Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Any sound deadening value in using a trunk insert?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  XtremeRevolution 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Does the back produce sound in your 124...? What type of sound?

#3 · (Edited)
I have had Miatas (NA and NB) for over 15 years, currently own a Boxster that I am selling. Once it is sold I plan on purchasing a 124 Lusso with LEDs. Doing some research as I am preparing to upgrade soon after purchase .

I have read that sound deadening tiles reduce an unwanted sound emanating from the trunk and was interested in knowing if a rubber trunk insert might further reduce unwanted sounds when used in conjunction.

#4 ·
It will help a little just because you're adding some mass but it won't really deaden it in the sense that you'll really absorb vibration. You need a good CLD tile/sound deadener for that.

I'll have some available in a few weeks.

#6 ·
Why don't you wait until you purchase and drive a few hundred miles in your Spider before deciding about sound deadening devices? My '17 Classico had no extraneous noise other than other vehicles when the top is down. Trunk deadening will not help that. When top is up, being a convertible top, same scenario unless you are alone on the road...which I happen to enjoy the Spider sounds of the engine, exhaust, etc..

By the way, I love Santa Fe !!! Lucky guy.....

#7 ·
That trunk pan being flat and having no sound deadener transfers a LOT of road noise into the cabin when the top is up, and on Abarth models or any louder exhausts resonates at certain RPMs pretty badly. Sound deadener for the trunk is an absolute must on these cars. It made a much bigger difference than I thought it would and everyone who's done it insists it's one of the first things you should do to this car.

#8 ·
Yes, apply sound deadening tiles to the trunk pan and related sheet metal surfaces. The belly of the trunk is one giant kettle drum. Low cost, high return (in driving enjoyment), and easy to do. The trunk carpet lining is easy to remove and reinstall, check other threads for tips.

I think I used 6 or 7 tiles in my trunk, cutting them into halves and thirds and applying as a patchwork, as other have shown with photos. They really do a lot to knock down the vibes coming through that sheet metal and through the cabin.

Order some. On installation day, go for a one hour drive first. City streets and highway. Top up and down. Radio on and off. Then install the tiles, and then repeat your drive. You will be very pleased when that background humming/buzzing/white noise is controlled. The radio sounds better and the volume can be turned down to still hear detail. Modified exhaust systems will sound better. Stock exhaust systems will sound better. There is just a whole lot less white noise. Get them, they work.

Steve.

#10 ·
Tiles do help reduce the detonation, but also if Fiat would extend the pipes 1" out, it would reduce even more. I noticed that i my Abarth.

Attachments

#11 ·
Imagine you are relaxing in your favorite easy chair, your favorite beverage and snack on the side table, your favorite show on the TV. There is also a big window fan blowing in the room. You can hear the TV, but... Then you turn off the fan. The quality and experience of your show just increased a bunch of points on your happy meter.

That's what putting those sound tiles in your trunk is like.

Steve.

Reactions: Boxster2Spider
#12 ·
I use the cheap noico sound deadening tiles on my Abarth in conjunction with an auto ricambi non-resonated exhaust and it's pretty much perfect. I don't really see a need for that trunk insert in order to quiet everything down but if after putting in deadening materials it still annoys you then it would help a small bit.

#13 ·
I've used the tiles and it does help alot..once my catback bedded in (and yes in installed it with tips 1inch beyond the bumper) the tiles make a huge difference. Must do mod

#15 ·
Production is actually expected to be completed today. Shipping time is approximately 30 days. I received that update 4 days ago so it should be accurate.

Attachments

#17 ·
I received the tiles! Will wait until next Monday to install, temperature high will be at 95 F so the tiles will be soft and sticky.
Is there an updated (more efficient) placement of the tiles or the one shown on the video at the beginning of the thread is still the best?
The instructions in the video are still good. You're going for approximately 25-33% coverage, or about one tile per square foot. Using more won't hurt, you just won't see as big of an improvement beyond that point.

The butyl formula in these tiles is a little bit more flexible than SDS's CLD tiles were and is VERY sticky. Once it has gone through a few heat cycles, that stuff is never coming off without a scraper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.