Telescoping steering wheel : Mazda to FIAT? - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 18Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Telescoping steering wheel : Mazda to FIAT?

Aloha...a lot of us have mentioned that we are disappointed in FCA not including the TILT and TELESCOPING steering wheels in our 124 Spiders. ( Column Assembly - Fiat (68313938aa) )

Btw the Mazda parts is less than $300 and the Fiat part is close to $800.

Has anyone attempted to purchase the Mazda MX-5 part ( Column Assembly - Mazda (ND6N-32-100) ) and swap it to the FIAT 124?

I’m just looking now online at Mazda/FIAT at parts sites and the drawings look the same. Of course I’m NOT holding them in hand and seeing what’s different. But again the drawings LOOK exactly the same.

Just food for thought....

Does anybody have a “ parts counter friend” that can bring in the part, check it out and confirm if the mounting is the same?

Aloha mike
Fireblade908 likes this.

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike34 View Post
Aloha...a lot of us have mentioned that we are disappointed in FCA not including the TILT and TELESCOPING steering wheels in our 124 Spiders. ( Column Assembly - Fiat (68313938aa) )

Btw the Mazda parts is less than $300 and the Fiat part is close to $800.

Has anyone attempted to purchase the Mazda MX-5 part ( Column Assembly - Mazda (ND6N-32-100) ) and swap it to the FIAT 124?

Iím just looking now online at Mazda/FIAT at parts sites and the drawings look the same. Of course Iím NOT holding them in hand and seeing whatís different. But again the drawings LOOK exactly the same.

Just food for thought....

Does anybody have a ď parts counter friendĒ that can bring in the part, check it out and confirm if the mounting is the same?

Aloha mike

I would love to read more about this as well. The one thing I notice in my Fiat is that the steering wheel is either too far away, or my seat is too close to the wheel. I just cannot get comfortable, after a while you get used to it, but after storing it all winter, I felt like everything was just so off.

Anyone else with info on this would be greatly appreciated!
motojo likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 AM

I think there will be lots of interest in this if it's possible.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM

Not exactly a solution but I've considered a steering wheel spacer in lieu of the telescopic adjustment.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:42 AM

Vincent, I have the spacer and really like it ,,,but, if you do it, have the small harness ends that is supplied wrapped or tied down someway inside, or the dang thing will drive you nuts rattling.
Boxster2Spider likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Mike, if you've been to the Mazda dealer, I take it you've sat in the Miata and tried out the TELESCOPING feature? So the 30 mm of movement is really helpful?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridan View Post
Mike, if you've been to the Mazda dealer, I take it you've sat in the Miata and tried out the TELESCOPING feature? So the 30 mm of movement is really helpful?
I test drove an RF miata at the Houston Auto Show earlier this year, it really made a huge difference. Now that I've experienced how comfortable it is possible to be, I wish it was a feature on our car so bad.

- Jonathan

2017 Abarth - Russo with heritage stripe - Recaros - Brembos - Bose Package
Mods: Cat-back un-resonated GWR exhaust - EC v4 intake - EC Intercooler - EC Catch Can - GFB DV+ - Raceseng Circuit Cylinder shift knob - Stubby Antenna - Blackbird Fabworx roll bar - EC Phase 2 tune - 4C coil packs - Brisk spark plugs - Vaitrix boost gauge
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Venat View Post
Not exactly a solution but I've considered a steering wheel spacer in lieu of the telescopic adjustment.
I actually have the spacer....for over a year...I just haven't installed it. Trying to decide when I do..get a aftermarket steering wheel and do it all the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridan View Post
I haven't @ameridan just over an inch isn't much telescoping affect...but its better then none. I'm just putting the idea out there to HELP SPEND MY FORUM brothers and sisters cash!!! lol

aloha mike
jopo likes this.

Aloha Mike"Wendi" '17 124 Spider Abarth Bianco w/vinyl wrap Heritage stripe ~ 6MT, Cobalt hood lifts, RED-Forge BOV. EC Intercooler, EC V4 intake, Alfa 4C Coils, EC-tune PH1&2, Vaitrix 30psi Boost Gauge, AMSOIL and PTP Thermal blanket, Redline shifter/parking brake boots (Alcantara), Red - Vents, Anodized Scorpion oil cap, mirror covers & lip. Scorpion engine cover. Scorpion console Lid, Auto Ricambi Muffler delete w/resonators, CS Door Bushings (RED) Mishimoto tank & CarPlay
Aloha! !! !!!!

Last edited by Mike34; 05-02-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike34 View Post
I'm just putting the idea out there to HELP SPEND MY FORUM bothers and sisters cash!!! lol

aloha mike
Sorry, I'd only be interested in this if it filled the interior with intense RED light when it is being adjusted...otherwise...No Dice!!
jopo and Mike34 like this.

"Pearl" 2017 124 Spider Abarth AT Bianco Perla; AA/CarPlay; AIO tweaks; Eurospec Abarth Engine Cover, Red Bits & Side Badges; Eurospec "Officine Abarth" Floor Mat Badges; Bright Dead Pedal; Destructo/Murat Abarth Steering Wheel Badge v.2; Record Monza Exhaust; Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston Big Brake Kit; Cravenspeed Red Door Bushings.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM

Garage
I just took a look at the Mazda and Mopar drawings and you are right, they are identical.

That doesn't make any sense. The column would have to be different to accommodate the telescoping part.

I also think that more parts would be involved then just the steering column. There must be a clamp assembly to hold the wheel in place, and I assume at least one bezel would be different.

I took a look at Mazda steering wheel, upper column, and the Mazda clock spring parts. I saw nothing that looked like telescoping wheel parts. I looked at 2019 Club & RF.

It looks like all of the drawings I found are of the non telescoping wheel. Not very helpful.
jopo and Mike34 like this.

2017 Abarth 124 Spider
Manual Transmission, Bianco Perla, Nero/Rosso Seats, Lux Package.
Mods:
GFB DV+, Euro Abarth Engine Cover, Euro Red Mirror Caps and Lower Front Facia Trim, (Lip) Rosso Air Vents, Redline Goods Shift Boot, Handbrake Boot and Armrest, Coco Mats Red and Black "Chequers" Floor Mats, Braille B2015 AGM Battery, Eurocompulsion V4 Intake, Motor-O-Polis/Guardian Design D Shape Steering Wheel.
More To Come...

Also:
2014 Fiat 500L
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page