Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did hit the 1000 mark, and looking at the car computer, it seems that a scheduled maintenance service is overdue (btw the computer setting for scheduled maintenance alerts was turned off)

The dealer said at 1000 miles they need an inspection and oil change, to keep the warranty; so I did schedule one.

So far, the car seems fine, although when I push it, especially in sport mode, I smell kinda like burned material. Can't say what is related to (engine, exhaust system, rubber pipes and parts, oil and such), but it is something that you notice, when pushing the car, especially uphill. It does not smell in other conditions.
I did check the oil level and it is fine; color seems fine too, so I am not sure if this is normal for a new car or not; I never experienced that kind of smell after pushing any other car I did own.

Did you change your oil at the 1000 mark? Anything else that you had done on your 124?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've seen nothing in either the manual maintenance section, or from the car itself, that a service is needed at 1000 miles. I just past that and had no plans to do anything.

Not saying an oil change isn't a good idea at this point - just seen nothing to suggest it's required.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your onboard computer telling you? Mine was turned off for all the service notifications; and when I did turn it on it was telling me that a service is overdue. I am at 1120 miles as today.

I did send out a mail to Fiat, to figure out if there is an issue on the onboard computer, and to find out if the dealer is trying to be "smart".

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never heard of a 1000 mile maintenance - I think your dealer is missing a 0. Mine came with the maintenance and tire rotation monitors set for a 10,000 interval, the oil change was fixed at "flexible". The oil change first came on at 6900 mile, and just came on again at 17,200.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I changed my oil at 1000 only because I was awaiting delivery of the new oil and filters. I like to do a new vehicle oil change by 500 miles, just to flush the engine of any machining leftovers and initial wear particulates. I'm sure that my oil was fine, but I wanted the junk out.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
That service was a con job. There is no legitimate reason for the dealer to touch the car until the first scheduled oil change. The timing will vary due to duty cycle, but this business you were treated to is very, very old school! Did they tell you to return in 2500 miles for another?
This is a really nasty business practice. It fleeced you and wasted valuable resources.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah the message should come on after about a year of specific miles based on type of driving.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Pete, I agree on the fleece job, but wasting resources? Recycling resources would be more accurate. No used motor oil, from shops or dealers anyway, goes into the waste stream, it will get reprocessed and find its way to a fleet buyer, like school busses.

Pleasure driving, now that is wasting resources (and I am guilty of that). No getting back that burned gasoline to recycle for another purpose.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound mean, it just gets me a bit when all of us drivers now want to help conserve oil by not changing it like we used to, but we then go out and burn gas like its no big deal. And some in modified cars that burn it even faster.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
No, you are right. I didn't want to sound so strident. I suppose the real resource waste was relieving spiderlovah of $50-70 and his time. This oil change game really ticks me off.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
This is not one dealer but a couple of them, the cars when new, the oil in the new engines has some special additives especially for the break in period. I was told to do an oil change every 8k km. but for the first oil change, 5-k km would be better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Me too..

This is not one dealer but a couple of them, the cars when new, the oil in the new engines has some special additives especially for the break in period. I was told to do an oil change every 8k km. but for the first oil change, 5-k km would be better.
My dealer said 5,000 miles for the first oil change

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dealer wants $120 for an oil change. Ridiculous. I'm going to do it myself (with the help of a car buddy). My car has about 3,000 miles on it which is "early" according to the manufacture guidance but "late" according to my gut instinct about getting the machining debris out of the engine....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Every dealer I've known has suggested service intervals of 5000 miles / 6 months, regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. Not surprising - increasing gaps between services must hit their income stream from servicing pretty hard.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'll be changing mine every 5000 miles because I have a tune, and I drive it hard.

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
IIRC, the owner's manual recommends a service interval of 4,000 miles under spirited driving conditions. Due to how sensitive our hydraulic components are, I would not recommend exceeding that service interval.

That being said, I will be getting oil analysis done to determine what my personal service interval should be, since my driving conditions are exclusively spirited/hard driving with short trip duration. I work from home full time, so time will be more of a factor for me than mileage.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
IIRC, the owner's manual recommends a service interval of 4,000 miles under spirited driving conditions. Due to how sensitive our hydraulic components are, I would not recommend exceeding that service interval.

That being said, I will be getting oil analysis done to determine what my personal service interval should be, since my driving conditions are exclusively spirited/hard driving with short trip duration. I work from home full time, so time will be more of a factor for me than mileage.
I see that for "severe duty", which it defines as dusty conditions, lengthy idling, and very low rpms.

Change Engine Oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominately at idle or only very low engine RPM’s. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'll be changing mine every 5000 miles because I have a tune, and I drive it hard.
I was thinking let the dealer have it at the 10K / 1 year intervals - I'm not really set up to do all the recommended maintenance at home - and do an oil change myself every 5K / 6 months in between. Unless the oil life indicator suggests otherwise.

I don't drive it hard all the time, but it is tuned so...

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
I see that for "severe duty", which it defines as dusty conditions, lengthy idling, and very low rpms.
You're right, I had confused that since everyone else makes a distrinction between only normal and severe service, and FIAT for some reason includes normal, heavy, and severe service. Many oil and auto manufacturers include the conditions FIAT listed under "severe duty" but also mention short trips, cold weather, stop and go traffic, and dusty conditions under the reduced mileage "severe service."

·
Registered
587 Posts
Cars DO NOT use break-in oil as they did in some many years ago. Tolerances are so close these days that if you find a minute piece of something in the oil if you needlessly drain it at 500 or 100 miles it would not do any harm.

And before someone asks why the Corvette Z06 has a recommended 500 mile oil change it is because some cars may have the anti-foaming properties of the initial oil fill degraded by the silicone sealants used as gaskets in the Z51 and Z06 dry sump systems, which is not the case with 124s (or the vast majority of other cars).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts