Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Opinions on aFe BladeRunner GT Turbo

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fireblade908 
#1 ·
Hey All, have any of you seen the aFe BladeRunner GT Series Turbo upgrade for our cars? I know guys are in the works building stuffed turbos, but it looks like the aFe direct drop-in is just a Billet upgraded version of our current turbo. No larger compressor or anything, but it is a lighter billet wheel. I would assume that would mean quicker spool and slightly better top end. Not sure if it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Going to run it by my co-driver/tuner to see what he thinks. Seems like an interesting upgrade considering it's not that expensive (would eliminate the need to spend ~$250 on a Forge Motorsports wastegate). So realistically under $800 for a slight upgrade to the turbo? Or do you think it's just a waste and I should wait until real stuffed turbos come out soon?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-46-60212-bladerunner-gt-series-turbocharger

#7 ·
Correct. I believe this is just stock specs with a lighter Billit wheel. Not a stuffed turbo. If it helps with spool, this could be a better turbo specifically for parking lot racing. That said, $1000 is not that cheap of an upgrade for what I would assume a downpipe/crosspipe will do even better.

Just kicking around ideas for different turbos. I personally don't love the look of the stuffed turbos yet. And the 1752 seems like it's just going to kill the spool too much for me to enjoy. I'd like to keep a basically stock spool with a little more power. That's why I was thinking about the aFe turbo on E85. I feel like that may be interesting.

#10 ·
Hi, Turbo Technics offer a drop in turbo manufactured by themselves, below are their answers to my questions regarding first for a hybrid and secondly for their turbo.

1.We don’t offer a our hybrid for that car at the moment as a complete kit, - there is too many restrictions with the compressor cover with the recirc valve fitting, from putting worthwhile larger components in, with a good profile and air flow capabilities – in short, standard fit compressor housings are no good to upgrade.
2. The turbo itself on our car and other customers cars currently do 260 bhp – the turbo itself should flow up to 300 bhp.

Our car is now forged and going back for mapping to see what will break, - the engine is the weak point after 260 bhp on 500z – hence the forging.

The turbo itself is £900+VAT – the fitting kit is normally £290+VAT but a reduced kit will be more like £100+VAT – basically the oil feed and return pipes

All bespoke

All our design

All our own housings and castings Etc.

I know someone who is currently about to have this fitted, so I will be following his progress and pass on anything that I learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.