Front Clip / Bumper Paint Color - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By King of Hyrule

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Front Clip / Bumper Paint Color

Hello All, Love this car, however, is it me / mine or does every FIAT Spider 124 have a slightly different front bumper paint color. Not sure about the picture upload, click on the picture and then double click and it should show correctly.
Thanks, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gray124.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	63992   Click image for larger version

Name:	spiderfront.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	63994   Click image for larger version

Name:	124.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	63996   Click image for larger version

Name:	gray124 spider.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	63998  

2017 Fiat Spider 124 Lusso
Premium Collection
Grigio Moda Meteor Gray
2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, Espresso (Brown), (sold)
2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, Verde Chiaro (Light Green) (sold)

Last edited by jfamondone123; 10-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM
HaZ

Garage
Yup, this is very common. The bumper is plastic and the fender/hood are aluminum. Paint shows up differently on different materials.

'17 Classica | Tork Stage 1 tune, EC V4 intake, intercooler, AutoRicambi exhaust w/custom tips, Forge BOV, Progress lowering springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K5R wheels
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 PM

If you watch a MX-5 vehicle assembly video, you'll notice that the front and rear bumpers (ALREADY PAINTED OFFSITE at the supplier's plant) are attached to the car, near the end of the line.

John, the difference seems pretty obvious on your car. It almost looks like your bumper didn't get clear coat as the shine doesn't match the metal. The way the Japanese quality inspector kneels in front of each car looking for defects with the bright overhead lights - I'm surprised it left the factory like that.

Last edited by ameridan; 10-20-2018 at 12:23 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies, I went to my free standing Fiat Studio today for a look around at some other colors for a difference, noticed that a 2018 Fiat Spider in White had almost a yellowish
front clip and an other Gray with the same difference as mine.
If you look from the front or the rear of the car the colors look close/the same it is only at a certain angle as in the picture that it looks really different.

2017 Fiat Spider 124 Lusso
Premium Collection
Grigio Moda Meteor Gray
2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, Espresso (Brown), (sold)
2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, Verde Chiaro (Light Green) (sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
Same with mine (pearl white). Only in certain light can you see the difference, but, unfortunately, once you notice it you can’t un-notice it.

124 Spider Abarth 2017, manual, tri-coat pearl white, luxury trim.
Stubby antenna, hood lift kit, heritage wrap, LED fog lights, Progress Technology springs and sway bars, LED trunk strip light, EC V4 intake, LED front and rear turn signals, LED front and rear marker lights, Rally Armor rear mud flaps, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Fiamm horns, EuroCompulsion (EC) Intercooler, EC P1 and P2 tune, PTP turbo blanket, Ampliform rims, CarPlay.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Garage
This isn't a cheap answer or even the one you might want. Getting it wrapped would give you a more consistent color over all.
ameridan and Calehedron like this.

King of Hyrule, Father of Zelda.
(aka Matthew)

Follow me as I raise my daughter, with only the spider as our daily driver on Instagram: GrowingUpFast808.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM

I just picked up a 2018 Abarth in Brillante White. When I got it home my wife asked me why the front bumper was a different color than the fenders and hood. I hadn't noticed it but now I can't un-see it. Separated you probably would not be able to see a difference but right next to each other you the paint on the fenders and hood almost looks creamy in comparison. What's strange is I don't see the contrast when comparing the rear bumper with the rear panels.

The build date of the car is 9/17 so my concern is the car sitting in the hot Florida sun for over a year would have caused the variation in color.

Do you think that could be a possibility or do you think they just come from the factory this way?

Cheers, Glenn
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:25 PM

Crazy! if this is true about the metal vs plastic color change WHY is it not in the rear, mine is only in the front the rear plastic matches PERFECT!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Same on my red Lusso. Red might be worst for this along with horrendous paint chips lol.

As others say it's the material difference. I play to get a bumper respray at some point see if the chips and colour can be sorted.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
That cannot possibly be true. The nose was probably repainted by the dealer due to damage in transit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page