Manual 124 Owners be aware... - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Manual 124 Owners be aware...

Relax, nothing important

Just a recommendation of transmission fluid

I see a lot of people are using the Amsoil Gear Lube like me too.

I have a better one, which works well with all the Miata transmissions for some reason

and everyone knows we have the NC manual transmission

The fluid is called:

Genuine Ford Fluid XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

and you can buy it here on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-.../dp/B000NUES82

Yup, it is a ford fluid but it works like magic.

Gears go in so much easier than Amsoil and OEM Fluid. especially noticeable in winter on cold startups

Last edited by RBH58; 01-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Relax, nothing important

Just a recommendation of transmission fluid

I see a lot of people are using the Amsoil Gear Lube like me too.

I have a better one, which works well with all the Miata transmissions for some reason

and everyone knows we have the NC manual transmission

The fluid is called:

Genuine Ford Fluid XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

and you can buy it here on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-.../dp/B000NUES82

Yup, it is a ford fluid but it works like magic.

Gears go in so much easier than Amsoil and OEM Fluid. especially noticeable in winter on cold startups
I used it in my old Mazdaspeed Miata and really liked it. Maybe after I'm done trying out the AMSOIL, I'll switch to that and see how it feels.

2017 Fiat 124 Abarth: Grigrio Argento Aluminum, 6MT, Luxury Package, Recaros
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynk26 View Post
I used it in my old Mazdaspeed Miata and really liked it. Maybe after I'm done trying out the AMSOIL, I'll switch to that and see how it feels.
The Amsoil is an improvement from OEM Fluid, but for some reason, it is harder to get in to reverse.

Ford MTF is much smoother in all gears
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Administrator

After using the AMSOIL fluid all year and just below freezing, your post confuses me a bit. My gear shifts always go in very smoothly. The stiffness the OE fluid had in reverse and downshifting into some gears was either reduced or eliminated. Once warmed, the shifting was perfectly consistent and perfectly smooth into each gear. Full disclosure, I don't drive in winter conditions with this car if I can help it. I have a winter vehicle, so sub-freezing shifting performance was not on my list of priorities.

Ford's XT-M5-QS is significantly thinner in viscosity with a cSt in the low 11.x range (AMSOIL's 75W-90 GL-4 is at 13.9 cSt at 100C by comparison). It's basically a synchromesh fluid like AMSOIL synchromesh, GM synchromesh, and Pennzoil synchromesh, all of would provide similar results. The problem with these fluids in my experience is that while they shift a bit smoother when very cold, they tend to get inconsistent and occasionally notchy when hot as they thin out. I chose the 75W-90 GL-4 to prevent the hot temperature inconsistency I've noticed switching between the two in another vehicle and comparing to the OE fluid in the 124 Spider.

For year-round shifting quality, a synchromesh fluid like Ford's option may be better, but it should be acknowledged that there is always a trade-off on manual transmission fluids. All oils thicken when cooled and thin when heated. The transmission is comfortable operating in a certain viscosity range, and once you get out of that range either by a thicker fluid being run too cold or a thinner fluid being run too hot, it starts to behave inconsistently.

Have you run this fluid hard at the 124 Spider's power levels in summer heat? How cold is it there now?
SubVette likes this.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 01-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
The Amsoil is an improvement from OEM Fluid, but for some reason, it is harder to get in to reverse.

Ford MTF is much smoother in all gears
It can be a bit stiff getting into reverse on a cold day, but IMO not as bad as the OE fluid was. That's the price you pay for a higher viscosity MTF. Again, it's a trade-off.

How long do you wait with your foot off the clutch at idle before backing up on a cold morning, and how cold is it there now?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Garage
Thanks for the BE AWARE...I saw this title and was worried! Perhaps a moderator can fix the subject title?

Good to know there are other fluids out there. I've been running the AMSOIL for almost a month now...even in Hawaii Wendi is a bit stiff in the first couple of shifts. (no issue with reverse) But once the blue light special goes out, she shifts just fine.

aloha @klikai

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM

Why the BEWARE ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatbreath View Post
Why the BEWARE ?
He actually wrote BE AWARE without the space.

Rick
"Sofia" - 2017 Rosso 124 Spider Abarth
eurocompulsion phase 1 tune | eurocompulsion v4 intake | eurocompulsion catch can | gfb dv+ | ptp turbo blanket | red vent kit | stubby antenna | GB shift knob
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM

Haha, ok , thanks, my bad.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfnsmn34 View Post
Thanks for the BE AWARE...I saw this title and was worried! Perhaps a moderator can fix the subject title?

Good to know there are other fluids out there. I've been running the AMSOIL for almost a month now...even in Hawaii Wendi is a bit stiff in the first couple of shifts. (no issue with reverse) But once the blue light special goes out, she shifts just fine.

aloha @klikai
Fixed

RBH58
Current rides: 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition & 2017 MX5 RF 2.0 GT Black Roof
Former rides: MY14 Subaru BRZ, MY11 Renaultsport Megane Cup, MY13 Alfa MiTo QV, MY08 Mazda MX5, MY08 Volvo C30 T5 R-Design, MY05 Alfa 147GTA, MY01 Audi TT 225 quattro, MY98 Honda Prelude SH ATTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page