Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Abarth. Added a go-pedal and chipbox and the performance puts a smile on my face whenever I'm on the open road. Only problem is that for city driving, the initial acceleration sucks until the turbo kicks in. Does anyone know of proven ways to improve 0-30 acceleration?

I have a K&S air filter on the way because I read that this may help the turbo spin up faster by increasing airflow. Any other mods you can recommend?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,451 Posts
Cross pipe! It is pure evil. Crush bends choking it down and disrupting flow pattern.

Stock:

2.5" GWR Crosspipe, 2.25" from them would look similar.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are using the sport button right? And when do you shift to second. I still don’t notice the turbo lag as the turbo kicks in at 2500 rpm... And that is less than a second into my drive...from there I keep the revs between 3000 and 5500K. Exactly where is this turbo lag that everyone keeps talking about, and I am referring to the Abarth model only.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You are using the sport button right? And when do you shift to second. I still don’t notice the turbo lag as the turbo kicks in at 2500 rpm... And that is less than a second into my drive...from there I keep the revs between 3000 and 5500K. Exactly where is this turbo lag that everyone keeps talking about, and I am referring to the Abarth model only.
There is plenty of turbo lag at any revs, more noticeable in manual tranny. Because when you mash the throttle, even if at 3,000, the PSI needs to build - 10, 15, then 20-23 peak, then power.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The boost threshold is reasonably high, but lag isnt bad. Different things often confused. Small turbo, lag ok.

You may just need to adjust driving style. It's an engine, so produces power even when not on boost and you certsinly dont need full boost to make progress.

I can only speak for the manual here , but it's all about clutch control, letting some boost come in then clutching and not allowing to bog down and spend too long pre boost.

The chip box will have made the torque curve more aggressive which will amplify the feeling of the threshold. Just need to get used to it

Now, i can do 0-30 in 2.2s according to Dragy. That's genuinely quick and in EV territory (not Tesla...) and I by no means abused the clutch or over strained anything.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I can only speak for the manual here , but it's all about clutch control, letting some boost come in then clutching and not allowing to bog down and spend too long pre boost.
Bingo. Maintain enough throttle to stay near/at/above 2500 when clutching and this turbo lag issue is moot. Just don't let all the way off the gas when clutching/shifting. It also makes for cleaner rev-matching and smoother acceleration. It's a refined skill, but one you'll enjoy using once you see the results. Skilled motorcycle riders are doing the same thing, without turbos.

Steve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ll say it again, when sport button is on, i notice no turbo lag when driving. i always have plenty of nice usable torque. And i keep revs pretty much between 3000 and 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
648 Posts
^And that is a good definition of lag (or lack off).

Seen quite a few posts on with confusion around threshold. Even with a tune, the boost threshold IS quite high on these cars. Many VAG stuff now has boost starting at <2000 rpm. My mates Golf GTI comes in at 1900.

However, once in the boost zone (~2500+) assuming nothing is wrong with your car, I find there to be very little lag. Actually, throttle response is pretty immediate which is surprising given its throttle-by-wire and a turbo...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gofast PArts DV+ diverter valve, about $140 from Goodwin among others..almost universally recommended and a very easy install...

·
Registered
648 Posts
I messed up the 2nd to 3rd shift, but this was a quick 0-30. Also, 0-50 in under 5s puts these cars in a decent class when talking lower speed acceleration. Mainly due to weight, torque and rwd.

Looking at similar numbers on Dragy, you need well over 200hp in a front wheel hatch to match these sub 60 times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered the Goodwin Racing "System One" with the "RoadsterSport HighFlow Crosspipe". Looking forward to getting this installed and seeing if / how much of a difference it makes in the turbo spooling up :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well I have laid down a 2.32 0-30 as a target! haha

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just ordered the Goodwin Racing "System One" with the "RoadsterSport HighFlow Crosspipe". Looking forward to getting this installed and seeing if / how much of a difference it makes in the turbo spooling up :)
You will notice fantastic sound from the System One. You will notice less lag with the cross-pipe. Since you are combining both, you get all the benefits!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy sheeeet!!!! I just picked up my upgraded car with the System One and RoadsterSport brand Crosspipe. Wow! What a noticeable performance increase. The turbo kicks in really fast and the car just feels like it has considerably more power. The sound is amazing. It's like unleashing a beast.

I've never randomly laughed out loud more often and with a continuous grin on my face than the last 30 min driving this home. Brian Goodwin steered me to a local shop that did a great job with the install.

I'll try to time acceleration and post here. All in was about $1500 for the parts and about $300 for the installation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts