Best 215/45/17 tires for TRACK? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi guys,

Was about to purchase some Michelin PS4S but my current DD tires are performing really well.

For ONLY track use (and driving to and back, less than 50 miles), what are the best tires for stock wheel measurements?

Usage would be autocross and track days (20 min sessions x 4 per day)/ top-end E class circuit. Ambient temp is 90f all year round, live in Puerto rico.

Tire Rack links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.

Last edited by MiniDreamCar; 04-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My friend uses some Nankans with his 15” and said he compared them with these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47E52BC7-EE25-4CD0-99F9-79500E559226_1554308965864.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	69066  

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
RS4, AD08, RE71 all good
zxtwou2 likes this.

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How much of an improvement are the RE71R or RS4 versus Pilot Sport 4S?

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDreamCar View Post
How much of an improvement are the RE71R or RS4 versus Pilot Sport 4S?
Not on the same level..... All I can say is enormous? One is a summer tire but will overheat and shred on track.

APR Aero Package, DG Motorsport Carbon fiber Hardtop, AFE Intake, MISHIMOTO Catch Can, Forge Blow-off Valve, Full Good Win Racing Exhaust, Progress Sway Bars, Roadsters port Springs, Tork Tune Stage 1+, Tork Intercooler, Freodo DS2500Enkei Japan PFM1 17X9 , RE-71r
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Great. It seems the more consistent/beginner-friendly track tire is the RS-4 from Hankook so will probably order that.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 PM

I think your question was which are "best" track and autocross tires. The RE71R is still the performance standard in the 200 TW category. Many, to include Brian Goodwin, also like the BF Goodrich g-Force Rival S. The RS-4s are good but take a back seat to the two aforementioned tires. I think the RS-4 is popular because it's almost as good but wears better than the other two. I've been very happy with the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs but I believe they are just step behind the RE71R and Rival S. They are also wearing very quickly. You'll see a lot of improvement stepping up to a 200 TW tire.

2018 124 Abarth 6MT Rosso Red | Recaros | Bose | EC Phase 2 | EC Intercooler | EC V4 Intake | hlins FPSpc coilovers | Karcepts F/R sway bars|GWR Roadster Sport exhaust with GWR Sportcat | Wilwood front and rear brakes | Forge Recirculating BOV | Forge Waste Gate Actuator | Enkei TS-10 17x8 | Dunlop Direzza ZIII 235/40R17 | McGard Spline Drive Lugs | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Vaitrix Boost Gauge | Raceseng shift knob | Madness GoPedal Plus | Cobalt Hood Lifts |My build thread
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After researching the best gripping Max performance tires are the RE71.

There are other levels beyond those of course but don’t last at all.

I’ll be getting the RS4 though because they last like 3-5 times more and since I am a beginner it would be the smartest choice for me.

Looking forward to being able to go all out on corners 🙂!

I'll definitely hear them squeal before they lose grip right?! Haha.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 AM

My RE71Rs transformed my car into a completely different, and much more amazing car at autoX. 100%, I'd go with them for autoX. They aren't garbage for daily driving, either..I just wouldn't let them get below 40-45 degrees very often because they will reach their glassing point (most worth while autoX tire will). Rivals and RS4s are also amazing, and the AD08s are great, too. Nexen actually makes a decent tire that the STS Miatas are having good luck with. I can't attest to track days (yet)...because I will be doing my first half-dozen track days this year. But I've been autocrossing 11 years now, and the RE71Rs almost feel as amazing at Hoosier A6s (not the current gen A7s). They really are comparable to the last couple generations of R compound tires.

I know you can't compare because there were different drivers..but a quite experienced (racing since 1996) guy with a 124 Spider that has a tune, 245 Toyo R888 (R comps), coilovers, sway bar, and a few other go fast goodies...was pulling almost identical times as my stock class Abarth with AutoRicambi muffler and RE71Rs (only mods).

I got fastest time of the day on index (FTDI) at an event a week ago, too. I went from being in the top 40% on PAX index every event on stock tires to consistently being in the top 10% of index at each event on RE71Rs.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
For sure I’d get the 71 if I had a bit more of experience to get the best out of them.

Will probably get them the next time around!

Also, that driver had to have something wrong with this, he had way too much parts/experience to be behind you.

Last edited by MiniDreamCar; 04-04-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page