• 1 Post By 68wooley
  • 1 Post By jpwfz6
  • 1 Post By whereof_thereof
  • 1 Post By What'sHisName?
  • 2 Post By CDPond

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
2019 Calgary to Jasper via Icefield Parkway?

I think it would be a hoot to get a cluster (clutter?) of Spiders together for a weekend run up the Icefield Parkway, starting out in Calgary, and ending in either Jasper or Edmonton. Aside from the basic drive, it could also include some stops along the way... icefield crawler trip, the raised glass/plexy walkway, gondola ride in Jasper, etc. If it were a full weekend, the overnight could be planned for Jasper.

If anyone is interested in this, reply here. I'm thinking sometime around August would be good. Lots of sun, and it would make for a marvelous drive through the mountains. If enough people reply, then I'll start to organize something officially to get it rolling.

Now how cool would that be... a little convoy of Spiders frolicking in the mountains... :-)

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Garage
It's a long shot (daddy duties and parents visiting from Scotland in August), but I'd love to come up from Denver for this.
CDPond likes this.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:06 AM

As long as we could avoid the first weekend in August, then I would make my best attempt to do this.
Got some friends in Calgary that I owe a visit too as well, so I could kill two birds. win-win.
CDPond likes this.

17 Abarth, manual, luxury group, Rosso Red. Progress Springs, EC V4 intake and Intercooler, DV+ diverter valve, TR Motorsports FF10 wheels, Pirelli Pzero+ 215/45/17, GWR full Abarth Exhaust, Wilwood BBK, Redline Goods shifter and E-brake boot
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 AM

I'm interested! These meets are often a little out of my ordinary range, but Calgary is only (if I remember right) 7 or so hours from Spokane. I'll keep an eye on this thread...
CDPond likes this.

2018 Abarth 124 Spider -- 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 AM

Definitely interested! Anytime in August would work great!
CDPond likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
bump...

Looking for more participants. I've spoken to another Calgary Spider owner and he's interested as well. I'd love to see a six pack of these babies winding through the Icefield Parkway.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:34 AM

I will be in the Kootenays for a spell over the summer so its a possibility I could make it. I believe it takes about 8 hours to make the drive from Nelson to Calgary. I might have to meet you in the mountains depending on my route out there.

The first couple weeks of August is usually family time at the lake however I will keep an eye on your posts and if it works for me I would love to join you. Thanks for the offer to organize the road trip!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolla View Post
I will be in the Kootenays for a spell over the summer so its a possibility I could make it. I believe it takes about 8 hours to make the drive from Nelson to Calgary. I might have to meet you in the mountains depending on my route out there.

The first couple weeks of August is usually family time at the lake however I will keep an eye on your posts and if it works for me I would love to join you. Thanks for the offer to organize the road trip!
It's looking like the latter part of August is the sweet spot for most folks that have replied so far.

If you end up continuing on Hwy. 1 from Golden, and up past field, we could link up in Lake Louise. That may be a fuel stop for us anyway, and a visit to the Chateau and Lake Louise itself would be in order anyway. The hotel is getting kind of crappy with their parking control now, but if we have a group, my thought was to try to arrange lunch in the Chateau and that would get us access to their restricted parking space. The general parking outside the hotel property is a gong show, and I want to avoid that if any way possible.
jpwfz6 and What'sHisName? like this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Okay, here's the first kick at the can for an itinerary. Some food for thought...

It's based on everyone meeting and starting in Calgary, and ending up in Edmonton after two fairly long days. That makes for a pretty tight and somewhat rushed schedule.

And, for those of you who haven't been to Alberta before, both Edmonton and Calgary have lots of things to see and do, and if you're coming from the US, you'll get good value for your dollars!

If people think they can allow for three days, I can make each day a bit easier, with more time for activities and photos along the way. I'd like to do that to make the time more enjoyable for everyone, so let me know if a 3 day road trip would be acceptable. Also, on the final day, the drive to Edmonton from Jasper is not very exciting after the first couple of hours as the scenery and "things to do" aspect if somewhat limited. So for folks not wanting to make the loop, they could choose to break from the group and drive back to Calgary using the reverse route that they used to get to Jasper.

If people can do the 3 day version, we could overnight in both Lake Louise and Jasper. I'm also suggesting fuel stops as the options are pretty limited once you leave Lake Louise. I'll also do a rough price estimate once I get feedback from you folks.

Here are the activities and photo ops I'd like to include if we can do the 3 day version:
Day 1:
- Dead Man's Flats - quick photo stop and chance to stretch your legs
- Two Jack Lake - scenic drive, and maybe an encounter with the salt licking mountain goats lol
- Banff
- Banff Springs Hotel https://www.banffadventures.com/Plac...-Springs-Hotel
- Banff Springs Gondola to Sulphur Mountain http://banffandbeyond.com/banff-gondola/
- Banff Cave and Basin (maybe)
- Lake Louise
- Chateau Lake Louise (lunch)
- Chateau Lake Louise photo op https://www.banfflakelouise.com/acco...au-lake-louise
- Lake Louise photo op (wonderful colours, and glacier fingers coming through the mountain pass in the background)
- Group dinner?
- Accommodations: I'm not going to suggest we stay at the Chateau Lake Louise. Yes, it's beautiful, but it's also around $500+ CAD per night. For those that want to have the experience, go for it, but there are also much more reasonable alternatives, and lake Louise is a pretty small place.
- Fuel up before heading on
Day 2:
- Meet for breakfast? We'll muster somewhere to continue on our journey
- Columbia Icefields https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/lis...y-centre-2001/
- Ice Crawler tour (drive on top of the glacier)
- Glacier Skywalk
- Jasper National Park https://www.jasper.travel/
- Lunch
- Jasper Sky Tram and photo ops https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...k_Alberta.html
- Evening wildlife tour (optional) https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...k_Alberta.html
- Check into hotel, group dinner?
Day 3:
- Fuel up
- Group breakfast?
- On to Edmonton, or back to Calgary via Icefield Parkway (reverse route the same way you came)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 124 Spider Cluster in the Icefield Parkway.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	68706  

Last edited by CDPond; 03-23-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page