New 1.3T Fiat engine slated for Spider 124? - Page 2 - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 10Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Anything is possible, but the current 2020 FIAT 124 code guides still show the 1.4 turbo as the only engine.
See the below thread:
https://www.124spider.org/forum/9-20...3-firefly.html

2018 124 Lusso White/Saddle
2018 Jeep GC
2017 Jeep Renegade
2019 Dodge Challenger AWD GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
My thoughts exactly.
I was wondering, as I read this, if this was a potential means of getting the Spider back into the UK market? Rampant speculation on my part, and I'm not hung up on the actual cc's as much as I am the performance you get from the engine. I mean, look at how much engine tech has improved in the past 20 years.
Aldo likes this.

MOPAR Dead Pedal, Red Vent Bezels, Plexy Windscreen
European Abarth Badging and Engine Cover
EuroCompulsion Intercooler ; V4 Intake System; Catch Can, Phase I & II Tune
Cravenspeed Shift Knob,;Stubby Antenna; Tach Pod Mount, Door Bushings
PTP Turbo Blanket ; Forge BOP; GFB DV+ ; Defi Tach; Hood Lift Kit
Switch Controlled Rear LED Fog Lights

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
1.3 though lol...

Im not even sure if it would have more aftermarket capabilities than the current 1.4...

Hopefully it is much lighter and more efficient? Faster spool would be great.
1368cc vs 1332cc. It is going to have the same capabilities if not more from the direct injection.
Aldo likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDPond View Post
I was wondering, as I read this, if this was a potential means of getting the Spider back into the UK market? Rampant speculation on my part, and I'm not hung up on the actual cc's as much as I am the performance you get from the engine. I mean, look at how much engine tech has improved in the past 20 years.
I don’t really know, sorry. I don’t even know why Fiat stopped selling 124 Spider in the UK.

Ironically, judging by the dozens upon dozens of overwhelmingly positive reviews of 124 Spider I've watched online, Brits seemed the most universally thrilled with the car —followed perhaps by Germans and Australians.

While there are many equally positive American —and Canadian— reviews of 124 Spider, some reviewers can’t seem to get past Miata comparisons...and the cupholders.

2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth

Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. Jay Leno

Last edited by Aldo; 03-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 PM

I wonder if Fiat does change the 124's engine for 2020 if they will stick with the Miata NC transmission? hope so
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
According to what I’ve read, when Fiat was developing the 2017 Spider there wasn’t enough testing done on the new ND transmission to risk using it with the stronger Fiat 1.4T engine.

However, that was then; this is now: Mazda has had 4-5 years since then to test the ND transmission. The Miata 2.0 engine has much stronger numbers for 2019 and comes with the same transmission. My guess is now that sufficient data exists, the ND transmission will be the only going forward.
Boxster2Spider likes this.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:26 AM

Agreed, it would probably get the ND2 tranny unless it gets new FCA ones...which would probably be not as good...

So, it would probably be 2021 with the new engine?

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I read that it’s supposed to be on Spider by 2020. Spider’s production cycle seems to follow MX-5’s by one year.

But this 1.3T is all-new. It still has to appear on Jeep Renegade, Fiat 500 and 500 Abarth, and a bunch of other vehicles with more sales opportunity than 124 Spider so, who knows...

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
According to what Ive read, when Fiat was developing the 2017 Spider there wasnt enough testing done on the new ND transmission to risk using it with the stronger Fiat 1.4T engine.

However, that was then; this is now: Mazda has had 4-5 years since then to test the ND transmission. The Miata 2.0 engine has much stronger numbers for 2019 and comes with the same transmission. My guess is now that sufficient data exists, the ND transmission will be the only going forward.
ND2 tranny is good

ND1 all versions are garbage

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 PM

I've not been as active on the forum recently due to skiing/snowboarding season and work. But I don't believe we'll see the 1.3 in the 124 any time soon. From what I can tell Fiat is doing very little investment in continuing the 124. That doesn't mean they are going to stop it, but if they can't even invest almost no money in getting Apple CarPlay or any of the other Miata 2019 improvements (e.g. door hinges, tilt/telescope steering wheel etc) then I don't see them making the much more significant investment to change the engine to the 1.3.

Remember that the car is built on the Miata production line, so the cost to switch to the 1.3 will be higher than if it was a FCA production line

Just my thoughts, I don't have any inside information on this.

TheSalamander

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page