California Assembly Bill AB 1824 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 63Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
California Assembly Bill AB 1824

Many of you have probably seen details of this new exhaust law floating around the internet. As of January 1, 2019, California has has a new law on exhausts that would affect many of us with aftermarket exhausts. Prior to this law, you could get a fix-it ticket for loud exhausts over 95 decibels. With this new one, there is no fix-it, you get a $1000 fine no questions asked PLUS you might get sent to the BAR depending on the officer. Keep in mind this is not due to breaking any emission laws or having any cat deletes but purely noise. I agree having obnoxiously loud exhausts are annoying, but a $1000 fine plus a trip to the BAR is a little too much. Keep in mind the BAR would also get you for things such as non-CARB approved air intakes, oil catch cans....pretty much any aftermarket modification even if it has nothing to do with vehicle safety or pollution.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

Take a look at this video where the officer explains why this is happening

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-ca...n-correctable/

For all fellow car enthusiasts in California, here is a link for the petition

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM

What's the law for cars not registered in California and just passing through?

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
So because of street racing related accidents and fatalities, they've effectively banned after-market exhausts? Its not a money grab at all - nope, not at all because no-one will go street racing with just a stock exhaust right?

When are they banning bars to deal with all the DUI deaths?

Sometimes I miss living in California. Things like this help me get over it.
Greg, Seth, wolf18t and 5 others like this.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM

I'll have more clarity on this situation on Friday, but a first point should be that the California legal limit is 95 dB. Pretty much every 124 aftermarket exhaust is below that limit.
GuidoVeloce and jetlag like this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionZoo View Post
I'll have more clarity on this situation on Friday, but a first point should be that the California legal limit is 95 dB. Pretty much every 124 aftermarket exhaust is below that limit.
Yah I'm not too concerned. I also don't think police will be targeting cars like the 124.
jetlag likes this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM

I'm just about to order a full Goodwin exhaust. This new bill does not change my plans at all. It's a lot of hand wringing over something that will have not a lot of practical effect.
Mike34 and jetlag like this.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionZoo View Post
I'm just about to order a full Goodwin exhaust. This new bill does not change my plans at all. It's a lot of hand wringing over something that will have not a lot of practical effect.
The full GWR SportCat back exhaust is under 95 dB to qualify for track regs.

I think I’ll forgo pops and bangs in the better interest of the citizens of California.

Dan
sharkcohen and Destructo like this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by depotdan View Post
The full GWR SportCat back exhaust is under 95 dB to qualify for track regs.

I think I’ll forgo pops and bangs in the better interest of the citizens of California.

Dan
Just to note, that’s with the resonator.

Dan, I’m running the pops and bangs with my SportCat back with the resonator, and it actually sounds quite good, no loud pops, lots of great sounding burbling. The resonator really mellows out the pops and bangs.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
What's the law for cars not registered in California and just passing through?
You'd still get nailed. Law is the law if you're in the jurisdiction of the law.

-Travis
DM Racing USA
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyeme Racing View Post
You'd still get nailed. Law is the law if you're in the jurisdiction of the law.
Well. Someone lacks a sense of humor.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | Öhlins FPSpëc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page