Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the going rate?. I would have never purchased these springs with that cost. What did u pay for install?.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
About USD$650. And that's in a country with twice the USA's labor rates! And that included the springs!

It's about 3 hours labor to install the springs plus the cost of a wheel alignment.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy s---- !, that's a good deal. I read some other posts that my quote is the norm in th U.S..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ouch, that really is too much.

Perhaps it is because the installer doesn't know the car, and doesn't have shop rates? Find out what the cost is for a Miata.

(For that price, I'll come over and do it for $1050...heh)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
$210 per wheel, not including alignment. So it's not my imagination, this is to high?.
It's about 3 hours labor to install the springs plus the cost of a wheel alignment

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
$260 to align the suspension...wow...it took me about 6 hours to change the springs out on my own...they should be able to do it quicker than that...I would think no more than 4 hours...how much do they charge per hour???...say it did take them 6 hours at a high price of $100/hour...that plus a high price of $100 for an alignment would only be in the $700 range....yes I think they are way to high for my part of the country...some areas have higher labor rates though but still seems too much...shop around first......

·
Registered
958 Posts
Let's do the math: If Pure can do it in 6 hours without a lift, the dealer/garage can do it in less time. If the shop charges $100 and hour, that's $600. $1100 is a complete rip off. Bring it to my house. I will do it for $800.

·
Registered
67 Posts
$260 to align the suspension...wow...it took me about 6 hours to change the springs out on my own...they should be able to do it quicker than that...I would think no more than 4 hours...how much do they charge per hour???...say it did take them 6 hours at a high price of $100/hour...that plus a high price of $100 for an alignment would only be in the $700 range....yes I think they are way to high for my part of the country...some areas have higher labor rates though but still seems too much...shop around first......
Do you remember what you used to get to the 14mm upper mount bolts on the rears? Looks like it's too tight to get a ratchet and socket in there. Just wondering if a 14mm box would work??? Thanks. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The ratcheting box end is the greatest invention in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
While there are no special challenges, you will need to unbolt the upper a-arm. Likely the brake and speed sensor from that arm to avoid any potential stretching or damage, though not absolutely necessary.

The a-arm needs moving just a few inches to get the shock/spring out easily. Once it's out, just put the bolts into the A-arm to hold it in place while you do the spring. You have to re-torque the upper a-arm bolts anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts