Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Average MPG

14K views 59 replies 34 participants last post by  pepsyman1 
#1 ·
I see the odometer lists two separate "Average MPG" listings of different amounts. Is one for one of the trip meters and the other for the total odometer miles on the vehicle?

#34 ·
forty what now?! The only time I see that is down hill with a following breeze!

Cruising at just shy of 75, I’ll see just over 30mpg, averaging, now, about 26mpg. This is comparable between miles covered per tank vs. the dash reading.

I’m curious why there’s such a big difference between cars.

#33 ·
I guess I should say I live at 6,500 then lol.

#35 ·
I do a trip 3 to 4 times a year from my house just north of I-80 in Pennsylvania to western New York about 100 miles each way. The whole trip is back country mountain roads and each time I average 39 mpg for the trip. I am convinced if i was farther west and the ground was flatter I would have no problems getting into the low 40’s.

#41 ·
91 Octane gas is recommended but the owner's manual state that 87 octane can be used. It says that 87-90 octane will reduce performance slightly such as reduced engine output and engine knocking. It also says that while using 87 hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern.

#45 · (Edited)
Hey uhhhh engine knocking is a cause for concern...lol. Using a grade lower than 91 octane temporarily is fine, i.e. if you pull up to a gas station and they don't offer it. If you constantly put 87 octane in your engine it will legitimately affect reliability later down the road.

It's your car, not mine, so I'm not going to tell you what to do. I'm just suggesting that you really don't regularly fill up your car with 87 octane. Cheers.

#43 ·
The price difference between regular and premium used to be ten cents. Now its a dollar. In Illinois, they sell 87, 89, and 93. So if I had the motivation, and time, I would alternate 89 and 93, filling up every half tank. In actuality, I'll just use 93, since I am not using the car for a commute and so my miles are few.

#44 ·
Why should you waste the money?

As you wrote :

1) "91 Octane gas is recommended..."

2) "...It says that 87-90 octane will reduce performance slightly such as reduced engine output and engine knocking."

3) "It also says that while using 87 hearing a light knocking sound from the engine..."

You make a really good argument here... To use 91+ Octane fuel.

Reactions: jetlag
#46 ·
Yesterday I paid $4/gallon for mid grade gas —they didn’t have premium. I can’t remember the last time fuel prices were this high. I am absolutely loving the fuel economy of my Spider.

Coming from a Jeep Wrangler, the Fiat’s fuel economy is addictive! I’m going to have driven 2,000 miles in the first month; that’s twice the miles I normally drive in one month.

#48 ·
It would be interesting to see a comparison of mileage between Sport and Normal modes on the Abarth Spiders. Of course for me "Normal" IS Sport mode, but that's a separate discussion. :D It is an absolute pleasure to pull up to a pump in the Spider and leave $12.00 later. With my SUV, it can be up to five times that amount! Also, has anyone had any experience running non-ethanol 91+ octane gas? It's sort of hard to find, but there are a few places in my area where I can get it. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra cost and effort.

#49 ·
Normal mode should not exist lol.

I guess it is a rainy day button / long distance cruiser mode? XD

#50 ·
Do any of you guys used additives after oil changes? My friend suggested I do so. Those little bottles they sell that auto shops.

#56 ·
Break in is 1k

#57 ·
It may very well be that the first few miles are dragging down your average - the first 5 to 10 miles were probably at around 4mpg. You can reset the mpg and have a do-over to see what you get under your conditions.

I don't get as high as some people - low 20's around town but 30's on the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.