Ethanol-free gasoline...worth it? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 30Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ethanol-free gasoline...worth it?

The subject pretty much says it all. Do any of you use ethanol-free gasoline in your cars? I can get it in my area, but only at a few locations and none of them are particularly convenient. Is it beneficial enough that I should make the extra effort to get it as opposed to premium (91+) 10% ethanol gas?

"Pearl" 2017 124 Spider Abarth AT Bianco Perla; AA/CarPlay; AIO tweaks; Eurospec Abarth Engine Cover, Red Bits & Side Badges; Eurospec "Officine Abarth" Floor Mat Badges; Bright Dead Pedal; Destructo/Murat Abarth Steering Wheel Badge v.2; Record Monza Exhaust; Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston Big Brake Kit; Cravenspeed Red Door Bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM
JPL

I only use it in my 78 Ferrari as it runs better with the carbs. Cars back then were not built to use ethanol. As to my 124...no way...too expensive and just not needed. I also do not us 91, 89 does a fine job JP
AnClar and CXXIV like this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM

The only benefit you'll get from burning non-ethanol gasoline is about 3% better gas mileage. It's just fuel. It gets burned to make power.

Cars and their fuel systems have been designed around the assumption that the fuel will contain some ethanol for about 40 years. There's nothing there that the ethanol could damage.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 PM

I am, nothing but ethanol free. And I cannot give you a single objective, rational reason why. Just makes the car feel something extra special to me, I guess.

That, and growing corn to make a gasoline additive is a net loss proposition. So maybe I'm doing my immeasurable part to spite the ethanol industry.

Steve.
Rivsy124 and Snow124 like this.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Garage
Not if it means lower octane.
motojo, melandat, jetlag and 1 others like this.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM

It’s easy to find around here at 93 and 94 octane.
I use it because I hate the idea of using corn to feed cars.
Not to mention it f*cks up my motorcycles.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 AM

Garage
I’d fill the car up with it if I was planning to store it for any length of time. Otherwise, no.
sharkcohen and CXXIV like this.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyiní Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jetlag Send a message via MSN to jetlag Send a message via Yahoo to jetlag
I use it to run the weed eaters, trimmers, edgers, blowers and all the small 2 and 4 cycle equipment around the farm. It is only 89 Octane in NC, so the spider gets high test which id 93 octane around here. Oh, and the boat gets non ethanol as well. Yamaha prefers it that way
sharkcohen and CXXIV like this.

2018 Abarth, MT, Euro Compulsion Inter-Cooler, Euro Compulsion V4 intake, Catch Can, GFB DV+, Euro Compulsion Phase I, II, PTP Turbo Blanket, Cusco Front brace bar, Record Monza Exhaust, soundproofing tiles
2015 Dodge Ram Laramie Eco Diesel
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM

A non-techy article on various plants used for fuel. As soon as we leave corn and move to switchgrass for ethanol, I'll reconsider.
https://interestingengineering.com/s...uel-production

"This plant has the greatest potential to cure our addiction to the use of fossil fuels. Unlike corn, switchgrass has a form of cellulose that uses less energy to convert to ethanol than from processing fossil fuels. Switchgrass's cellulose ethanol contains more energy than corn ethanol. Although there are not currently large plantations of this crop scientists are currently working on methods to exploit this plant in the future.

Researchers at the Auburn University in Alabama have grown test plots of the plant to produce 15 tonnes of biomass per acre. It is believed that each acre of the crop will allow for the production of 4,350 liters of ethanol, every day!"

Steve.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 AM

Garage
Doesn’t ethanol effectively increase octane rating?

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in