Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

She fired right up!!!!

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
Sorry for shouting in the title.

Those aware of the long issues I've had with this car will perhaps understand!

Finally, a problem I don't have!

She hasn't moved since November, and we had a cold nasty winter and I just went to try and start her - with notes on all the things some have had to try.

She started immediately, smooth and easy.

Thank god for small miracles - I was sure I would end up in the "tow it to the dealer" camp, given my luck.

Not today FCA, not today!!

#5 ·
I hope that I have similar luck this Friday (weather depending), Last year I was in the 'tow to the dealer camp'. I was told by the dealership to NOT depress the accelerator until you get the engine to fire. This Multi-Air engine is finicky after months in hibernation.

#8 ·
Lucky guy. But in light of our current Michigan blizzard, perhaps it wasn't all bad. Next year I'm likely going to have to go in and fire it up for 20 minutes or so every month. Is this a design flaw in this engine? In the 21st century no less...Maybe that is why there are rumors that FIAT will be replacing the 1.4 litre with a 1.3 litre engine........:(

#11 ·
Happened to me like that too. The dealer had it started in less than an hour, I was so pissed. For me, they had to do a combination of things:

- Pull the fuel pump relay and also hold the accelerator down completely
- While it was trying to crank, have someone with an oil squirter (like this) press the valve down in the oil filler cap while squirting oil into it
- Keep cranking using these steps while making sure not to overheat the starter

I don't think I've ever felt as defeated as that time lol...

#13 ·
My thought would be: why do some fail (to start) and some don’t?

#14 ·
My thought exactly. I just spoke with the dealer: it needed new plugs, oil filter & oil change and a new battery (covered by warranty). They will do the re-flashing of the stock tune tomorrow and then add the recall software for the AISIN auto transmission. Next Fall, I am resigned to going to the storage facility every 2-3 weeks and running it for 20 minutes or so just to keep oil pressure up in the Multi-Air engine:(

#15 ·
Good news/bad news: The bad news, the starter is now fried. Fortunately, it occurred at the dealership. The good news, it is covered by warranty. Unfortunately, a new starter is at least a week out from getting to GR. I will have to wait even longer to get the GWR Sport exhaust installed and the EC Phase 1 tune re-installed. The dealership was able to reload the EC stock tune so they could get the recall software installed. Next Fall, I will go to the storage facility every two weeks and warm up the engine for 20 minutes or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.