Any sound deadening value in using a trunk insert? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Any sound deadening value in using a trunk insert?

Wondering if in conjunction with sound deadening tiles a trunk insert may further quiet the back of the 124?

https://autoricambi.us/products/rubb...at-124-2017-on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Does the back produce sound in your 124...? What type of sound?

Mods: Turbo Blanket, GFB DV+, Paddle Shifter Extensions, Tork Tune Stage 1.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have had Miatas (NA and NB) for over 15 years, currently own a Boxster that I am selling. Once it is sold I plan on purchasing a 124 Lusso with LEDs. Doing some research as I am preparing to upgrade soon after purchase .

I have read that sound deadening tiles reduce an unwanted sound emanating from the trunk and was interested in knowing if a rubber trunk insert might further reduce unwanted sounds when used in conjunction.

Last edited by Boxster2Spider; 04-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster2Spider View Post
Wondering if in conjunction with sound deadening tiles a trunk insert may further quiet the back of the 124?

It will help a little just because you're adding some mass but it won't really deaden it in the sense that you'll really absorb vibration. You need a good CLD tile/sound deadener for that.

I'll have some available in a few weeks.
Goaterguy and Boxster2Spider like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster2Spider View Post

Why don't you wait until you purchase and drive a few hundred miles in your Spider before deciding about sound deadening devices? My '17 Classico had no extraneous noise other than other vehicles when the top is down. Trunk deadening will not help that. When top is up, being a convertible top, same scenario unless you are alone on the road...which I happen to enjoy the Spider sounds of the engine, exhaust, etc..

By the way, I love Santa Fe !!! Lucky guy.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Why don't you wait until you purchase and drive a few hundred miles in your Spider before deciding about sound deadening devices? My '17 Classico had no extraneous noise other than other vehicles when the top is down. Trunk deadening will not help that. When top is up, being a convertible top, same scenario unless you are alone on the road...which I happen to enjoy the Spider sounds of the engine, exhaust, etc..

By the way, I love Santa Fe !!! Lucky guy.....
That trunk pan being flat and having no sound deadener transfers a LOT of road noise into the cabin when the top is up, and on Abarth models or any louder exhausts resonates at certain RPMs pretty badly. Sound deadener for the trunk is an absolute must on these cars. It made a much bigger difference than I thought it would and everyone who's done it insists it's one of the first things you should do to this car.
Racer27, jetlag and Boxster2Spider like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:01 PM

Yes, apply sound deadening tiles to the trunk pan and related sheet metal surfaces. The belly of the trunk is one giant kettle drum. Low cost, high return (in driving enjoyment), and easy to do. The trunk carpet lining is easy to remove and reinstall, check other threads for tips.

I think I used 6 or 7 tiles in my trunk, cutting them into halves and thirds and applying as a patchwork, as other have shown with photos. They really do a lot to knock down the vibes coming through that sheet metal and through the cabin.

Order some. On installation day, go for a one hour drive first. City streets and highway. Top up and down. Radio on and off. Then install the tiles, and then repeat your drive. You will be very pleased when that background humming/buzzing/white noise is controlled. The radio sounds better and the volume can be turned down to still hear detail. Modified exhaust systems will sound better. Stock exhaust systems will sound better. There is just a whole lot less white noise. Get them, they work.

Steve.
Goaterguy likes this.

"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica.

2018 Suzuki DL650 XT VStrom

I've always said, "If, one day, I can no longer ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a convertible." Life is too short. Don't wait to get your convertible.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
I guess being a little on the deaf side is one of the few benefits of being older. With the top up I believe it is a **** of a lot quieter than my NA was.
jetlag likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Tiles do help reduce the detonation, but also if Fiat would extend the pipes 1" out, it would reduce even more. I noticed that i my Abarth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_203006.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	69508  
Boxster2Spider and Aldo like this.

124 RED SPIDER MANUAL STICK ABARTH. FORGE VALVE V4.1 Euro-drive-lite- RACE + map, NGEN Coils and PTP turbo thermal blanket, catch can and REMUS Axleback exhaust with Carbon Fiber tips.
My SCATOLETTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page