Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Whoever is having more fun wins. Drag races are a pissing contest.
You're absolutely right, but even I'll admit that on the same token no one wants to be the one to dribble on their shoes. ;)

Having said that, proving myself to others is not why I bought a 124. For the money there are infinitely better options to be had if that was the intention, especially if also considering what's available on the second hand market.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
This thread subject was a 0-60. I dared to suggest it was a meaningless measure subject to too many variables and not "real world" because nobody drives like that 99.99% of the time and I get flamed for suggesting it. I don't think it was off topic.
I'm not flaming you, I just happen to think that it is an important metric for some people, mostly in the USA.

As for the ESC v LSD thing, yes they are both improve control in very different ways. With a RWD car I'd lose ESC before I'd want to lose LSD.
Alfa Romeo, Fiat, and see it differently ;)

Greg

·
Registered
615 Posts
All that aside, I've come to understand that the point of the post is to ascertain whether or not people are wasting their money by fitting various performance upgrades, and acknowledge that to achieve this we need baseline performance figures, which 0-60 is undisputedly one of.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
All that aside, I've come to understand that the point of the post is to ascertain whether or not people are wasting their money by fitting various performance upgrades, and acknowledge that to achieve this we need baseline performance figures, which 0-60 is undisputedly one of.
Well said... that is all I am asking.:)

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You're absolutely right, but even I'll admit that on the same token no one wants to be the one to dribble on their shoes. ;)

Having said that, proving myself to others is not why I bought a 124. For the money there are infinitely better options to be had if that was the intention, especially if also considering what's available on the second hand market.
I agree...I did not buy the 124 for drag racing. Too many other options for that. I was involved with that for years and kept it to the race track. Those days are over for me. However I still would like to get as much performance out of it as reasonably possible. I still enjoy the feeling of acceleration>:)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Don't we all? The cars in my garage are all about fun. But I wouldn't back either of them to embarrass an reasonably competent family SUV away from a set of traffic lights.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Understandably so, ESC is designed to stop folks wandering off into the bushes. It isn't a performance enhancing technology like a LSD.
Exactly

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I went out for a drive just a little while ago and couldn't resist just one quick pull to 60 mph. The ambient was actually 86 compared to 75 before and I had only 1/4 tank of gas. I brought it up to about 2300 rpm before take off. I let the computer shift from 1-2 at 6250 then moved it over to manual for the 2/3 shift and ran it out to 6500 then shut down. The road was sticky because of bright sun and warmer temps so no wheel slippage today. All this added up to a new best of 6.10 secs. I am now fairly certain 5.9s are obtainable. This is one fun little car...ready to run the curvy mountain roads, the autocross track or just a straight interstate on the way home. Enjoy your Spider today...take a drive.;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went out for a drive just a little while ago and couldn't resist just one quick pull to 60 mph. The ambient was actually 86 compared to 75 before and I had only 1/4 tank of gas. I brought it up to about 2300 rpm before take off. I let the computer shift from 1-2 at 6250 then moved it over to manual for the 2/3 shift and ran it out to 6500 then shut down. The road was sticky because of bright sun and warmer temps so no wheel slippage today. All this added up to a new best of 6.10 secs. I am now fairly certain 5.9s are obtainable. This is one fun little car...ready to run the curvy mountain roads, the autocross track or just a straight interstate on the way home. Enjoy your Spider today...take a drive.;)
My best so far is 6.54. I am not exceeding 2000 rpm at start. I have not installed a new exhaust system. Still debating that. (For you Aussies, the exhaust mod is not so much for 0-60, but for sound.)

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My best so far is 6.54. I am not exceeding 2000 rpm at start. I have not installed a new exhaust system. Still debating that. (For you Aussies, the exhaust mod is not so much for 0-60, but for sound.)
Yea...have not decided on the full exhaust system yet. Still trying to get some extra data. I am sure it would help spool up on the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Yea...have not decided on the full exhaust system yet. Still trying to get some extra data. I am sure it would help spool up on the turbo.
Still waiting on the availability of the Record Monza exhaust but it's going to be USD$1.5k here apparently.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm not sure, but I think it's may just be rear muffler.

Can you put an aftermarket exhaust on over there? Is it legal? That exhaust looks like one tip on each side bypassing the muffler and one tip each side through the muffler.You could even have a good muffler shop put a muffler delete one together for you like I have on my car right now for considerably less money. Here's a picture of mine. I can also understand keeping it OEM with factory parts. Just a thought.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
what difference have you noticed with that set up? Just different sound or better (or worse!) engine pickup?
Do you get any resonance at certain speeds?
As you say that has to be the easiest back box (muffler) delete.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
what difference have you noticed with that set up? Just different sound or better (or worse!) engine pickup?
Do you get any resonance at certain speeds?
As you say that has to be the easiest back box (muffler) delete.
No drone or resonance at any rpm. The sound is considerably better. The way it should have been to start with. As far as performance I am sure it reduces backpressure a little which can increase turbo spool up. I have other mods that would not allow me to see a difference in the muffler hence my improved 0-60 times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in love with the sound of the record monza exhaust. Sounds angry. Lots of pops and burbling.

I've heard the muffler delete online too. engine sounds huge with that, definitely not like a 1.4L 4 cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Can you put an aftermarket exhaust on over there? Is it legal? That exhaust looks like one tip on each side bypassing the muffler and one tip each side through the muffler.You could even have a good muffler shop put a muffler delete one together for you like I have on my car right now for considerably less money. Here's a picture of mine. I can also understand keeping it OEM with factory parts. Just a thought.;)
You know, I'm not sure that it is technically legal here. It's a bimodal system and unless it's factory fitted, bimodal systems aren't legal for "aftermarket" fittment here. Dealer fit is considered aftermarket. You can fit an aftermarket system here...it just can't be bimodal.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts