DRL - which are they? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
DRL - which are they?

I'm trying to work out which lights are the Daytime Running Lights on cars with the standard halogen set-up. As far as I can tell, I don't have anything lighting up, however, as I understand it, the DRL's are only active when the cars moving. I left early this morning for a drive - before dawn - and my experiments with the light switches in various positions would suggest I didn't have any DRL's. I checked in the car settings and DRL is enabled.

So, with the lights being operated manually, I have the following:

Side Lights:

Main Beam:

Full / High Beam:

So which should be illuminated for the DRL's? If it's just the side lights, that would make sense because the amount of light being output by them is pretty meager. But if it's either the main beams or full beams, it would seem I have a problem somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2565.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	69182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	69184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2567.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	69186  

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45

Last edited by 68wooley; 04-07-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
They come on in gear with the parking brake off. I can see them on in the reflection of a car in front of me, even at a stop light. I think they come out of the high beam reflector, but dimmer than the high beam.

Yes, the high beam doubles as the DRLs:

https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wor...m/specs/#bulbs

I always have my headlights switched to “auto”, maybe that’s a requirement for the DRLs to come on. Obviously they have to be enabled in the settings, too.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK

Last edited by sharkcohen; 04-07-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post
They come on in gear with the parking brake off. I can see them on in the reflection of a car in front of me, even at a stop light. I think they come out of the high beam reflector, but dimmer than the high beam.

Yes, the high beam doubles as the DRLs:

https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wor...m/specs/#bulbs

I always have my headlights switched to “auto”, maybe that’s a requirement for the DRLs to come on. Obviously they have to be enabled in the settings, too.
Hmm - wonder if they run lower power for the DLRs if they are using the full beams. Or if the 'auto' light sensor switches them off after dark (to prevent you running round with your full beams on by accident). Need to do some more experimentation.

Of course, the led bulbs I stuck in there yesterday could also be the issue....
sharkcohen likes this.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Yes, in the standard halogen lighting configuration, the same bulb fulfills the mission of both high beam and daytime running lights.
pikeman likes this.

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDPond View Post
Yes, in the standard halogen lighting configuration, the same bulb fulfills the mission of both high beam and daytime running lights.
Yeah - don’t think LEDs are going to work in there. Oh well.
zonker likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
DLR's ... the 124 is the only car I know of that has tail and registration lights on with the DRL's !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
(and they go off when you come to a stop and pull up the handbrake, and go an again once you start moving)

Driving FIATs since 1978
1985½ Pininfarina SpiderEuropa & 1996 Fiat Coupe 20v turbo & 2000 Pearl White Plus
2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶F̶i̶a̶t̶ ̶1̶2̶4̶ ̶S̶p̶i̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶A̶n̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶U̶K̶ ̶#̶6̶2̶ 2017 Italia Blue Lusso Plus
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:11 PM

the drl on my toyota singed the plastic lens, probably while the vehicle was stationary, so perhaps that's what mazda had in mind.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:43 AM

Most setups that i have seen that use the high beams as the DRL's run the bulbs at a lower voltage so they don't contribute to an early burnout of the high beams. In fact a number of manufactures actually run the two high beam bulbs in series when being used as DRL's thereby only sending 6 volts to each bulb. A normal halogen filament bulb will work with this setup. An LED bulb would probably not work.
sharkcohen and motojo like this.

17 Abarth, manual, luxury group, Rosso Red. Progress Springs, EC V4 intake and Intercooler, DV+ diverter valve, TR Motorsports FF10 wheels, Pirelli Pzero+ 215/45/17, GWR full Abarth Exhaust, Wilwood BBK, Redline Goods shifter and E-brake boot
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I ordered set of Philips X-Treme Vision halogens for the full beams / DRLs - think that's as good as its going to get unless you are happy to live without DRLs (which you might be).

Not a big deal - the LEDs for the dipped beams, fogs and side lights all look pretty good. Wonder if I'll be able to get the double sided tape off the LED control unit enough to be able to return them. $80 mistake if I can't :-/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page