Information on the AFE Turbo - Page 6 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 24Likes

post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
I see.

I was watching an episode of Pistons & Petrol on YouTube and he started going off on EC.

Don't mean to start a bitchfest, but why so much hate of EC?
Itís honestly not worth discussing.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I see.

I was watching an episode of Pistons & Petrol on YouTube and he started going off on EC.

Sometimes people get too much into the Team Edward vs Team Jacob. Yes, it's a Twilight reference. And yes, it really is that childish. I've stumbled into it on occasion, but I try to keep my distance from the drama. Now, back to the subject

Those pics that show a larger opening in the turbo- don't be too impressed by that alone. Remember that the throttle body is still only about 46mm diameter. We have a solution for that, but I won't be testing it until I dig in for the IC and piping. And even after I've installed the bigger throttle body, the opening on the intake manifold is only about 50mm, so if you want bigger (if the head can even deal with the greater flow potential) you have to get creative with the intake manifold. I may have a solution for the manifold, too, but I need to come across a used one I can tear up, first.

Anyway, everywhere in the intake path is bottleneck after bottleneck. It's done for fuel economy, and because it's just a pretty small engine.
Aldo likes this.

-Travis
DM Racing USA
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I see.

Not hate.

But Suspicion.

Specially the 4WD dyno problem that nobody else have
they claim that the vehicle pulls power on a 4WD dyno where no one else has this issue

For ALL the tunes, there isn't a 3rd party media or person with accurate equipment at
an ideal condition (similar modification / sea level air)to test out the actual performance
increase or differences between different tune.

EC had the biggest dispute because the power level and trap times does not match the
claims. OFT has very little present in this game, and Tork has some trap speed information.

I don't want to start a fight, but this is what I observed as a customer.

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Quote:
I see.

Not hate.

But Suspicion.

Specially the 4WD dyno problem that nobody else have
they claim that the vehicle pulls power on a 4WD dyno where no one else has this issue

For ALL the tunes, there isn't a 3rd party media or person with accurate equipment at
an ideal condition (similar modification / sea level air)to test out the actual performance
increase or differences between different tune.

EC had the biggest dispute because the power level and trap times does not match the
claims. OFT has very little present in this game, and Tork has some trap speed information.

I don't want to start a fight, but this is what I observed as a customer.
I have literally compared both tunes same mods/same day/same conditions. Thanks though.
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverosx View Post
I have literally compared both tunes same mods/same day/same conditions. Thanks though.
I assume there was a thread. Can you please post a link? Thanks.
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I know you have

But I remember there being some dispute
so it wasn't exactly perfect.

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Quote:
I know you have

But I remember there being some dispute
so it wasn't exactly perfect.
No disputes that I know about, maybe some people that don’t like the results lol. The thread is on the brokenfiatclub.

As for waiting for perfect conditions...well, those will never happen. There is a wind tunnel with environmental controls and full CANBUS data logging that is $30,000/hour. I get the strangest feeling that with eeeeeevvvveeeennnn that, people will move the goal post even further.

That is particularly why I took a step back and saw that we’re in a situation where leak numbers don’t differentiate what I was feeling. The devil is in the details and just like in the audio world, you should buy what sounds good to the things glued to the sides of your head. Try it and buy it, that seemed to be the least partial conclusion I could come to.
Brett67 likes this.
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
No disputes that I know about, maybe some people that donít like the results lol. The thread is on the brokenfiatclub.

As for waiting for perfect conditions...well, those will never happen. There is a wind tunnel with environmental controls and full CANBUS data logging that is $30,000/hour. I get the strangest feeling that with eeeeeevvvveeeennnn that, people will move the goal post even further.

That is particularly why I took a step back and saw that weíre in a situation where leak numbers donít differentiate what I was feeling. The devil is in the details and just like in the audio world, you should buy what sounds good to the things glued to the sides of your head. Try it and buy it, that seemed to be the least partial conclusion I could come to.
You know I know

So You know where I'm going with this
doverosx likes this.

post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No disputes that I know about, maybe some people that donít like the results lol. The thread is on the brokenfiatclub.

That is particularly why I took a step back and saw that weíre in a situation where leak numbers donít differentiate what I was feeling. The devil is in the details and just like in the audio world, you should buy what sounds good to the things glued to the sides of your head. Try it and buy it, that seemed to be the least partial conclusion I could come to.

If you don't mind, would you shoot me the link in PM?

My understanding is that the stuffed turbo there is similar to the one Tork also had available. It's a ported 1446 with a 1752 wheel in it or something? I don't know the exact details, but John told me specifically, he didn't have too much luck making a lot of power on that turbo and that the aFe seemed to be better. No testing to back this claim, but that is what I've heard. Also EC's dyno results don't look that amazing for the Stage 3. Upgrading the turbo doesn't get much more power considering how much money the turbo upgrade is. It's ~20whp difference and the spool is definitely slower by several 100 RPMs according to their charts.

I see a 24.5 BHP gain over Phase 2 when going to a stuffed turbo, to me, that's not enough power to justify spending $1,600 for the turbo. That's the main reason why I'm not talking about that turbo in this thread, because it doesn't really seem to be that great IMO. There need to be better options available, and that turbo is a lot more expensive than the aFe turbo, and generates probably 20 or less whp over stock turbo.

Regarding Eddie hating EC, he has personal issues with them from what I've heard. Basically bad customer experience with the company, plus he said things about them on a forum they own, so he wasn't happen when he was silenced by the company. That's mainly why he has a chip on his shoulder, I would listen with a grain of salt, research, and make your own decision.
Joseph124 likes this.
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM

Here is the link: https://brokenfiat.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=149. I only delayed because I wasn't sure if I could cross forum link and I am on too many forums to recall all of the specific forum rules; I checked for them here but couldn't find them....anyway, I think it's reasonable to cross link so here we are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page