? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Microphone sucks?

My microphone quality in my 124 sucks. Maybe this is a warranty issue, maybe it just sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cant seem to turn the mic off.

Starting to get tempted to connect my phone to a bluetooth to audio module and then connect that to an audio to bluetooth module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 AM

Garage
Gremlins exist (IMHO). Whenever I attempt to use voice actuated controls, it seems like a battle for me (and that's with the top up). Call quality seems to be okay once I get it to connect. But it does weird things. This is slightly off topic but related. I attempted to set up the Infotainment system to display my text messages from my phone. That never did seem to work, but the worst part of it is that now only 1 USB port will work at any given time. They both function, but whichever one get a fob plugged into it first will work, and the second one just shows greyed out in the input selector screen.

To kill the microphone, you can try saying "cancel" while it's in recognition mode, and in theory that disables it until the next time you use it.

If you look in the Fiat Connect 7.0 User Guide, on page 35 it starts a couple of pages that talks about this topic a bit. Hopefully that can help you figure out what's going on. Like other parts of our manuals, this too is vague in language at points. It says not to yell at the system, or talk too slowly to it. In frustration, I can honestly admit to not only yelling at it, but cursing at it. Maybe it got offended and buggered up my USB port for revenge.

Here's a link to the .pdf of the manual: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/ma...imedia-1st.pdf

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
If you are talking about call quality, I've talked with the top down at speeds and the person on the other side can understand me clearly. I can't help you with voice commands, I haven't used them yet.
Rob Sunde likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescence View Post
My microphone quality in my 124 sucks. Maybe this is a warranty issue, maybe it just sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cant seem to turn the mic off.

Starting to get tempted to connect my phone to a bluetooth to audio module and then connect that to an audio to bluetooth module.
Not sure what you mean by "can't turn the mic off?" You were having problems with the automatic climate control also? They're both in the same area of the dash - maybe something is wonky in there?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Call quality is bad and I can't make it use the Mic on my phone.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescence View Post
Call quality is bad and I can't make it use the Mic on my phone.
Yeah. That's a problem. I wear hearing aids and every time the phone rings when I'm in the car the phone, car and hearing aids fight over who does what.

For what it's worth - after I put the CarPlay mod in, it works really well. I know that's not an answer to your problem, but... At least you're not alone.

On my old car, there was a "mute" button for the mic when you were driving and on the phone. Fiat didn't think we'd need that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linefeed View Post
Yeah. That's a problem. I wear hearing aids and every time the phone rings when I'm in the car the phone, car and hearing aids fight over who does what.

For what it's worth - after I put the CarPlay mod in, it works really well. I know that's not an answer to your problem, but... At least you're not alone.

On my old car, there was a "mute" button for the mic when you were driving and on the phone. Fiat didn't think we'd need that.
As I mentioned previously, when the mic is active and accepting voice commands, you can say "cancel", and it's supposed to shut off till you activate it again. Something worth trying. Also, if you look at the section in the manual that speaks about this (link provided previously), there are some trouble shooting tips. And their last tip is that if it's buggered to take it to your dealer for service or replacement.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 PM

It has voice commands!!?!

Having said that, seems to have had no problems picking up txts from either Apple or Android phones I have... also voice calls the person on the other end never seems to complain.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrs View Post
It has voice commands!!?!

Having said that, seems to have had no problems picking up txts from either Apple or Android phones I have... also voice calls the person on the other end never seems to complain.
Why do I get the feeling I'm one of the few people that actually reads my owner's manual? lol

Yeah, it has voice commands. Limited and vague in description, but they're there, if you can get them to work consistently.
trevrs likes this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Voice works OK for me. When using voice, remember to speak in a "normal" manner at a normal pace. Don't try to speak like a robot !

ARTHUR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page