Columbo & Bariani camshaft - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Columbo & Bariani camshaft

Hello,
I just bought the upgraded camshaft, but I haven't seen any specific thread on it.

Anybody has installed it yet? Dyno results? Advantages/disadvantages?!?

Moreover is there a specific map to optimise it? Or anybody had any issues using some flashes in conjunction with it?

Thanks Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9029.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	68814  
doverosx, jopo, klikai and 2 others like this.

124 Anniversary -
Engine: Go pedal, DV+ with Forge Atmospheric BOV, EC V1 Kit + k&N filter, 4C Ignition Coil pack with BRISK Sparks, PTP Lava Thermal Blanket, EC Catch CAN.
Exhaust: Ragazzon 4 tipper + Ragazzon unresonated midpipe (60mm) + GWR crosspipe
Handling: Bilstein B8 + Eibach pro kit, Eibach front and rear Sway bars, Abarth anti-roll bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
@pattbone
No one has installed it on the forum yet so your treading new waters.
Did you get the cam install tool kit too?
Are you planning on doing the install your self?
Cant wait to hear your impressions. @Greg @[email protected]

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattbone View Post
Hello,
I just bought the upgraded camshaft, but I haven't seen any specific thread on it.

Anybody has installed it yet? Dyno results? Advantages/disadvantages?!?

Moreover is there a specific map to optimise it? Or anybody had any issues using some flashes in conjunction with it?

Thanks Patrick
Make sure you buy or have access to the specialty tools required for the installation.

Dan
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
I plan on a cam upgrade as well - except I am planning on aquiring a stock cam core and having a local reputable cam grinder set up a profile with me. As for what to expect, I would imagine it's going to move the rev band higher and help to make the power band a bit more peakier. Expect a meaner exhaust note as well.

And with that being said... if you want to sell your old camshaft after the installation, I would be happy to buy it

2017 124 Spider Classica MT
GWR Dual Tip Exhaust
EC V1 intake w/ modified stock airbox and AFE filter
GFB DV+
MPX 20% Underdrive crank pulley
"Halfweight" battery and tray
Abarth Bilstein struts
Progress Springs
MR front strut bar
MR 15mm rear sway bar
17x8 Ferrar Design wheels
215/45-17 Federal 595RS-R tires
Abarth Brembo brakes

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:50 PM

I seem to remember a post from someone here that had the cam. He never did speak about it and seems to have disappeared. I've read a few posts in the 500 forum about the cam upgrade but didn't see any evidence that it was worth the expense and hassle. I look forward to hearing about your results. I hope you do some before/after dyno testing to get some real data.
sharkcohen, jopo and Phillip33 like this.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
I seem to remember a post from someone here that had the cam. He never did speak about it and seems to have disappeared. I've read a few posts in the 500 forum about the cam upgrade but didn't see any evidence that it was worth the expense and hassle. I look forward to hearing about your results. I hope you do some before/after dyno testing to get some real data.
Come to think of it wasnt it Junior with the early EC turbo release that had it?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip33 View Post
Come to think of it wasnt it Junior with the early EC turbo release that had it?
That might have been it. I wonder how he is getting on with the big turbo?

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainringtattoo View Post
That might have been it. I wonder how he is getting on with the big turbo?
Dont know.
I think I scared him away.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK Guys,
Happy to see a bunch of feedbacks on my thread,
I'll give it a try to answer all of your questions/curiosities..

First of all, YES next week I'm going to install it myself and YES I had to get all of the special tools ($150 timing tool - $100 crankshaft - eBay)

(BTW they are both necessary, cause the even crankshaft tool, which I thought of just being "nice to have" actually it's a must when you need to hold still the timing pulley IOT tighten the lug which holds the pulley connected to the camshaft (80-100 ft/lbs )

I'll try be as "scientific" as possible in my testings (please pass me the word I'm just a private enthusiast),
by that i mean:
I did dyno my car one week ago on a 4WD dyno;
After I change camshaft i'll repeat the test on the very same dyno (without changing any map or anything else).

Hopefully I should see some improvement as It is..
Some seller claims (outside the US) an increase of 25-30 hp with no map, up to 235hp with a simple stage 2 and up to 280 hp with a stuffed turbo.
This brings me to another point..

Maps..
As far as I know the only vendor which did develop specific maps for this camshaft is EC and you can read it on their site:

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/colle...00l-dodge-dart

https://www.124spider.org/forum/10-e...coming-ec.html

Camshaft:
I bought the Columbo & Bariani which is the one sold by EC (even tough being sold-out forced me to get it directly from the factory where the owner, which I talked to, claims about selling over a 100 worldwide for 124 Spider and several hundreds for different Multiair applications).
As far as I know there's another vendor (TMC) selling a specific 124 "upgraded camshaft" even if he never stated the original manufacturer.
I do remember reading somewhere on the forum a post by Greg in which he was very upset with TMC for using EC original pictures of the C&B camshaft for promoting their camshaft product (which ultimately brings me to believe that at the end C&B is the only manufacturer..)

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/product/7753

This is a sum up off all of the info's I gathered on the subject.. please feel free to add or correct me if I'm wrong..
I hope Greg will join the conversation soon IOT provide real professional testing feedbacks and tells us if a specific map is still available.

Thanks Patrick

Ps: Zonker I'm available to sell my OEM camshaft given a minimum "break in" period with the new one..
motojo likes this.

124 Anniversary -
Engine: Go pedal, DV+ with Forge Atmospheric BOV, EC V1 Kit + k&N filter, 4C Ignition Coil pack with BRISK Sparks, PTP Lava Thermal Blanket, EC Catch CAN.
Exhaust: Ragazzon 4 tipper + Ragazzon unresonated midpipe (60mm) + GWR crosspipe
Handling: Bilstein B8 + Eibach pro kit, Eibach front and rear Sway bars, Abarth anti-roll bar.

Last edited by pattbone; 03-27-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Multiair tuning and development makes 3 types of camshafts, they are located in Greece.
Deyeme Racing and Phillip33 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page