Information on the AFE Turbo - Page 7 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 24Likes

post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverosx View Post
Here is the link: https://brokenfiat.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=149. I only delayed because I wasn't sure if I could cross forum link and I am on too many forums to recall all of the specific forum rules; I checked for them here but couldn't find them....anyway, I think it's reasonable to cross link so here we are.
Very similar to my personal experience as well as Haz. We tested P2 vs T1 tunes on the track and we noticed the same things. P2 is probably more fun for non-racers who want that quick jolt of boost etc, but I'll keep that out of this thread. I'm more concerned about the turbo options, so that's all I have for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Peehler View Post
Yeah, they had 1.5 out, but John I believe discontinued that to develop it all the way for Stage 2. I have all stage 2 mods right now and he said just keep running stage 1, and wait for the official stage 2 tune. So the 1.5 is no longer available, neither is stage 2.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

@Chainring. I think your car has had some issues on EC & Tork? What about Tork stage 1? My car hasn't had any issues with tunes, so I'm optimistic that my car will work a bit easier. I know some of these cars just have weird issues that take time to sort out, and mine hasn't been one of those (yet). Maybe I won the FCA lottery? lol No oil consumption that I can tell yet, my dyno chart looks almost identical to the one on Tork's website too (minus variations in power levels because of different Dyno's). I also do not have the U76 recall done on mine, so hopefully, that means my car will be more consistent/easier to get working properly. I offered to test some beta versions of the tune and dyno them & provide logs, but he said they have their own cars to do this and didn't want to do it. I assume so I wouldn't post on the forum about how bad it was if it didn't work haha. Understandable, I'd just like more power at this point.

Overall, I've been happy with my car, just looking for more power. I know Brett's car is working well, but it's still a beta tune.

Oh just FYI, the aFe fiat turbo dropped quite a bit in price too, it's like $932.23 shipped now, including the BOV. So if you're considering buying the Forge Motorsports BOV for 1446, it may honestly be worth getting the aFe if it is in fact more efficient. It's probably about $692 more expensive to upgrade to this, than to just do the BOV upgrades on the 1446. At this point, it's cheaper than the intercooler, and not any more expensive than the v4 intake & coil packs, but probably ads more value. Now that it's below $1,000 this turbo is looking more interesting, I just really want dyno charts to be released before I commit to it, honestly. I'm just not convinced that it will make more power across the powerband. Maybe the spool will be a little quicker, and maybe it'll drop off less above 6000, but I just don't think it'll add more than a few horsepower across the powerband. But if on E85, it can add 10-20whp across the powerband, it may honestly be worth it. Figure with Tork Stage 2+ aFe turbo could make 240-250whp, I'd be in.

I think making 240-250whp on a turbo with stock (or quicker) spool is the absolute perfect option until they develop more efficient stuffed turbos. G25-550 seems like a turbo for the drag strip, or possibly HPDE/Track days if you could develop Anti-Lag.
Iíve been running the Tork 1+ since late summer. Only mod was AR axleback. Car performs very well. I may do the intercooler thing this year and then look at the Stage 2 when it comes out, but Iím pretty happy with mine as is.
Brett67 likes this.

2017 Classica, AR resonated exhaust, Tork stage 1+
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:16 PM

It’s an exciting time to own a fiat. There was NOTHING when fiat came to market so it’s so awesome that we’re seeing turbos become common place among enthusiasts!
post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
Iíve been running the Tork 1+ since late summer. Only mod was AR axleback. Car performs very well. I may do the intercooler thing this year and then look at the Stage 2 when it comes out, but Iím pretty happy with mine as is.
Ah man, I'm bummed he wouldn't let me try it out. I have all the stage 2 mods, but he told me that I had to stay on the stage 1 tune until the Stage 2 is developed. I know 1+ would be quite a lot better than what I have now too. One thing I will say, I'm shocked how little difference the downpipe & crosspipe made. No real difference in spool, maybe a touch less lag when going on/off throttle, but it's not 100s of RPMs lower that I can feel. Still working to fab up a better mid pipe, though.

The intercooler definitely helps it breathe in the top end more, I'm happy with that even if my co-driver had to mod a few brackets and trim some stuff to make it fit better. I feel there's a bit more grunt when at full boost, I just can't help but feel I want 200+whp, and I'm probably in the 190s now.

