Information on the AFE Turbo - Page 2 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 24Likes

post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:50 PM

Well, I REALLLY hope that Tork actually dynos the AFE turbo next week and has a tune for it. Tork is actually putting the built engine and a new Garrett G25-550 in Eddie's 124 right now and tuning it. I don't know if they have another 124 to test this turbo out on or if they will just try it on a A500.

My goals are 270 wheel horsepower with E85. The car weighs right around that with me in it, so I want to have a 10:1 weight-to-power ratio.
Rob Sunde likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicharger665 View Post
Well, I REALLLY hope that Tork actually dynos the AFE turbo next week and has a tune for it. Tork is actually putting the built engine and a new Garrett G25-550 in Eddie's 124 right now and tuning it. I don't know if they have another 124 to test this turbo out on or if they will just try it on a A500.

My goals are 270 wheel horsepower with E85. The car weighs right around that with me in it, so I want to have a 10:1 weight-to-power ratio.
Also I asked them about the G25-550, apparently exactly what I thought, too much cost, will also need a build engine to handle the extra hp.

Now with that target I think you should be looking at one of the camshafts from multiair tuning and development or EC
Rob Sunde likes this.

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Also I asked them about the G25-550, apparently exactly what I thought, too much cost, will also need a build engine to handle the extra hp.

Now with that target I think you should be looking at one of the camshafts from multiair tuning and development or EC
That G25-550 will probably suck outside of the drag strip too. That's a big turbo for a 1.4. I can't imagine full torque before 4000rpm. Now, if they could rig up an anti-lag system, then maybe I'd listen, but seeing as I do sort of daily this car, I'd probably have to avoid that.

I'm thinking aggressive tunes on stuffed turbos, or something with stock-ish spool will be the way to go. Honestly, if someone made a 1752 with upgraded Billet wheel & maybe more blades to get the spool back to stock, would be ideal. You'd get that top end power, and keep the spool where it is stock (with upgraded exhaust bits). I just think if you could make 275-300whp on this car without going with a much larger turbo, that would be amazing.

That said, there are barely any options for built internals still. I imagine with an overbore to 1.5L and a cam, you could justify running a larger turbo, but again, a v6 swap may just be easier, cheaper, and faster. If this aFe drop in turbo is worth something like 15-25whp, I can see doing it, but if it's like 100rpm better spool and 8whp, not worth $1000.

Right now my car is dyno'd at 185.5whp on stage 1 with just the DV+. If they get the stage 2 tune right, I imagine it'll be something like 205-215whp (with it falling harder over 6000RPM). Those numbers would include turbo back exhaust and intercooler as well. I think E85 is probably worth another 5-10whp, and should help the spool as well. I think all in, you're looking at maybe 225whp with a Tork Stage 2 on E85 with stock turbo. Maybe with the aFe, you could see something like 235-245whp with quicker spool. That would be interesting IMO. My other big question is, that over 230whp you may actually need to upgrade the intake on this car, but a lot of the tests on intakes were done to cars with the stock crosspipe, which we know is a HUGE limiting factor in the exhaust system. I'm wondering if an intake will actually help on these cars below 230-250whp if you have a full turbo back exhaust. I know my 98 Integra GSR picked up massive power by adding an Intake (12whp) because the exhaust wasn't being fully utilized by the stock airbox. So basically, we did the exhaust, picked up no extra power because the intake was now the limiting factor, then once we swapped it, we picked up over 12whp on the dyno.

Read those numbers however you'd like, obviously dyno numbers are a good reference, but numbers don't mean that much. Gains matter more than numbers on paper.

On a side note, I asked John about the stuffed turbo and he said they had to switch manufacturers, right now he's sort of talking more about the G25-550 turbo than the stuffed turbo. So honestly, I have a feeling that'll be a year or more out if it even happens. Odds are the aFe turbo will fill the gap between stock turbo & big turbo cars. If I could honestly get 250whp out of this car with stock spool, I would be thrilled. I'm still waiting for guys to test out the MA Springs on a dyno to test, I'm interested if they'll help, but not really willing to be a test mule either. Regardless, my car is getting started for the racing season now, and we'll put some hard miles on it for sure!
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Yeah, that G25-550 is WAY too big to have any fun on the street with. I have no interest in that.

What I would really like is to use is an EFR 6258. I found a much better flowing replacement exhaust manifold from a company called HRE in Europe that can be had in a T25 pattern. An 6258 with that better flowing exhaust manifold would make way more power than stock and might spool better than stock. The only problem is that the manifold is 999 euros and an EFR is about $2000. Then you would have to have a custom downpipe, crosspipe, and you would want to have a 3" exhaust also. That would probably end up being a $5000 solution after all the custom tuning, bigger injectors, and then you might blow the engine lol.

There are spacers made to mate a T25 pattern turbo to the stock exhaust manifold, but I don't know how well those would work out. You would still need at least a custom downpipe with that set-up.
Rob Sunde likes this.
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Peehler View Post
I'm thinking aggressive tunes on stuffed turbos, or something with stock-ish spool will be the way to go. Honestly, if someone made a 1752 with upgraded Billet wheel & maybe more blades to get the spool back to stock, would be ideal. You'd get that top end power, and keep the spool where it is stock (with upgraded exhaust bits). I just think if you could make 275-300whp on this car without going with a much larger turbo, that would be amazing.
Honestly, if I could get 250 whp with E85 out of a replacement turbo and keep all my already-purchased 2.5" exhaust components on the car, I would hit that easy button over my really expensive EFR idea.

I also have thought about a stuffed 1752 option, but the crappy part about that is that the 1752 at $1400+ is already too expensive for what it is, so I can't imagine a stuffed version coming in at less than $2000. I just couldn't spend $2000 on an ancient turbo like that, no matter how souped-up it is.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that G25-550 is WAY too big to have any fun on the street with. I have no interest in that.

What I would really like is to use is an EFR 6258. I found a much better flowing replacement exhaust manifold from a company called HRE in Europe that can be had in a T25 pattern. An 6258 with that better flowing exhaust manifold would make way more power than stock and might spool better than stock. The only problem is that the manifold is 999 euros and an EFR is about $2000. Then you would have to have a custom downpipe, crosspipe, and you would want to have a 3" exhaust also. That would probably end up being a $5000 solution after all the custom tuning, bigger injectors, and then you might blow the engine lol.

There are spacers made to mate a T25 pattern turbo to the stock exhaust manifold, but I don't know how well those would work out. You would still need at least a custom downpipe with that set-up.
Do you have a link to that manifold?
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 PM
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Thank you!
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM

Bad news, Rob. HRE has confirmed that the manifold I linked will NOT fit a 124.
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Bad news, Rob. HRE has confirmed that the manifold I linked will NOT fit a 124.
Honestly I will get the 1700s turbo from speedmotive if you are looking for a good turbo option

fits stock parts from 1446 but it is a 1700s turbo, they also said it is good for 275hp

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page