Okay, here's the first kick at the can for an itinerary. Some food for thought...
It's based on everyone meeting and starting in Calgary, and ending up in Edmonton after two fairly long days. That makes for a pretty tight and somewhat rushed schedule.
And, for those of you who haven't been to Alberta before, both Edmonton and Calgary have lots of things to see and do, and if you're coming from the US, you'll get good value for your dollars!
If people think they can allow for three days, I can make each day a bit easier, with more time for activities and photos along the way. I'd like to do that to make the time more enjoyable for everyone, so let me know if a 3 day road trip would be acceptable. Also, on the final day, the drive to Edmonton from Jasper is not very exciting after the first couple of hours as the scenery and "things to do" aspect if somewhat limited. So for folks not wanting to make the loop, they could choose to break from the group and drive back to Calgary using the reverse route that they used to get to Jasper.
If people can do the 3 day version, we could overnight in both Lake Louise and Jasper. I'm also suggesting fuel stops as the options are pretty limited once you leave Lake Louise. I'll also do a rough price estimate once I get feedback from you folks.
Here are the activities and photo ops I'd like to include if we can do the 3 day version:
- Dead Man's Flats - quick photo stop and chance to stretch your legs
- Two Jack Lake - scenic drive, and maybe an encounter with the salt licking mountain goats lol
- Banff Springs Hotel https://www.banffadventures.com/Plac...-Springs-Hotel
- Banff Springs Gondola to Sulphur Mountain http://banffandbeyond.com/banff-gondola/
- Banff Cave and Basin (maybe)
- Lake Louise
- Chateau Lake Louise (lunch)
- Chateau Lake Louise photo op https://www.banfflakelouise.com/acco...au-lake-louise
- Lake Louise photo op (wonderful colours, and glacier fingers coming through the mountain pass in the background)
- Group dinner?
- Accommodations: I'm not going to suggest we stay at the Chateau Lake Louise. Yes, it's beautiful, but it's also around $500+ CAD per night. For those that want to have the experience, go for it, but there are also much more reasonable alternatives, and lake Louise is a pretty small place.
- Fuel up before heading on
- Meet for breakfast? We'll muster somewhere to continue on our journey
- Columbia Icefields https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/lis...y-centre-2001/
- Ice Crawler tour (drive on top of the glacier)
- Glacier Skywalk
- Jasper National Park https://www.jasper.travel/
- Jasper Sky Tram and photo ops https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...k_Alberta.html
- Evening wildlife tour (optional) https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...k_Alberta.html
- Check into hotel, group dinner?
- Fuel up
- Group breakfast?
- On to Edmonton, or back to Calgary via Icefield Parkway (reverse route the same way you came)