That said, I know the Tork tune runs relatively low boost, so there's quite a bit of room for improvement still.
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM

FYI John told me I need to get a crapton of his mods to get to stage 2, for auto tranny. Such as the MA springs.

NOPE. Rather upgrade the turbo with a decent tune down the road, I think I’d feel safer lol. I see so many people anxious for a good turbo upgrade solution, whoever does it well will get quite a nice amount of market share.

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.

Last edited by MiniDreamCar; 04-16-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
I see.

I was watching an episode of Pistons & Petrol on YouTube and he started going off on EC.

Don't mean to start a bitchfest, but why so much hate of EC?
The difference is in the after sale customer service. I'll stick with EC.

For your reading pleasure. https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...ings-tork.html
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:34 PM

@Finny That thread is pretty much useless. When are the ACTUAL reviews with the CORRECT springs gonna show up?

Also it is irrelevant to THIS thread.

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverosx View Post
..., people will move the goal post even further.
The first place to scoot it back to would be long term trim / memory. You can't just flash a tune and go. The calibration needs to get adjusted for by the ECU. So you can't just hurry up and make runs like shooting a movie scene during a sunset.

The proof is in the pudding, as far as tunes go. Did it improve drivability? Get rid of a power dip? Improve your 1/4 mile times? And whatever your metric, and this goes for any mod: did the change result in a consistent improvement over the pre-change data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikai View Post
Not hate.

But Suspicion.

Specially the 4WD dyno problem that nobody else have
they claim that the vehicle pulls power on a 4WD dyno where no one else has this issue

https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...testing-6.html

Before knowing there was any such debate, I had run my own 124 on a 2-wheel dyno (no tune at the time) and got reasonable results. A year later, I ran again, this time with an OFP calibration, again on a 2-wheel dyno, and got reasonable results. The second time, I made sure to capture video both inside and outside the car, including the dash, and thorough datalogging. I haven't seen anyone post data showing what the ECU is doing to retract power delivery, and my own data didn't show anything that I could see happening (throttle position reduction, boost dump, etc.). Since I'll be installing this aFe turbo and other "power adder" items this year, I've found a more local shop with a dyno, and have time scheduled there. This way, when I get those items installed, I'll at least have the same dyno for pre and post mod runs. And of course my own driving circuit with data logging, too.
klikai likes this.

-Travis
DM Racing USA

Last edited by Deyeme Racing; 04-17-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
@Finny That thread is pretty much useless. When are the ACTUAL reviews with the CORRECT springs gonna show up?

Also it is irrelevant to THIS thread.
If people really wanted to know about the revised springs, I can share my thoughts. I will not do it here though, would be an utter waste of my time
Let's just say I am blown away and happy with the revised springs. If anyone wants more details, contact me. I will not post anything else about this here.
Thanks
Mike34, Phillip33 and Goaterguy like this.

Heritage stripe; Recaro seats; Stage 1+ Tork Tune with WOT & pops & gurgles, LC; Multiair Spring Upgrade; Auto Ricambi Axle-back exhaust; GFB DV+; Forge adapter; st-xta-coil-over-assemblies; Eibach front & rear sway bars; Auto Ricambi strut top brace; Wilwood brakes; Enkei TS10 17X8; Nitto NT05 235/40R17's; Euro red trim; Vent mounted boost gauge;

post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett67 View Post
If people really wanted to know about the revised springs, I can share my thoughts. I will not do it here though, would be an utter waste of my time
Let's just say I am blown away and happy with the revised springs. If anyone wants more details, contact me. I will not post anything else about this here.
Thanks
Shoot me a PM or email. Also, Tell John to get me a better tune . I'm all prepped for stage 2 at this point. Exhaust bits didn't add as much power as I would have liked (spool wise), but the intercooler definitely helps the car breathe more. I know for sure that'll make a big difference when running higher boost levels. Just frustrating to have all of the headway these mods have to offer without the aggressive tune to go with it!

I also need to sort out a legitimate catch can. My co-driver has one laying in his shop that was apparently a top quality catch can back in the day. I may want to hook that up since we found some oil in there. Should help make the tune safer as well without oil dilution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page